Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Holiday at home - will you?

• 28-01-2012 3:25am
    Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I see that the chief executive of booking website GoIreland, Mike Webster, has sent out a plea to Irish holidaymakers to consider taking their holidays at home here in Ireland - to "Occupy Ireland" - instead of travelling abroad.

Now, sh*tty weather notwithstanding, are there any other reasons why you might not consider holidaying in Ireland? Rip off prices? Shoddy service? Nothing for the kiddies to do? Seen evertyhing there is to see already?

Occupy Ireland rather than abroad is tourism plea
    Related

GENEVIEVE CARBERY
    Irish Times

A PLEA to Irish people planning holidays this year to ‘Occupy Ireland’’ rather than holiday abroad is being made in an effort to boost the Irish tourism industry.

It is estimated the Irish will spend 50 million bed nights abroad in 2012 while leaving 16 million vacant bed nights at home.

If one in three people were to swap their trip in the sun for one at home it could create 40,000 jobs, said Mike Webster chief executive of Irish booking site GoIreland.com.

Irish people are expected to spend more on trips abroad this year than total income for the Irish tourism industry from both domestic and foreign visitors, he said yesterday.

Total tourism revenues in Ireland were €4.6 billion in 2010 compared with a predicted expenditure of €5 billion by Irish people travelling abroad this year, he added.

GoIreland has estimated that there are some 32 million bed-nights available in Ireland with 50 per cent occupancy compared with an expected 50 million bed-nights spent abroad by Irish people this year.

Bed occupancy is a “tale of one city” with Dublin quite high but everything dropping off “outside the pale”, Mr Webster said.

GoIreland used trends from Fáilte Ireland figures to calculate a fall off in Irish people’s holidays abroad using the latest data available from the CSO Household Survey. This 2009 data puts Irish trips abroad (excluding business travel) at €5.8 billion in expenditure and 57 million bed nights.

Mr Webster admits that the Irish weather will make his appeal more of a challenge as he competes at the Holiday World Show in the RDS, Dublin, this weekend with sun-soaked destinations.

“There is a huge opportunity for Irish people to take this into their own hands and not leave it to the political classes, who will take too long,” he said. In that vein he urged “all of the Cabinet” to “firmly come out and say they will holiday at home”.

He points out that money spent on tourism is worth more to the economy than an increase in retail sales of imported goods.

However, he does not want to “play the green jersey” and is appealing to the pocket by directing to the “extraordinarily good value” available in Ireland.

He estimates that two Irish week-long holidays and two mini-breaks could be taken for the same price as a family holiday abroad.

There is room for change in the way domestic tourism is marketed to Irish people away from the image of people running on the beach to a more realistic picture, he said.

“Show people that they can get into the car and they are only an hour and a half away from a week’s holiday. We need to highlight the simplicity of it and the value,” he said.

As for the weather this summer his prediction is more optimistic than statistic. “I am positive we will have the best weather ,” he said.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,664 ✭✭✭policarp

Staycation!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,258 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

If this ever akes off it'll only be a matter of time before the Govt. introduces a tax on holidaying in Ireland!

"er.......... it's a tax on NOT wearing puffy directing pants"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭Fromthetrees

I sleep in the spare bedroom for two weeks every July instead of my usual bedroom to give the illusion of being on holidays, good times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Holiday in Ireland?........

I'd rather rod my dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭FinnLizzy

Sure, help the economy and all. There's a few counties that I like to holiday in during the summer......
    ...... Antrim, Armagh, Fermanagh, Down, Tyrone and Derry.

He said Ireland right?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭Millicent

I looked into weekends here and holidays and it still seems just as cost effective, if not cheaper, to head off on a cheap sun holiday. So no, probably not, unless the prices get more competitive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,137 ✭✭✭Balfie

Costa Del Tramore seems to be the main hotspot for loads of Irish anyways..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

Holidaying in your own country is akin to defecating in a neighbours toilet.

