Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taxi fail

Options
  • 28-01-2012 1:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭

Just witnessed another fine moment of humanity from one of Galway's taxi drivers.
    Bunch of people just out of gobus and waiting for taxi. 3 women approached a driver who's sign was lit. He told them he was collecting a family member. They turned to wait and hail another one a which point the driver said "just mind not to get one of THEM fellas". He woman asked him what he meant and he clarified "them blacks and Africans - they'll only rip you off".

The woman was looked horrified and one of the girls said they'd report him. Name of company on the side, quite ironic as it means 'friend'. Would leave a bad taste in your mouth, not even a row or when you're IN the car - now they're hawking this bs to passers by??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

inisboffin wrote: »
    Just witnessed another fine moment of humanity from one of Galway's taxi drivers.
    Bunch of people just out of gobus and waiting for taxi. 3 women approached a driver who's sign was lit. He told them he was collecting a family member. They turned to wait and hail another one a which point the driver said "just mind not to get one of THEM fellas". He woman asked him what he meant and he clarified "them blacks and Africans - they'll only rip you off".

The woman was looked horrified and one of the girls said they'd report him. Name of company on the side, quite ironic as it means 'friend'. Would leave a bad taste in your mouth, not even a row or when you're IN the car - now they're hawking this bs to passers by??

Whats your point?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭AG2R

I got a taxi, in dublin last night and our taxi man said this to us too. At first I was a little taken back then i just laughed it off.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Whats your point?

I'm disgusted.

Bunch of tourists just off the bus too. First impression of Galway. Wonderful :mad:

AG2R wrote: »
    I got a taxi, in dublin last night and our taxi man said this to us too. At first I was a little taken back then i just laughed it off.

It's not that I haven't heard that cr*p before, I usually do laugh it off and inform the driver that well I won't be using them again:p
    But this guys was doing it *on the road* while off duty ffs

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭BhoscaCapall

I tend to go for the black drivers, as they're the only ones that don't spew racist drivel. Last ignorant pr*ck I had giving it all that, I pissed in the back of his car. Course I wouldn't advise that sort of behaviour.

• Advertisement

I tend to go for the black drivers, as they're the only ones that don't spew racist drivel. Last ignorant pr*ck I had giving it all that, I pissed in the back of his car. Course I wouldn't advise that sort of behaviour.

He'll likely blame the p*ss on a black lad anyway!;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭BhoscaCapall

He'll likely blame the p*ss on a black lad anyway!;)
    I'd like to think he now refuses to pick up white people. Sure aren't we all incontinent.

I'd like to think he now refuses to pick up white people. Sure aren't we all incontinent.

At least it's the right continent! :p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

I dunno what your point is buddy.

I dunno what your point is buddy.

My point?

My point again is that behaviour like this is pretty repulsive, and never mind the human element, does nothing to encourage tourists to return to Galway and spend their tourist cash.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,161 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Racism is the point and anyone who doesn;t get that has a serious problem.
    Inisboffin you should have taken his taxi plate number and reported him for it.

Racism is the point and anyone who doesn;t get that has a serious problem.
    Inisboffin you should have taken his taxi plate number and reported him for it.

The people who he spoke to took his plate and afaik were reporting him via phone

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Some people live a very sheltered life.

Some people live a very sheltered life.

Evidently. Otherwise they wouldn't be such d*cks to everyone with a different skin colour.

I was outside supermacs and said to someone not to go in there that they will rip you off. Im clearly a racist

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭mrsweebri

I was outside supermacs and said to someone not to go in there that they will rip you off. Im clearly a racist

I see this kind of logic (lack of) so often. If you said, don't go into supermacs - one particular Irish business- this is a comment on the one business, not racism. If you say, don't use that black/African taxi driver, that is a comment on an individual, not racism.

If you say, don't use Irish businesses, that is a general comment based on nationality. This is xenophobia/racism. If you say, don't use black or African taxi driverS, that is a derogatory and damaging comment based on race and is racism.

I know you're IRISH, but It's not that hard. (get it yet?)

mrsweebri wrote: »
    I see this kind of logic (lack of) so often. If you said, don't go into supermacs - one particular Irish business- this is a comment on the one business, not racism. If you say, don't use that black/African taxi driver, that is a comment on an individual, not racism.

If you say, don't use Irish businesses, that is a general comment based on nationality. This is xenophobia/racism. If you say, don't use black or African taxi driverS, that is a derogatory and damaging comment based on race and is racism.

I know you're IRISH, but It's not that hard. (get it yet?)

The taxi driver was just giving his opinion. He was just giving a visitor to our fine city advise, its up to them to either accept it or not. It was not racism. The racism card is played all the time. This was not racism just friendly advise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

The woman was looked horrified

She's a fragile soul, easily upset

Taximan was just giving his opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 12,161 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

The taxi driver was just giving his opinion. He was just giving a visitor to our fine city adviCe, its up to them to either accept it or not. It was not racism. The racism card is played all the time. This was not racism just friendly adviCe.
    FYP.

And the way inisboffin tells it clearly shows this wasnt a case of 'oh he will rip you off there, your man from cab company x' he clearly meant that it was his his skin colour which would lead to him ripping you off. If you cant see that then there really is something wrong with you.

