Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

unsociable dog!!

• 27-01-2012 11:01pm

i have posted here before and got good advice.
    so, last august i adopted my springer from dogs trust, he didnt bark at all for 3 months but more than makes up for it now!
    it took him nearly 5 months to get into water but now he loves swimming!!
    he has definately become more confident in the last couple of months but here's where my problem starts.

basically, because of work changes, he is left alone more often, for longer periods than he was before. now, i get up at half six/seven in the mornings i have to work and bring him out for about an hour. when i get home which could be between half three/six we go out for another hour.

i know he doesnt like being alone, he stays indoors, because he HATES being outside alone. he was like a crazy dog when left outside for anytime alone.

i tried doggydaycare, unfortunately, he just isnt ready yet. i tried a dog walker but he doesnt like other dogs, just doesnt want them near him.
    he growls at them, he shows his teeth, and barks. its not every dog, just some. the dogwalker was afraid he would be aggresive and go for one of the other dogs.

he isnt vicious, he is a lovely lovely dog who seems to have a couple of 'issues'!! he is a 'people' dog, not a dogs dog!!

is there anything i can do to make him more sociable with other dogs? if he got on with others i could have a walker or daycare maybe an option.
    what can i do? he is a fab dog in every other way. any advice very much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭are you serious

The National Show Centre in Cloghran out in Swords has socialization sessions every Tuesday evening from 7-8 they are great help!!

Worth a try I recon, best of luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭barbiegirl

Our Fargo was the same when he came to us. He wasn't used to a leash and would growl at other dogs on it. The first visit to the dog park was a nightmare.
    Now a year later through patience, rewarding when he was good meetings dogs and dog corrector spray to distract him when he misbehaved. Then as soon as I have his attention again another treat.
    Last night we met two dogs, one of whom was barking like mad and he didn't react.
    You just have to keep putting him in safe situations with other dogs and working on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭are you serious

You could always try meeting with people who you know that have dogs who are not reactive to your dogs temper...

Buddy no matter what any dog has done to him will not budge if a dog is barking at him, he will stay there wagging his tail with an expression as if to say "hey whats your problem, lets play"

Met a Doberman about 4 months ago who at first went to take Buddy's head off, I asked the fella who was walking him to stay until his dog calmed down, 20 minutes later they Doberman was Buddy's new best pal..

Advertisement