Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

query re upnp port mapping

Options
  • 28-01-2012 1:06am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭

i have a thomson router from upc
    under the upnp port mapping section some of the things include:

UDP 54080 54080 Teredo
    UDP 3074 3074 DemonwarePortMapping

can anyone help me to understand what these might be on a home network?
    i also see some entrys like:

UDP 38332 38332 Skype UDP at 192.168.xx:12345

which i assume to be for users using skype.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

UPnP in this sense lets applications running on your network configure your router so that they (the applications) are contactable from the internet. Applications can receive information on a connection that they initiate (such as your web browser contacting boards.ie) but if they need to be accessed from random points on the internet they need some form of port forwarding. This type of UPnP is automatic port forwarding.

Teredo looks like it's probably uTorrent.
    DemonWare looks like it could be Call of Duty

I got the above application suggestions from google, but they both make sense. You can disable UPnP if you're uncomfortable with software on your network making this decision for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

I like UPnP -it makes things just work. But it's important to have functioning up to date anti-virus on each PC, and especially if Teredo is running, a firewall on each PC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

i dont use utorrent. in your experience could it be anything else?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

Random wrote: »
    i dont use utorrent. in your experience could it be anything else?

Do you have any other p2p applications in use?
    Otherwise, its just ipv6 activated on your pc. You can disable it, or make sure your firewall is effective for it. Maybe check your firewall settings to see if anything suspicious is defined as an exception...could be a culprit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

i dont use any other p2p that springs to mind, unless dropbox lan syncing?

• Advertisement
Advertisement