Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Great British Railway Journeys - BBC2

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Certainly plenty of butter being consumed by the locals anyway :pac:

Bring back the "Butter Voucher" I say....:eek:

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,247 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

parsi wrote: »
    To add a dash of topicality - The Junction looked well on tonight's programme. Must have caught it on the one good day.

The Junction is a wonderful place at the best of times with the rolling expanse of the now renamed racecourse. Back in the day of freight, it was stuff of heaven for an avid gricer. Years ago I traveled down there on my platinum pass and spent a day reveling in baby GM and vacuum braked stock.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

The Junction is a wonderful place at the best of times with the rolling expanse of the now renamed racecourse. Back in the day of freight, it was stuff of heaven for an avid gricer. Years ago I traveled down there on my platinum pass and spent a day reveling in baby GM and vacuum braked stock.

A great spot for looking at trains and having a pint in the Bit and Bridle but was a killer when travelling home and waiting for the inevitable delayed connection.

A great spot for looking at trains and having a pint in the Bit and Bridle but was a killer when travelling home and waiting for the inevitable delayed connection.

That reminds me of a time when the aul fella (RIP) and a guard worked a sugar special one day to the junction from Waterford where they were relieved before taking a ex Cork back hom.

Beet being beet, they got their load in early and had hours to kill and were delighted to discover that there was a meeting on. They decided it was a good way to pass the day and made their way to the nag. Little did they know but it was a good 2 hour walk on the roads from the station to the racecourse entrance! By the time they go there there was time for just once race before they had to turn around and get back for the trip home :D

He visited Carlow tonight - but for some reason didn't interview any local enthusiasts.

He visited Carlow tonight - but for some reason didn't interview any local enthusiasts.

Careful now....stay behind that Yellow Line....;)

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

AlekSmart wrote: »

Careful now....stay behind that Yellow Line....;)

Beidh mé cúramach ..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I enjoyed his pronunciation of camogie on Tuesdays programme.

Waterford always great from the air. Pity about ground level. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 Talk to the hand

Beidh mé cúramach ..

Tá mé ar ais agus saor arís!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

apart from the intrusion of a couple of BR steam locos and a north bound train aparently heading for Cork, it's a very watchable series, carefully described every night as Great Railway Journeys of Britain AND Ireland. Not too much diddly eye music or Guinness swilling in evidence either

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

As for your arbitration of what is great or not, kindly leave the rest of us to our own opinions, O Great and Protected One.

The Idyl Race is getting a month ban for this nonsense.

Foggy_lad or anybody is allowed to state their opinion -- that's not telling others what to think. But breaking the charter as The Idyl Race has done will get you banned.

Do not reply to this post or the post which I've quoted!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 Talk to the hand

You are a disgrace Monument. Ban me as well please while you're at it.

Great British Railway Journeys-Goes to Ireland.

The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland from 1801 to 1927,thereby placing it in Bradshaws Guide under that title.

Since Mr P's programme is based upon the use of Bradshaws as a guide on todays systems,it's fully acceptable to refer to the UKGBI as it was.

So,the title refers to Railway Journeys made within GB and Irl,there is no suggestion that the journeys be "Great" in themsleves,a suggestion which appears to have been maliciously made to inflame passions...(Always easy on Railway Related topics).

My brow is still furrowed from attempting to think of an Irish Politicial Figure who might be able to demonstrate as much enthusiasm for the genre as Mr P does......any suggestions...?

The late Garrett FitzGerald may have been a possibility though he did come from an aviation and statistical background.

Michael D would have the interest as well and certainly the ability to talk to folk.

Other than those two no-one seems to jump out.

Interestingly Portillo always seems to have a ticket - would have though he'd have scored a free pass somehow (or borrowed someone else's ).

On another note: Good to hear that we're all allowed to express opinions again no matter how wildly accusatory they are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

If RTE had such a programme they'd shoe-horn in someone like Joe Duffy/Charlie Bird or (even worse) one of those identikit pieces of young "fluff" that turn up to no ones enjoyment.

• Advertisement

The late Garrett FitzGerald may have been a possibility though he did come from an aviation and statistical background.

Michael D would have the interest as well and certainly the ability to talk to folk.

Other than those two no-one seems to jump out.

Interestingly Portillo always seems to have a ticket - would have though he'd have scored a free pass somehow (or borrowed someone else's ).

On another note: Good to hear that we're all allowed to express opinions again no matter how wildly accusatory they are.

I'd hazard a guess that Mr P has drawers full of Railway and Bus tickets,this Railway Enthusiasm thing does fierce things to a man.....

Be careful with all this oul expressin stuff...it could boil over if left unwatched !!!

We'll all be ok as long as we respect the yellow line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

AlekSmart wrote: »
    I'd hazard a guess that Mr P has drawers full of Railway and Bus tickets,this Railway Enthusiasm thing does fierce things to a man.....

Be careful with all this oul expressin stuff...it could boil over if left unwatched !!!
    Well I've yet to see him on that program wearing anything that has been ironed or pressed! the clothes look like they have been pulled out of the bottom of a very untidy rucksack:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Sligo Quay

Its a nice light hearted series, never knew there was a ''workhouse musuem'' its probably worth more than what Board Failte could manage, just a pity he is not traveling the Sligo, sample the sights of Sligo, Yeats County and Ben Bulben, plenty of history, maybe Bradshaw didn't travel to Sligo, pity:( the railway journeys Portillo is doing are based on Bradshaw's account.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Sligo Quay

Interestingly Portillo always seems to have a ticket
    And rightly so, when your doing a TV series, you have to be seen to be doing everything right, even if somebody else is paying for it;)

• Advertisement

Sligo Quay wrote: »
    Its a nice light hearted series, never knew there was a ''workhouse musuem'' its probably worth more than what Board Failte could manage, just a pity he is not traveling the Sligo, sample the sights of Sligo, Yeats County and Ben Bulben, plenty of history, maybe Bradshaw didn't travel to Sligo, pity:( the railway journeys Portillo is doing are based on Bradshaw's account.

Absolutely,the GBRJ production team are managing to put together an accessible and enjoyable view of a journey through Ireland by train.

I'm learning new facts and figures from it too,in an easy going way from Mr P,who manages not to be preachy or condescending as too many "Celebrity" presenters can be.

Fair play to Irish Rail for getting involved with the series,as I'm sure there were many nay-sayers all too keen to ensure a former Tory Minister would be kept away from our citizenry,most of whom so far appear to have been able to deal with it amicably enough.

We'll all be ok as long as we respect the yellow line.

Don't you mean the golden line?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

I actually watched several of his journeys in GB and they were class, Great history in them, I completely forgot to watch the Irish one's, I hope they will repeat them, Portillo is a a very interesting man, He makes a great presenter.

Don't you mean the golden line?

That reminded me of the Golden Arrow - maybe Mr P could do a programme on classic European night trains.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭steamengine

charlemont wrote: »
    I actually watched several of his journeys in GB and they were class, Great history in them, I completely forgot to watch the Irish one's, I hope they will repeat them, Portillo is a a very interesting man, He makes a great presenter.

+1...........very entertaining - great aerial views and related archive photos of each location. Yes, the series does repeat ok - normally on BBC3 or 4, and they find their way on to YouTube also after a few weeks.

See he managed to have a pint or two of the black stuff tonight as well and join in the 'diddley I' music. One of the lads now - !!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

That reminded me of the Golden Arrow - maybe Mr P could do a programme on classic European night trains.

Like the 20.40 Heuston/Cork - an 071 + a Park Royal + a gen.van on many occasions. :D

With Bob Monkhouse?

I guess he decided to "pass" on the offer lest it not be a good "advert" for the locals.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

Kam-o-ghee!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Lenin Skynard

I guess he decided to "pass" on the offer lest it not be a good "advert" for the locals.

What a "silly" thing to "say".

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Attacking / making fun of / playing the man and not the ball / etc with one user over and over is going to stop.

It goes like this: I'm still handing out infraction, but if people don't get the message, bans will be next.

To be clear: You may be banned for one tiny thing after ignoring me over and over again.

Also:

Don't reply to moderation within any thread -- keep this in mind even when it's not said.

Like the 20.40 Heuston/Cork - an 071 + a Park Royal + a gen.van on many occasions. :D

God be with the heady days of the day mail from Cork to Dublin being rostered a single 121 class, TPO, Genny and maybe a Parky or even a Bredin. Dem wus de daze :)

There was a nice documentary a few years ago about the last night mail including a brief stop in Kennedy's in Thurles (a grand place for a pint).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

There was a nice documentary a few years ago about the last night mail including a brief stop in Kennedy's in Thurles (a grand place for a pint).

I remember watching that a while back on YouTube but I can’t remember the name of it.

What's the name of the butcher beside the station in Thurles, Parsi? Dad used to go into it for hairy bacon and pork roasts which were divine.

What's the name of the butcher beside the station in Thurles, Parsi? Dad used to go into it for hairy bacon and pork roasts which were divine.

No idea . My dad used get his pork from the factory in Roscrea (I hated it).

I've only been in Thurles a couple of times but did spend a fine evening/night in Kennedy's (IIRC) after a Munster Final (Clare v Limerick).

No idea . My dad used get his pork from the factory in Roscrea (I hated it).

I've only been in Thurles a couple of times but did spend a fine evening/night in Kennedy's (IIRC) after a Munster Final (Clare v Limerick).

Anybody more traveled out there who would know the butchers name?

Anybody more traveled out there who would know the butchers name?

Ahem. Not having made a gazillion visits to Thurles doesn't make one "less travelled" ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭steamengine

A Great Irish Railway Journey - Hilarious stuff :D

• Advertisement

Ahem. Not having made a gazillion visits to Thurles doesn't make one "less travelled" ;)

Ok, somebody who was there for business and not for the gargle :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Tarabuses

Sligo Quay wrote: »

Bradshaw did travel to Sligo but didn't seem to find much of interest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Bump.
    New set of Ireland journeys for Portillo each day this week on BBC2 at 18.30, travelling from Wexford to Westport over 5 episodes.
    @poster SligoQuay - Sligo is included this time!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08bl076

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Ce he sin

I thought wearing the flag - green jacket, white shirt, orange trousers - a little over the top!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Rashers72

Anyone know how I can watch repeats of these? Thanks in advance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Ce he sin

Only way is in IPlayer and when you're outside the UK you need a proxy to be able to use that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,212 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Ballina to Westport this evening 6.30pm

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

Portillo is a ledge. I wish I could pull off (ooerrr!!) salmon trousers and tweed like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Made more than a slight arse out of the name of my town of habitation this week. Cleanest 29000 on the system I'd guess!

Advertisement