Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Law -- Eggs for Sale.

• 28-01-2012 1:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

3Up to quite recently, driving around the country, every so often you would see a notice outside of a cottage or small holding advising you that there were "Eggs for Sale". The notice was placed there by good people who had too many hens laying too many eggs and you were now invited to participate in this bonanza.

It is now, as I understand it, illegal to place any such notice on the roadside without a licence. What is this licence about? What purpose does it serve? Who does it protect? And how are these poultry keepers supposed to dispose of their surplus eggs from here on in?

This is EU regulations gone berserk. This is the result of egghead bureaucrats sitting around tables in Brussels trying to find work for themselves. These people wouldn't know a free rage egg from a wheelbarrow.

I believe it is time that you and I started to fight back. We Irish are the only people in Europe who would grovel to this nonsense. The French don't. The Germans don't.

I would like to start up a group of poultry keepers against this intrusion into our human rights. Let all of us put up a notice outside our gates saying "Fresh hen eggs for barter". We will not sell them but we will give them away for payment in kind or for a donation. A bit like we had to do in the 70's with contraceptives. Let us show up this law for what it is -- a complete farce and an unwelcome intrusion into our civil rights. Are you with me?

If this idea appeals to you please contact me by pm

[Mod Edit: Its not a good idea to put your email address up here. I changed it to pm which will be less prone to spam]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

This rule has been there for years. There are simple ways around it. See the thread on it here:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056464598

arynne wrote: »
    Up to quite recently, driving around the country, every so often you would see a notice outside of a cottage or small holding advising you that there were "Eggs for Sale". The notice was placed there by good people who had too many hens laying too many eggs and you were now invited to participate in this bonanza.

It is now, as I understand it, illegal to place any such notice on the roadside without a licence. What is this licence about? What purpose does it serve? Who does it protect? And how are these poultry keepers supposed to dispose of their surplus eggs from here on in?

This is EU regulations gone berserk. This is the result of egghead bureaucrats sitting around tables in Brussels trying to find work for themselves. These people wouldn't know a free rage egg from a wheelbarrow.

I believe it is time that you and I started to fight back. We Irish are the only people in Europe who would grovel to this nonsense. The French don't. The Germans don't.

I would like to start up a group of poultry keepers against this intrusion into our human rights. Let all of us put up a notice outside our gates saying "Fresh hen eggs for barter". We will not sell them but we will give them away for payment in kind or for a donation. A bit like we had to do in the 70's with contraceptives. Let us show up this law for what it is -- a complete farce and an unwelcome intrusion into our civil rights. Are you with me?

[Mod Edit: Its not a good idea to put your email address up here. I changed it to pm which will be less prone to spam]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

arynne wrote: »
    3Up to quite recently, driving around the country, every so often you would see a notice outside of a cottage or small holding advising you that there were "Eggs for Sale". The notice was placed there by good people who had too many hens laying too many eggs and you were now invited to participate in this bonanza.

So how many eggs can you get for a condom these days?:D

Best of luck with it anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 136 ✭✭chickenfarmer

As far as I know the purpose of the licence is to ensure that the facilities are up to standard to protect the welfare of the birds. Also to ensure that the egg handling and holding facilites are hygenic.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 theMountain

Excuse my ignorance in this matter but who in the name of God is going around the country looking for "eggs for sale" signs on the side of a road ? The mind boggles !

Advertisement