Stressful, but not too much trouble. Nor much fun. Bad quality food.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,801 ✭✭✭✭Kojak

I'm not going on holiday at all - take that Mr. Taxman.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Probably. Did it last year, spent a couple of days in Dublin and took in one of the summer concerts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,258 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Domo230 wrote: »
    When your unemployed every day is a holiday *

* A really **** one

That'll prepare you nicely for holidaying in Ireland so

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭southsiderosie

Millicent wrote: »
    I looked into weekends here and holidays and it still seems just as cost effective, if not cheaper, to head off on a cheap sun holiday. So no, probably not, unless the prices get more competitive.

Thank you! If the tourism board is interested in more business, then they need to stand up to the publicans in particular and stop price-fixing on drink and over-regulation of restaurants & cafes. And NAMA should use some of the empty apartments in its portfolio for vacation rentals or convert them to hostels or something. Ireland is still outrageously expensive, especially compared to Spain and Portugal - and they have much better weather (and food, sorry).

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭nommm

The thing is that you can never guarantee good weather here. A few summers ago, we stayed at home and went out to Accle Island and had a great time. We were lucky to get amazing weather so we could take full advantage of the beautiful beaches and walks in the area. But weather like that isn't always guaranteed and I'm afraid sitting indoors cos of the rain isn't really my idea of a good holiday!

nommm wrote: »
    The thing is that you can never guarantee good weather here. A few summers ago, we stayed at home and went out to Accle Island and had a great time. We were lucky to get amazing weather so we could take full advantage of the beautiful beaches and walks in the area. But weather like that isn't always guaranteed and I'm afraid sitting indoors cos of the rain isn't really my idea of a good holiday!

I wanted to rent a one-room cottage for a week in a rural area in winter. I had visions of reading in front of a turf fire while it was pouring rain outside, getting a lot of writing done, etc. Imagine my surprise when I realized that I could stay in a B&B in Dublin for a week for 1/5 of the cost of a cottage - and I wouldn't need to rent a car either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Despite all the doom and gloom we still remain a little rip-off Republic. So I'm more inclined to go overseas now for better value, than I was several years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭sarahbro

We're going to Wexford in March and we went to Kerry for 10 days last year.
    It can be done cheap enough and we were lucky to get glorious weather during our stay in Kerry.
    Despite all the doom and gloom and rip off Ireland - we have a beautiful country that we don't really appreciate (in my opinion anyway).
    I will gladly holiday in Ireland this year but not because a tourism board told me to :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

Yes. Five weeks in Aug/Sept. WeyHey! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

I wanted to rent a one-room cottage for a week in a rural area in winter. I had visions of reading in front of a turf fire while it was pouring rain outside, getting a lot of writing done, etc. Imagine my surprise when I realized that I could stay in a B&B in Dublin for a week for 1/5 of the cost of a cottage - and I wouldn't need to rent a car either.

Hey southsiderosie! If you try Daft.ie .......... lots of cottages to rent ........ perhaps if you contacted one of them and asked for a week only - they may oblige. Some place might be in between rents ie. next tenants not due to take up residence for a month or so. E100 + electric should do the trick. Ask nicely :)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I agree with Southsiderosie. One of the main reasons why more Irish don't holiday at home are the rip-off prices charged by hoteliers, publicans, restaurateurs and rent-a-cottage landlords.

They can't have it both ways - overcharge holidaymakers and then expect them to come back again. Ireland is indeed a very beautiful country - especially the West - but sheer greed and "fumbling at the greasy till" merchants are holding its potential back.

Yeats wrote those words almost a century ago - not much has changed in that regard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

We're holidaying in Ireland this year. It costs us 100 before we ever leave on holiday to kennel our pets so by staying in the country we save that straight away.

We're considering Donegal. I've never been. Really looking forward to it.

