Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Router security reset for some reason?

Options
  • 27-01-2012 8:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭

I was having trouble getting my iPod touch to connect to my wireless network, so I went in to check the security settings, only to find they'd been cleared. I only set the security on the router last year when I found a strange name on my network, but have had it on ever since. The router was plugged out for several days over Christmas, although I'm sure I've connected with my iPod since then. If it just reset due to a power failure or something, I'm fine, but I'm a little worried that my router security has been compromised by someone. Then again, if they had the power to get into my router settings, they probably wouldn't just reset security and move on, they'd change passwords at the very least.

Anyone know any common or garden reasons that the security on a router would be reset?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

Any kids in the house over christmas?

Most likely reason is that the router was returned to factory defaults. This can usually be done via the web interface or via a button on the router (you may need a pointy thing to press it). It could have been caused by a fault in your router too, which isn't a problem unless it happens again.

I wouldn't be too worried about the cause being an intruder as I agree with your logic. An intruder would not turn off the security as they'd have no reason to and it would be likely to get them detected.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

Thanks zab, no, no kids in the house over xmas (invited kids anyway :)). I figured some sort of glitch, so I'll keep an eye on it, although I should have probably added that as soon as I switched back to WEP, the password I did have in there before came back up, so it was entirely reset.

I guess I'll just keep an eye on it -the router is at least 4 years old by now, so might be coming to the end of its life, and at least my iPod touch is a sort of early warning system for it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭jamesd

corblimey wrote: »
    Thanks zab, no, no kids in the house over xmas (invited kids anyway :)). I figured some sort of glitch, so I'll keep an eye on it, although I should have probably added that as soon as I switched back to WEP, the password I did have in there before came back up, so it was entirely reset.

I guess I'll just keep an eye on it -the router is at least 4 years old by now, so might be coming to the end of its life, and at least my iPod touch is a sort of early warning system for it :)

Does it only support WEP? Can you put WAP or WPA2 on instead as more secure.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

jamesd wrote: »
    Does it only support WEP? Can you put WAP or WPA2 on instead as more secure.

I believe at the time I set it up, the iPod Touch only supports WEP so that's the route I went down. That may not be the case any longer - the route itself supports WAP and WPA and all that good stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭jamesd

If your worried that someone might try and get in anyways just switch to WPA and see does the touch still work.

• Advertisement
Advertisement