Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supervalu Breaks - Good Galway city choice?

Options
  • 27-01-2012 10:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭

My mam just informed me she has like about 4000 of these points! :eek::D
    Galway city would be handy for both of us, as neither of us drive but buses to Galway readily available to both.
    Any of ye stayed in a pretty central hotel in Galway using these deals? As I said, something too far out is not preferable ( we'll be using the buses!) :)

'Pillo Hotel' - is that far out? Say... walking distance from Eyre Square? :confused:
    'Hotel Clybaun' - same question?

Only had a very quick look and saw the these two first, so if ye know of anywhere else, let me know! Would appreciate it :)
    Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,161 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

twirlagig wrote: »
    My mam just informed me she has like about 4000 of these points! :eek::D
    Galway city would be handy for both of us, as neither of us drive but buses to Galway readily available to both.
    Any of ye stayed in a pretty central hotel in Galway using these deals? As I said, something too far out is not preferable ( we'll be using the buses!) :)

'Pillo Hotel' - is that far out? Say... walking distance from Eyre Square? :confused:

Only had a very quick look and saw the these two first, so if ye know of anywhere else, let me know! Would appreciate it :)
    Thanks in advance!
    Pillo is a 15 min walk and Clybaun would be at least 30 id say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭twirlagig

Pillo is a 15 min walk

How safe/well-lit is that walk at night? Thanks for reply Ben :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,161 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

How safe/well-lit is that walk at night? Thanks for reply Ben :)
    Its a main road with a shopping centre and two retail parks so its well lit. Apartments and houses on the route too. The number 7 bus from Eyre Square stops across the road and about 200 yards walk then. Never came across any hassle walking home in all the years i've done it. Taxi would be around €8/9.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭twirlagig

Thanks a million! Great info! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭RubyGirl

Pillo is a 15 min walk and Clybaun would be at least 30 id say.

The Clybaun hotel is at least an hours walk to Eyre Square.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Clybaun is the other side of town from Pillo. Dunno why everyone bases everything off Eyre Sq?:D Presumably as the train is nearby, but there's more to town than the square. Clybaun would be closer to Salthill for example. I had family stay there a year or two ago for an event and they loved it. It has a bar, a gym, pool and outdoor hot tub. They bussed out on the red bus and the one late night in town (they'd have been at Róisín Dubh) their cab fare home was a tenner.
    I'd say the walk is 45 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭benj

stayed in forster court hotel a few times with super valu breaks....
    would highly reccomend it and its just off eyre square....

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I wouldn't recommend either of these for a holiday visit here for parents.

Some of the walking times you've been quoted are for fit active students, not for (not-even-aged) parents. Neither of them are walks that I'd be doing at night in a city that I didn't know. (And I'm no wuss when it comes to taking reasonable risks re safety while travelling.)

Buses are ok-ish during the day, but route 7 (to Pillo) is pretty sparse at night.

Have they got any other options? City hotels include Forster Court, Imperial, Victoria, Skeffington, Garveys even ... These are all just off Eyre Square.

Advertisement