• Advertisement

Spread wrote: »
    Hey southsiderosie! If you try Daft.ie .......... lots of cottages to rent ........ perhaps if you contacted one of them and asked for a week only - they may oblige. Some place might be in between rents ie. next tenants not due to take up residence for a month or so. E100 + electric should do the trick. Ask nicely :)

Well I don't live in Ireland anymore, so it's not really an issue. But even when I was there, I did try to cut deals with people over short-term leases - I've never understood why a landlord would rather leave a place empty than have a tenant. And it's not like they were palaces - most hadn't seen any kind of renovation or upgrading in the last 20 years. Plus I offered to pay cash up front. And still people hemmed and hawed.

In my experience, short-term places were a lot easier to come by in Northern Ireland, and the landlords far more pragmatic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 350 ✭✭ICANN

Well seeing as I live in the UK all of my holidays involve going back home if that counts?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

I love holidaying in Ireland. People say that the cost is too much, I really don't see much difference. There are good deals out there. Some of the most beautiful places in the world are just an hour or two drive away, the only thing that is holding us back is the weather.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Some of the most beautiful places in the world are just an hour or two drive away, the only thing that is holding us back is the weather.

Totally agree, Ireland really is a beautiful country if you take the time to appreciate it.

I'm not overly pushed on a sun holiday and love the idea of cosying up in a little cottage with an open fire if the weather is bad. One of the most enjoyable days I've ever had was on a weekend trip to Achill. We got caught in a downpour on the walk to a pub. When we got to the pub we were ushered to the open fire and rushed out a nice bowl of soup to warm us up. We sat and watched angry clouds push in from the sea for a few hours, then were driven back to our hotel by the pub manager.

We've got a 5 1/2 hour drive ahead of us this year rather than an hour or 2 but it should be worth it. Pity it's not til September. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

I agree, a week on a campsite in France works out cheaper (and more fun) than a weekend in Ireland. Thanks to Michael O'Leary!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 kunob

Hello. I Head to leave ireland for work Last Year and am now living in Germany. Food and Drink is Ten Times the Quality and it is about 30 to 60 pct. cheaper here. Example: a Crate of beer with Ten litres of Top Quality Stuff is 14 Euro. a weekend Shop for Food, Drink, household stuff is about 60 to 70 Euro, for High Quality Brands. Many People used to tell me to feck Off back home if i didn't like it. I did and miss Ireland dreadfully. But just accepting rip Off pricing will Never change anything. Are there any Self confident Rebels left in Ireland who will stand up and say: Enough is Enough?

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭BO-JANGLES

Holidayed twice in Ireland for a family holiday and my kids begged us to go home early as there was not much to do . Total rip off here, crap service,not one decent theme park, need I go on ? :( I find Ireland doesn't really cater for children so we will never holiday here again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Galway raceweek, it's the place to be :)

As to be expected, price of everything gets jacked up :(

Ye can rent a house or flat around Ballybrit, little Africa/Doughiska or Renmore easily enough

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,152 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Will be spending a few weekends down in Kerry, and possibly Galway in or around the Arts festival.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

Not a hope. For 800 euro 6 of us (3 adults and 3 kids) are going to Italy for a week on the Adriatic coast. A few miles from Venice, cheap Ryanair flights and 7 night's in a mobile home(canvas holidays) at a resort right next to the beach. This is in may. Think I would be paying more in Ireland and get rain. Car hire would be extra 200 euro but we don't plan on doing much driving.

My husband stayed in banna strand, kerry last year with our boys, while I went to lanzerote with my daughter and mom.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Park Royal

I'm really looking forward to parading in front of 5,000,000 unemployed Spanish

people this year....

I'm sure there be no problem walking home at 4.30 am to the apartment ,,,

half drunk ....with me pockets full of euro......:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,661 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Park Royal wrote: »
    I'm really looking forward to parading in front of 5,000,000 unemployed Spanish

people this year....

I'm sure there be no problem walking home at 4.30 am to the apartment ,,,

half drunk ....with me pockets full of euro......:rolleyes:

Are the Spanish government keeping all their unemployed people in the one Costa del Sol resort then?

