Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Attic Conversion Naas

Options
  • 28-01-2012 12:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭

Hi I live in Naas and looking for some recommendations for getting my attic converted, proper job with RSJs etc... PM me please no advertising

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭peter_dublin

Hi.

Just wondering did you get someone in the end and if you went ahead. Have a rental property I am considering the same for. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭HereAndThere

No mate got a few quotes but all were a bit pricey or I wasn't happy with the information provided. Will just convert it myself into storage/playroom, as todo it correctly (Full 4th bedroom) involves alot of building regs to be implemented see below link

http://www.environ.ie/en/DevelopmentHousing/BuildingStandards/PublicationsDocuments/FileDownLoad,1657,en.pdf

May get a structural engineer to look at it in the future as I've a timber frame house, no RSJs are needed but there is a down/set beam supporting the roof that needs to be moved from stair rise space and I wasn't happy with suggestions of cutting it -(Made by some quoters).

Hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭peter_dublin

Thanks for getting back to me, seems to be a lot of cow boys out there alright, I was offered a wooden RSJ by one quoter :-)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Thanks for getting back to me, seems to be a lot of cow boys out there alright, I was offered a wooden RSJ by one quoter :-)
    Ha brilliant, I wonder was your quotation referring to http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/I-joist

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭gomamochi1

Funny that I had a certified engineer suggest that I could use a wooden RSJ also! Not a bad idea I thought!

• Advertisement

Accept RSJ stands for Rolled Steel Joist.

You can have wooden beams/joists but they are not called RSJs see I-Joist link from Bryan below. :)

Again I was simply not happy that someone wanted to cut a wooden beam without moving support to somewhere else and wasn't happy with me getting my own structural engineer.

I would certainly be happy to have wooden beams as support but one particular quoter wanted to put steel RSJs in a timber frame house?

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭ballykev

Accept RSJ stands for Rolled Steel Joist.

You can have wooden beams/joists but they are not called RSJs see I-Joist link from Bryan below. :)

Again I was simply not happy that someone wanted to cut a wooden beam without moving support to somewhere else and wasn't happy with me getting my own structural engineer.

I would certainly be happy to have wooden beams as support but one particular quoter wanted to put steel RSJs in a timber frame house?

Nothing wrong with putting steel RSJs into a timber frame house provided they supported correctly all the way up.

ballykev wrote: »
    Accept RSJ stands for Rolled [COLOR="Red"]Steel [/COLOR]Joist.

Nothing wrong with putting steel RSJs into a timber frame house provided they supported correctly all the way up.

Accept I'm in a terraced house so party wall is also neighbours, don't know how that would work?

What way are the RSJs supported just out of interest? Is timber or steel used?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭ballykev

Accept I'm in a terraced house so party wall is also neighbours, don't know how that would work?

What way are the RSJs supported just out of interest? Is timber or steel used?

Thanks

recently worked on a timber frame house where the walls were timber 150 X 44 from floor to ceiling the steel rested on timber, where the steel was resting the legs underneath were tripled so instead of having just a single stud as u would have normally 3 were nailed together to provide the necessary support from floor to ceiling engineer approved this.

your scenario does provide a bit of a problem all right, im sure an engineer would find a way around it

Advertisement