Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

50k is it possible???????/

Options
  • 27-01-2012 10:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hi all, new to this place so first off HELLO......
    so here goes i am a qualified carpenter/cabinet maker,competent tiler/plumber/and general handyman,can i realistically build a 4 bed dormer bungalow roughly 2000sf (no plans or even idea of what i will be building yet)for 50k.i will be doing as much work as i can possibly do my self with a lot of very cheap (free) help from my brother and a friend in all most every trade.so any one that has been in the same situation that can give me some advice would be great tks.
    ps sight is in place so the 50k would be just to build.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

As a carpenter you must appreciate the time/labour commitment and % that materials are for a given job.

A sizeable % of your 50k will be swallowed up without buying any materials, but who knows - as your in the trades prepare a drawing, spec, BoQ's and add the extra fees, contributions, services and there you go you have a ball park figure.

i would strongly suggest you employ a good arch to take you through current standards/regs etc, as for instance the BER requirements are really catching out self-builders at the moment.. there are a few QS's around this forum so maybe you could approach them to help with your BoQ

why not be more realistic about the size of home and design something that can be extended in the future when you've more cash. ill leave with with this http://ciracar.com/build-a-house-for-less-than-5000 (although he's probably not complied with current building regs:))

• Registered Users Posts: 11 brownie25

what are architects charging to do a full set of plans

• Subscribers Posts: 41,645 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

50K just to build a 2000 sq ft one off rural house, and just including for materials alone i dont think you have a prayer.

first off, if you build a house you need to comply with building regulations. One of these regulations state that material used must be fit for purpose, which means tested and certified. The house in the link, while wonderfully aspirational, wouldnt come anywhere close to complying with irish building regulations.

so using certified tested materials, and standard building methods, and paying full price for material (ie not free) i think youd require a minimum of twice your budget to build a 2000 sq ft hse in material alone. Then that doesnt take into account all other expenses such as site works, professional costs, insurances, development contributions, connection fees etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭orchidsrpretty

Not much to add to discussion but was that the house that was featured on Grand designs a few years ago?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭Marcanthony

brownie25 wrote: »
    Hi all, new to this place so first off HELLO......
    so here goes i am a qualified carpenter/cabinet maker,competent tiler/plumber/and general handyman,can i realistically build a 4 bed dormer bungalow roughly 2000sf (no plans or even idea of what i will be building yet)for 50k.i will be doing as much work as i can possibly do my self with a lot of very cheap (free) help from my brother and a friend in all most every trade.so any one that has been in the same situation that can give me some advice would be great tks.
    ps sight is in place so the 50k would be just to build.
    I dont think you will.Depending on your council fees in your region ( non negotiable) and service chages for power and water supplies / planning fees.This will eating up your budget.Id say almost half or more.

However I know a lad who built a two storey detached 1000 sq foot house recently.(excluding the fees I have mentioned) for 40000. Labour was free and he got most of his materials second hand before he commenced the build and designed his property to match.for example got double glazed windows and built to the size of windows and got a fitted kitchen and designed the build to match his kitchen.However there is some materials you just cant buy 2nd hand to meet your needs or planning requirements.
    Also I have seen some of the quality of the work and I would say its not the greatest and took him nearly 2 years and a lot of snagging still left. Free labour with friends and family is usually working around their time and the standards may not be the same as paying someone to do a professional job.I would price the m&e before you commence.Usually a big hole in your budget and the services need to be certified.
    If you do go ahead would love to know how you get on.

Not much to add to discussion but was that the house that was featured on Grand designs a few years ago?
    no, i think your thinking of http://www.ben-law.co.uk/

brownie25, I think we've established that a typical 2000sq bungalow, may be outside of your 50g material remit, but what if you were to think outside the box.. Dominic Stevens has been getting some publicity with his 25g house, which is really just a miniature Walter Segal post and beam house. As your a carpenter maybe you could work to your strengths. Along with the post and beam method, it might also be worth considering a Straw-bale or hemplime build

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭Marcanthony

this build could be just put into place on a site of your choice.http://www.daft.ie/1633788 and come within buget of planning and associated fees.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,128 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Right guys. I think the OP is referring to "standard construction" so if we could stick to that please would be great. Thanks.

• Advertisement

cheers every one for the reply's.Marcanthony i don't think that would be my cup of tea lol.
    what i have come across is a derelict cottage on a half acre with full planning to build on an extension total area 1650 s/f including the house.all ready has power.besides water and septic tank what other expenses would there be.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭carbsy

brownie25 wrote: »

That is just... amazing! :)

Advertisement