Taximan was just giving his opinion[/Quote]

Correct. A racist opinion. Racism and opinion are not mutually exclusive. For example, one could say "in my opinion, Irish people are particularly stupid." This is a racist opinion, one which people on this thread are doing a spectacular job of perpetuating. In my opinion.

• Advertisement

FYP.

And the way inisboffin tells it clearly shows this wasnt a case of 'oh he will rip you off there, your man from cab company x' he clearly meant that it was his his skin colour which would lead to him ripping you off. If you cant see that then there really is something wrong with you.

Most of us here have been overcharged by both white and black taxi drivers at some stage. Unfortunately most of the time it happpens is late at night when im on the way home from a pub so once drink is involved you dont have a leg to stand on.

So i use either of the 2 biggest taxi companies anymore. Do i get overcharged. Yes it does happen every now and again. But at least now i have comeback as i can ring and complain. Do i have that option with most of the Black taxi drivers. NO because a lot of them are not involved with a cab company. Do i tell people to use the 2 biggest companies because of my experiences. Yes. Does this made me a racist. HELL NO. IM JUST GIVING AN OPINION JUST LIKE THE TAXI DRIVER WAS TO THE TOURISTS.

So i use either of the 2 biggest taxi companies anymore. Do i get overcharged. Yes it does happen every now and again. But at least now i have comeback as i can ring and complain. Do i have that option with most of the Black taxi drivers. NO because a lot of them are not involved with a cab company. Do i tell people to use the 2 biggest companies because of my experiences. Yes. Does this made me a racist. HELL NO. IM JUST GIVING AN OPINION JUST LIKE THE TAXI DRIVER WAS TO THE TOURISTS.

Ah well now that you've shouted your point it can't be racism.

Indeed, advising one to use a reputable company which happens to be all or mostly white is not racism, because the advice is based on the good reputation of the company and skin colour is incidental. This is quite different from advising one not to use black drivers because (in your opinion) they are unlikely to be working for a reputable company. If this is the essence of your opinion, then the advice should have been, use a reputable company, or don't use drivers who are not with a reputable company. Quite different from giving the racist opinion that one should avoid black taxi drivers because they will rip you off. Or should I have put all that in caps for you?

mrsweebri wrote: »
    Ah well now that you've shouted your point it can't be racism.

Indeed, advising one to use a reputable company which happens to be all or mostly white is not racism, because the advice is based on the good reputation of the company and skin colour is incidental. This is quite different from advising one not to use black drivers because (in your opinion) they are unlikely to be working for a reputable company. If this is the essence of your opinion, then the advice should have been, use a reputable company, or don't use drivers who are not with a reputable company. Quite different from giving the racist opinion that one should avoid black taxi drivers because they will rip you off. Or should I have put all that in caps for you?

So we are agreed it was not racism. HAPPY DAYS

BTW does anyone else hear "the race card" card as an increasingly common precursor to an invariably racist opinion?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭elefant

It looks as blatantly racist as it gets to me. I'm slightly bemused as to how someone can construe 'Don't use a black taxi driver' as non-racist.

[
    I agree that your eventual explanation does not appear racist. I don't agree that the original post was not racism. Because there was no mention of a reputable company, only a reference to black cab drivers ripping people off. Clearly racism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

OP, why were you following these tourists so closely?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭actuallylike

Just a thought here, but I know of a lot of people who say they have gotten ripped off by black taxi drivers, so much so that they refuse to get taxis with them based on these experiences. Of course, they're hesitant to say it because of the accusations of racism. Now I assume that majority of black taxi drivers are from Nigeria, if all Nigerians were white would there be as much of an issue? I don't think this taxi driver had it in for the others because of the colour of their skin but more so what country they were from. I've read and heard from countless sources that the Nigerian's attitude can be very different from ours, sometimes aggressive, etc. (that counsellor for instance who refused to meet with them). Is that what he was suggesting rather than a direct attack on all black people world wide (obviously distastefully put but what ya gonna do)?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

The taxi driver was just giving his opinion. He was just giving a visitor to our fine city advise, its up to them to either accept it or not. It was not racism. The racism card is played all the time. This was not racism just friendly advise.

^^^
    complete bullsh1t

Fine if the taxi driver had said "don't go without fella there we have proof he overcharges people"

Instead he applied a blanket charge to a whole race. Based on what?? His racist opinion.

Your fine city does not sound so fine in this story about this particular guy spewing his xenophobic opinions. And you defending it.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Motorist

Have had 5 bad experiences with taxis over the past 3 years.

1. Irish driver who took me up the M50 to the airport (added around 12 euro to the fare) and missed turn off for airport. The guy was a bit insane talking about magic tricks and was trying to speak foreign languages to me.

2. African driver on Aungier St who would not take me to my destination because it was not far enough (against taxi regulations)

3. African driver on Camden St who would not take me to my destination because it was not far enough (against taxi regulations)

4. African driver who did not know where Connolly train station was from Rathmines. I had to tell him every single turn to take.

5. African driver who brought me from James Street down to the Quays before crossing back over the Liffey to bring me up to Dame Street. Totally unnecessary.

I still jump into the first taxi I see on the rank. I think it's important though that you know your route as some times taxi drivers take mad routes - whether there is a cynical motive behind this or a lack of route knowledge, I dont know. It's also good to know that a taxi driver is obliged to take you to any destination 30km or less.

(Apologies for the Dublin references, just noticed this is the Galway forum)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement