Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Agnus Castus- any experiences??

Options
  • 27-01-2012 10:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if anyone has tried agnus castus to help with fertility? Took my first dose today, hoping it'll help regulate my cycle if nothing else :D The internet seems to be rife with stories of immediate miraculous conception from people taking it but in some cases, I've seen the same reviews printed word for word on different sites, usually right next to a link that'll take you straight to the purchase page :rolleyes: It'd be nice to hear reliable people's experiences :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭meggysmom

hi there i started taking it as I have been trying to conceive over a year.I had very regular cycles but painful ovulation and very sore boobs after ovulation til af arrived.I also read about it and thought why not.I took it for one month but only from af to ovulation.I figure it can't hurt and especially if you have irregular cycles and want to balance hormones.I reckon it would take a while to work though.I stopped taking it as going in for laproscopy feb 6th and also i felt my hormones were ok as i ovulate and have regular cycles.My advicewould be give it a try for 3-4 cycles see what happens.I hope it works for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

Thanks :D I suppose it can't hurt to try anyways :) Did you notice any side effects while taking it? It says on the bottle to take with food, which I have been doing, but I find that my stomach gets queasy (kinda like trapped wind) for a few hours after I've taken it. I also noticed a tiny bit of spotting yesterday, which I guess means that it's working :)

yes I did notice slight nausea alright but it went away after a few days of being on it.Other than that not much else although I do think it helped my skin to clear up which is all hormonal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭stickybean

hey meggysmom, I never heard of it, but will be looking it up :D

Did you buy it in a chemist or where your prescribed

Thanks x

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Cicilulu

Just wondering if anyone has tried agnus castus to help with fertility? Took my first dose today, hoping it'll help regulate my cycle if nothing else :D The internet seems to be rife with stories of immediate miraculous conception from people taking it but in some cases, I've seen the same reviews printed word for word on different sites, usually right next to a link that'll take you straight to the purchase page :rolleyes: It'd be nice to hear reliable people's experiences :D

I've been taking it for about six weeks along with red raspberry leaf. I hadn't had a period since before I had my baby (he is 15.5 months now). He still nurses and it's been holding my cycles off. Within two or three weeks of starting vitex I had my first period.

Today I got my first +OPK so I am hopeful things are starting to get back to normal.

I am also temping. The advice I've read about taking vitex is to stop once you confirm you've ovulated so temping will / should confirm this for me. When I see my thermal shift I will half my dose for a few days before stopping.

I bought mine from Holland and Barrett.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Ms2011

I took it to bring forward my ovulation day as I was ovulating late in my cycle. It worked & I ovulated on CD10 & got pregnant on that cycle.
    The only side effect I had was break through bleeding mid-cycle, I stopped taking it once I ovulated.

you can but it in most health food shops but holland and barrett is great!

meggysmom wrote: »
    you can but it in most health food shops but holland and barrett is great!

I too vouch for the Holland and Barrett ones. They are 400mg. I take two each morning and two each evening. My cycle has been pretty screwed up do to breastfeeding. I'm delighted how quickly I'm seeing results with this stuff. After I O (I think I'm Oing today or tomorrow) I will take one twice a day for three days. I don't want to suddenly stop. Some people take it for their whole cycle but most believe it's wise to stop before implantation has (hopefully) happened.

Oh yeah, my tummy also feels a little upset. But in the scheme of things it doesn't matter.

I've read it's best to follow the directions on whichever brand you buy as the potenecy can vary from brand to brand. I hear the liquid tastes gross but allegedly works faster. Personally I don't think it could be faster than the Holland and Barrett 400mg capsules. I'm happy with them anyhoo. Easy to swallow.

When do you start taking them? on CD1?

Thanks xxx

stickybean wrote: »
    When do you start taking them? on CD1?

Thanks xxx

You can start CD1 or any day before you ovulate. Most women stop taking them when they ovulate each cycle and start up again CD1.

