Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The old cat/dog dilemma

• 27-01-2012 10:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭

Hello everyone,

So I'm moving out of my shoebox apartment to a house soon, and am planning to get a dog and one or two cats.

I'm just trying to work out the best way of introducing them so there is maximum peace?
    I've read through some old threads (eg http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055105036 ) but still have a few questions.

I'm planning to get them all from the same shelter, which uses foster homes, and am hoping to get cats which have been fostered with dogs. And we will only really look for an (adult) dog that is used to living with cats. I don't want to risk tormenting the felines - I know there's no guarantees they won't take a dislike to each other, but I'd rather try to play it safe (they don't have to best best friends, but just get along..)

I've a few silly questions:
    -Could a medium-sized dog be "bullied" by two cats who come from the same home/are already close?
    -Should I get either the dog or cat(s) before the other, or I could possibly get them on near enough the same day? Does it make any difference in terms of who would take to a newbie in the house better?
    -Even if they do take a dislike to each other, how likely is it that the dog would actually harm the cats?
    -AM I OVERTHINKING IT?! :eek:

I've been in so many houses where the dogs just ignore the cats, and that's fine by me. I'm just curious how that peace is reached!

I'm a bit ahead of myself - haven't finalised the house yet (to rent) - we're trying to find the perfect balance of a garden and a pet-friendly landlord. It'll most likely be the end of March by the time the four-legged friends arrive, but I'm excited already...

I've never had a dog before, my OH did years ago, but we're basically beginners. I'm a cat expert at this stage, but throwing a dog into the mix is a whole new equation...
    Any tips would be much appreciated :)

(P.S. I've been lurking round here the past few weeks reading about everything from raw meat diets to pet insurance, so thought it was time I chipped in!)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 476 ✭✭Blueprint

I think I'd get the dog first and then get the cats once you've got the hang of him, since you've never had a dog before. If you get a young kitten after, they'll be fine with the dog, I've got a mother cat and her son (mother moved in two weeks after the dog came and gave birth to the son) and they both love the dog more than he loves them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

+1 to everything above, easier to get cats to accept a dog when they first move in, rather than upset their cosy world later. Mine also like the dog more than he likes them - they try to get into bed with him, but he's not having any of it:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 476 ✭✭Blueprint

planetX wrote: »
    +1 to everything above, easier to get cats to accept a dog when they first move in, rather than upset their cosy world later. Mine also like the dog more than he likes them - they try to get into bed with him, but he's not having any of it:(

That's exactly the same with my guy, I have some really cute pictures of himself and the male cat when they were both younger, but nowadays the dog will grumble, growl at them or just go and sleep somewhere else if they try and invade his bed!

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭candle_wax

Thanks guys, the dog will be coming first so!

As I'm starting from scratch I figured it makes sense to try to do everything I can to make it a happy house for all involved :)

• Registered Users Posts: 40 SpyderCats

Hi OP :)

I have two adult cat's and I recently got a puppy (Harvey). I would personally recommend getting the cat's first. What I did was introduced them slowly over a few day's and I had no problems at all. The first day my cat's just sniffed him and seemed quite disinterested, the second day my younger cat (Ming) started to play with him and they are great pals now :)
    My older cat (Bacardi) doesn't really bother with Harvey he generally keeps out of his way but they are getting along just fine, if my cat's think Harvey is getting out of line they give him a smack on the top of him head ( not claws just a smack) and that lets Harvey know that they are the bosses.
    Who ever you decide to get first, dog or cat's, make sure you do it slowly and under strict supervision, both Cat's and dog's are territorial and both can get very jealous, its very important that they know their boundary's and have respect for one another.

best of luck with your new pets. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Just to confuse you more, I had a cat, then added a dog, another cat, and then another dog.
    I think the order doesn't matter, just so long as you let them settle and have a space of their own. keep things calm and take things slow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

I had a cat for 2 and a half years before adding a dog. Cat didn't take to it too kindly but eventually came around, not the best of friends now but they tolerate each other enough to live together in relative peace, the dog sometimes takes chase to the cat and vice versa. I can tell you how not to introduce a new dog to an existing cat if that helps at all!

The cat had most likely never encountered a dog before, was very skittish and easily frightened, open back door and let very excitable love to chase small furries new terrier in off lead, said cat then ended up on the very top of the units in the kitchen speaking a whole new vocabulary of yowls and hisses with a tail that resembled a toilet brush. :( Took her I'd say over a year to get to the stage where she was comfortable being in the same room as him. So that's how you don't do it.
    What I have found very handy with my dog is a 'into bed' command, a leave it command would be useful also, he's still a cat chaser if she's in a particularly skittish mood and he's in an excited mood (if the doorbell rings or theres visitors in the house and she runs), so if I notice him start to take chase a quick and firm get into bed stops him in his tracks and he runs to the mat instead. Other than that he's fine with my cat but strange cats he see's outside are still fair game according to him, he'd never attack one he just likes to chase them unfortunately so just goes to show that even cat chasers can still get accustomed to their 'own' cats.

As for which to get first I can't say. When introducing them though make sure the cat has plenty of escape space (doors left open and a safe area up high to retreat to, cats usually go up when they are frightened), and use either a lead or a crate when introducing the dog, make sure he's well tired out too. Make use of feliway diffusers too if necessary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Zapperzy, I have the oppostite, the older cat(now 11) and both dogs(3 and 2) love each other, the cat(adult of about 5 now, was used to cats and dogs) I introduced later is where we have problems, he loves little dog (she came later) but teases other dog. They tolerate each other and are even friendly at times, but still have the odd spat.(usually 'cos the cat slaps the dog)
    My poor old nervous wreck of a cat has however changed completely with the addition of the dogs, mush braver and more outgoing.
    Both dogs came in as pups, the cats were both adults, I would worry more about the personality of the animals, than the order.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

mymo wrote: »
    I would worry more about the personality of the animals, than the order.

+1 on that! My dog tries to play with the cat but she has none of it and launches an attack on him to his delight which only makes him wanna play more. :rolleyes: Always reckoned if we had a playful cat or kitten they'd have great craic together. Dog love him he's even tried dropping toys at her feet. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

We got a dog, then got a rescue cat about a year later, the cat took a few weeks to warm to the dog but the dog was just excited to have someone to play with. We got another kitten 1.5 years later, dog equally as excited, older cat sceptical but accepted the baby after about 2 weeks, baby kitten play fighting with both within days :)

Cat and dog, cat and kitten, dog and kitten all to be found spooning or snuggled on one bed at various times of the day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Sassy58

I think it all comes down to the animals - we had 4 cats (one was with us for hospice care) when we got a pup 2 cats took to the pup and mothered it within an inch of its life and she loved it the other two kept their distance and now 8 years later one still keeps its distance from the dogs and the other one is semi ok around the dogs - we have added more cats and more dogs and they all get on great - but its the rottie who is the worst - when a new pup or kitten comes into the house it sends her over the edge and she has to wash them, mind them, round them up etc....they snuggle into her etc and then when they get big and old enough she uses them as pillows - sure there had it all worked out in the back of her head

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭candle_wax

Agh now I'm just confused!
    Thanks everyone though :D

As Blueprint said I'll probably get the dog first to spend a bit of time getting used to him/her. I spent the morning on shelter websites trying to eye up some cat-friendly canines...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 670 ✭✭✭serenacat

I have a cat and a puppy who tolerate eachother ok.

Some tips I found helpful were switching their bedding around to get eachother used to eachother's scent, or using the same brush on both of them.

Giving treats to eachother when they are near eachother and ignoring eachother (positive re-enforcement)

Holding the cat on my lap with puppy beside him-not letting him run off when puppy was sleeping , now they will sleep beside eachother but never cuddle.

Advertisement