Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taxi fail

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Cúirt Na Rásaí my good man :)

The looks I get back, they think I'm mad :confused:

Right, Ballybrit so. I wasn't trying to confuse you, no need for the blank and confused look :(

Some of the drivers struggle mightily with the estate names. Ok sir, I'll direct every step of the way, sigh

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

Most of us here have been overcharged by both white and black taxi drivers at some stage. Unfortunately most of the time it happpens is late at night when im on the way home from a pub so once drink is involved you dont have a leg to stand on.

So i use either of the 2 biggest taxi companies anymore. Do i get overcharged. Yes it does happen every now and again. But at least now i have comeback as i can ring and complain. Do i have that option with most of the Black taxi drivers. NO because a lot of them are not involved with a cab company. Do i tell people to use the 2 biggest companies because of my experiences. Yes. Does this made me a racist. HELL NO. IM JUST GIVING AN OPINION JUST LIKE THE TAXI DRIVER WAS TO THE TOURISTS.
    I've been blatently overcharged 5 times in 25 years in Galway.

4 of these times have been using cabs from the 2 biggest companies in town.

If you think you are been overcharged, before you get into an argument with the driver, just ask them for a receipt with the starting location, end location, price, date & time, and their name & number. They are obliged to give you this information. Get this before you hand over any money.

Some taxi drivers will threaten to take you to a Garda station if you complain about a fare, but if you have the receipt, and even if you're drunk, a proper filled receipt will prove your case. Without a receipt, it's the word of a drunk person vs. a sober person.

The last time it happened to me, the driver told me if I didn't pay the full amount he would take me to Mill St Garda station. I showed him the receipt and asked him to take me there and we could let the Gardai decide. He then told me to f**k off out of his taxi and drove off without taking any money.

If you pick up a cab on the street, make sure that the meter is only started after you get in. Once the extras have been added, the meter shouldn't start increasing until 1km has passed. If it starts going up sooner, then the driver may have the meter running before you get in.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

Whats your point?

probably that all Irish taxi drivers are racist.

Motorist wrote: »
    Have had 5 bad experiences with taxis over the past 3 years.

1. Irish driver who took me up the M50 to the airport (added around 12 euro to the fare) and missed turn off for airport. The guy was a bit insane talking about magic tricks and was trying to speak foreign languages to me.

2. African driver on Aungier St who would not take me to my destination because it was not far enough (against taxi regulations)

3. African driver on Camden St who would not take me to my destination because it was not far enough (against taxi regulations)

4. African driver who did not know where Connolly train station was from Rathmines. I had to tell him every single turn to take.

5. African driver who brought me from James Street down to the Quays before crossing back over the Liffey to bring me up to Dame Street. Totally unnecessary.

I still jump into the first taxi I see on the rank. I think it's important though that you know your route as some times taxi drivers take mad routes - whether there is a cynical motive behind this or a lack of route knowledge, I dont know. It's also good to know that a taxi driver is obliged to take you to any destination 30km or less.

(Apologies for the Dublin references, just noticed this is the Galway forum)

regarding point number 4 if he had a D sticker on his cab he should know his way around Dublin. I have encountered several non national taxidrivers in Galway who do not know their way around. they should have to do a basic test.there should be some kind of standards.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,161 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Fuinseog wrote: »
    probably that all Irish taxi drivers are racist.
    Not all but a % would be just like there is a % in Irish society at large, as can be seen in this thread to a lesser degree. Maybe racism is too strong for whats being said here but certainly racial ignorance is being demonstrated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,161 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

regarding point number 4 if he had a D sticker on his cab he should know his way around Dublin. I have encountered several non national taxidrivers in Galway who do not know their way around. they should have to do a basic test.there should be some kind of standards.
    Agreed that there should be a basic standard but the customer can contact the regulator and report any driver they are unhappy with. Its simple really.

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Cúirt Na Rásaí my good man :)

The looks I get back, they think I'm mad :confused:

Right, Ballybrit so. I wasn't trying to confuse you, no need for the blank and confused look :(

Some of the drivers struggle mightily with the estate names. Ok sir, I'll direct every step of the way, sigh
    some estates just have a Gaelic name.
    I just usually mention a landmark in the vicinity, if they do not know that I get out. I do not trust some dude who is just in galway taxidriving for the weekend. support the local boys who live here.

I tend to go for the black drivers, as they're the only ones that don't spew racist drivel. Last ignorant pr*ck I had giving it all that, I pissed in the back of his car. Course I wouldn't advise that sort of behaviour.

thats it. blacks are incapable of being racist. its only whites that be ever racist black taxi drivers are beyond reproach. only a racist would criticise them.

mrsweebri wrote: »
    I see this kind of logic (lack of) so often. If you said, don't go into supermacs - one particular Irish business- this is a comment on the one business, not racism. If you say, don't use that black/African taxi driver, that is a comment on an individual, not racism.

If you say, don't use Irish businesses, that is a general comment based on nationality. This is xenophobia/racism. If you say, don't use black or African taxi driverS, that is a derogatory and damaging comment based on race and is racism.

I know you're IRISH, but It's not that hard. (get it yet?)

maybe the taxidriver was trying to give the OP some friendly advice. there are some normal black taxi drivers and there are some cowboys. taxidrivers are at the coalface every night. they see life differently.
    I find it funny how irish people hate tinkers but will pounce on you if criticise blacks.
    in any case i am not sure how much of a debate can take place here. the last time I criticised black taxi drivers for parking on double yellow lines outside cps I was banned.

Not all but a % would be just like there is a % in Irish society at large, as can be seen in this thread to a lesser degree. Maybe racism is too strong for whats being said here but certainly racial ignorance is being demonstrated.

shock horror. There are people in Galway who are intolerant and dislike other races. i was in America sharing a taxi with well heeled, well educated Americans who openly used the term 'nnigger' and no eyebrows were raised. I was shocked, though here he same ind of people would be horrified by he usage of the n word, but would not have a problem referring to members of the travelling community as 'knackers'.
    how would Galway cab drivers in Nigeria fare? Even if they were not kidnapped the locals would resent outsiders coming in taking their business. it s the same the world over.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

I avoid the taxis with Mayo GAA stickers, a good few of them around

Run them out of town :mad:

mikemac1 wrote: »
    I avoid the taxis with Mayo GAA stickers, a good few of them around

Run them out of town :mad:

do they have a G sticker or are they just working here the weekends?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

I find it funny how irish people hate tinkers.....

Excuse me! :confused:

Speak for yourself please.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

OP have got their point across. If someone from the taxi company in question wants to respond PM me.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement