Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GSD sloping back

Options
  • 27-01-2012 9:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭

Hi there, I was wondering does anyone know why GSDs started to be bred with horribly deformed backs? I know that the breed would be rendered absolutely useless at their original purpose with this deformity, so why did the show society decide that they needed to change the breed standard? It doesn't add anything to the breed and the poor things must be so uncomfortable!

I know some breeds have changed like becoming smaller or larger, but why was this change necessary in the GSD??:confused:

Hope someone can shed some light, it just makes no sense to me!

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

My take? Originally some GSD's were being bred too square, too heavy and more back leg than was required, then the drive to remove that went batsh*t and became an internal fashion/meme way beyond the original actual structural reasons. Today, they're shorter muzzled, more curved tail, and sloping back and the extreme of that (IMHO) utter BS gives us the crippled show standard we have today, along with the crappy temperament in too many cases. A world away from what the originator of the breed wanted. But the breed guardians keep this madness going and even try to justify their BS and in shows or just pictures among themselves actually push the hips of an already compromised dog down even further. They won't be happy until it's walking on it's knees. Mad.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭john t

mr wibbs not all alsation dogs of non pure heritage have problems in back.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

That's why I specified show standard John. Like you say there are still straight backed german shepherds out there thankfully, but it's not the "breed standard".

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Do straight backed GSDs ever get entered in shows?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

when the original breed standard was written, it was noted that a slight slope in the dogs back allowed for better change of direction and movment when herding sheep, problem is people interpreted that the wrong way and over bred that characteristic to create the over exaggerated backs we see today:(.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭john t

My black flat straight backed shephard is a good example of breed, most of her shephard friends are sloped back and it is pitifull too watch they play, but her other gsd friend is a police imported german bred shepard and he is a well formed dog and loves too play with my girl,

Advertisement