It's vital to know when you ovulate both so you can time sex properly and so you know when to stop taking vitex (aka Agnus Castus).

Personally I'd get to know my cycle by charting before I interfere with it by taking supplements of any kind. You may not need any supplements. If it ain't broke... bla bla bla

The book, Taking Charge of Your Fertility, is essential reading for all women who are TTC.

Good luck hon!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭maryk123

I have used agnus cactus for pms etc and found it excellent - i have used the one from the health food shop and found it stronger than the holland nad barrett one - the one i use is drops into water - i couldnt get it in the health food shop one day and used the holland and barrett one and didnt find it as strong. it has made such a difference.
    hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 36 baggote2

Hi. Sorry for my stupidity but what is cd1, is that the 1st day of cycle, first day of menstrual cycle...Im just wondering when to start it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

baggote2 wrote: »
    Hi. Sorry for my stupidity but what is cd1, is that the 1st day of cycle, first day of menstrual cycle...Im just wondering when to start it?
    First day of cycle is the same thing as first day of menstrual cycle. I think you mean first day of bleeding. Anyway yes it's the day you begin bleeding. There's slot of terminology and acronyms to get used to isn't there?!

CD = Cycle day

CD1 - the day your period starts

Got the smiley face on the opk today :D:D I'm well thrilled cos I wasn't sure if I was ovulating until now :) time to go do some baby making!!! Am I right in thinking I should stop using the agnus castus now until I go back to cd1? I've looked it up but cant seem to get a definitive answer :confused:

Got the smiley face on the opk today :D:D I'm well thrilled cos I wasn't sure if I was ovulating until now :) time to go do some baby making!!! Am I right in thinking I should stop using the agnus castus now until I go back to cd1? I've looked it up but cant seem to get a definitive answer :confused:

+OPKs are almost as exciting as +HPTs! It means you will most likely Ovulate sometime between 12 and 48 hours. Busy 48 hours for you! Only your temperatures will tell you exactly which day it happens.
    There isn't a definitive answer as to when to take and when to stop vitex (agnus castus). Because of this a lot of women choose to stop at O, just in case. That's undoubtedly the safest way because that way you definitely won't be taking it if you get pregnant this cycle.
    Personally I gradually reduce my dose down to nothing over three days starting the day I expect I'm Oing. But that is a personal choice.
    I'm halfway through my 2 week wait. It's driving me mad. One minute I'm convinced I am, the next I feel like my period is coming. Emotional rollercoaster.
    Best of luck! Go make a baby MrsPostman!

I only took half a dose of it yesterday so I suppose it wouldn't do any harm to just take a quarter dose today like you say to taper it off. Exciting times :D:D good luck to you cicilulu I know the waiting is the worst ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Carley353

Trenton Obnoxious Market I think I must have read the same reviews online as you did! It seemed like a no brainer so i started taking them too but when I mentioned it to my GP she scared the life out of me by saying that it has no proven benefits and that it has been known to cause birth defects??? :eek: So needless to say, I haven't taken it since although it could just been the usual scepticism that the medical profession have for some 'alternative' treatments. Has anyone else been told this by their doctor?

:eek: haven't heard anything like that although I have read that it shouldn't be taken during pregnancy so maybe that's what the doctor was referring to? I have heard that it shortens the luteal phase and so shouldn't be taken between ovulation and af.

I'm spotting atm, it's my first month taking the agnus castus so I'm thinking it might have something to do with it. I'm 4-5 dpo though so I'm praying its implantation bleeding :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Cevans

Hi Guys

just wanted to give you my experiences! I hadnt had a period since November and was getting pretty upset about it. Started taking Agnus Cactus Last thursday and got my period today!!!:)

I have never been so over the moon now i have a CD1 again! and we can start to try again..
    :D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

That's brilliant cevans! Hopefully it's a turning point for you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Cevans

Thanks Digs!!

Advertisement