Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Most energy efficient electric heater?

• 28-01-2012 12:37am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 397 ✭✭

Hi all, I'm just after moving into the coldest and oldest house ever. My room is quite small though so I think a smallish electric radiator wouldn't break the bank to run. What's the most energy efficient/cheapest electric radiator out there?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Hmmm I'd not bother with a rad they take their sweet time to heat and become effective
    spreading the heat, look for a fan assisted convector heater.

http://www.hygienesuppliesdirect.com/products/prod132839

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,498 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

You asked for a recommendation for an 'energy efficient' heater, I don't think there's any such thing as an inefficient electric heater - what you spend on electrical energy you get out as heat, there's nowhere else for the energy to go. It's not like a gas central heating boiler where a large % of the heat can go up the chimney and be wasted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

coylemj wrote: »
    You asked for a recommendation for an 'energy efficient' heater, I don't think there's any such thing as an inefficient electric heater - what you spend on electrical energy you get out as heat, there's nowhere else for the energy to go. It's not like a gas central heating boiler where a large % of the heat can go up the chimney and be wasted.

Actually, a fire insert type electric heater, looses a % of it's produced heat to the chimney, hardly as efficient as a free standing electric heater? So, in fact, there is a difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Actually, a fire insert type electric heater, looses a % of it's produced heat to the chimney, hardly as efficient as a free standing electric heater? So, in fact, there is a difference.

The innefficiency is due to location rather than the heater though. So assuming the OP gets a heater thats not in the chimney, the running cost will be the same for a given kw heater over time.

Any inefficiencies are caused by heat escaping, house insulation etc, rather than by the heaters heat production efficiency.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

robbie7730 wrote: »
    The innefficiency is due to location rather than the heater though. So assuming the OP gets a heater thats not in the chimney, the running cost will be the same for a given kw heater over time.

Any inefficiencies are caused by heat escaping, house insulation etc, rather than by the heaters heat production efficiency.
    Absolutely, no argument from me there.

Just to remember I was replying to this comment
    ....It's not like a gas central heating boiler where a large % of the heat can go up the chimney and be wasted.
    by saying that a large % of the heat produced by a particular electrical heater can also go up the chimney and be wasted.

Another point I would like to clarify here is that this point
    what you spend on electrical energy you get out as heat, there's nowhere else for the energy to go.
    strictly speaking is not entirely accurate. For example, if you have a fan assisted electrical heater, some of the electrical energy spent is used to keep the fan operating instead of producing heat.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Absolutely, no argument from me there.

Just to remember I was replying to this comment by saying that a large % of the heat produced by a particular electrical heater can also go up the chimney and be wasted.

Another point I would like to clarify here is that this point strictly speaking is not entirely accurate. For example, if you have a fan assisted electrical heater, some of the electrical energy spent is used to keep the fan operating instead of producing heat.

Yes id agree with all that.

Advertisement