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Park Royal

When you get the rap over the head , it may well indeed feel like it.....

a large portion of the 5 million unemployed Spanish are under 25 years of age..

I suspect the 5 million will be dispersed in small groups to every possible

tourist location and then some we wont ever get to see......

25% of the work force are unemployed......bound to be good bargains to be

had in Spain this year ....:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

I plan on going on a road trip in Ireland sometime this year. It's a beautiful country that I haven't seen much of.
    I hope to hop onto the car and just drive, and stop when I feel like it.
    I never thought that it would be as expensive as others are making out... I should probably do more homework .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

Whenever I hear 'Irish holidays', I'm haunted by visions Of Mosney and Táin. As a 9 year old, I was subjected to what felt like three days of Aengus McNally belting out showband classics. When they turned it into a refugee camp (or whatever PC name they put on it), Kosovar and Africans were turning up hoping for some peace and clean water. When they got shown around Mosney they must have got some shock!

Táin was worse. Here's a broken compass and a map we made ourselves from an Art Attack tape. Now you go find three acorns, berries and some woodlice and meet us back here in an hour. I just kept thinking: 'I left behind F1 97 on PS for this ****.'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Pataman

I sleep in the spare bedroom for two weeks every July instead of my usual bedroom to give the illusion of being on holidays, good times.

"Spare Bedroom"??? Bloody capitalist
    Tax the spare bedrooms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Can't really understand, why people always travel to the Sun. There are many nice spots in Ireland, imo.

And just imagine, more people staying here, prices might go down...well, it's a slight possibility, I wouldn't hold my breath, but still...;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭Jim_Kiy

Pataman wrote: »
    "Spare Bedroom"??? Bloody capitalist
    Tax the spare bedrooms.

Think I feel a four yorkshire men thread starting..

Spare bedrooms gah the luxury.
    I will be hoildaying in a shoe box on the Donegal coast this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

Ha I've never had a holiday even at home, wouldn't even be able to afford to stay somewhere in the country and pay for accommodation and food.

I have been to London and Venice but only for a day or two for work, its worst than not going because I got to see the places but not be a tourist or relax :)

Holiday in my sitting room for me :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

Ireland actually has the cheapest hotel accommodation in western Europe, for me Ireland has good week/end break destinations but it wouldn't offer me enough to stay a week.

So yes I will be having a w/e break in Ireland but I will holiday abroad.

http://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=the%20cheapest%20accommodation%20in%20europe%20ireland&source=web&cd=3&ved=0CHcQFjAC&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.rte.ie%2Fnews%2F2010%2F0913%2Fhotel_industry.html&ei=PPojT8ymBMWZhQfCmJGQBA&usg=AFQjCNFec-dPZxrkHLUR_NCjkGlS0xUHug&cad=rja

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭Heckler

Lars1916 wrote: »
    Can't really understand, why people always travel to the Sun. There are many nice spots in Ireland, imo.

And just imagine, more people staying here, prices might go down...well, it's a slight possibility, I wouldn't hold my breath, but still...;)

Its not always about the sun. I always holiday abroad and have only been on one "sun" holiday. Its about experiencing different cultures, food etc. and seeing what other countries have to offer. The Ray D'arcy show did a comparison and figured it was better value to stay in Ireland for holidays. Maybe, but i'd rather holiday in a 2 star hotel in the shadow of the Eiffel tower than spend a week in a 5 star hotel in fecking sligo.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

I stayed here last year during the summer and by christ was it boring.I also got free accommodation and ended up spending 700 on nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

policarp wrote: »
    Staycation!

I thought a staycation was where you stayed at home in your own house/apartment etc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭mongdesade

grenache wrote: »
    Holiday in Ireland?........

I'd rather rod my dog.

Reported to ISPCA :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

juan.kerr wrote: »
    I thought a staycation was where you stayed at home in your own house/apartment etc?

nah that's called the dole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭lividduck

Reasons Not to holiday in ireland
    Over-priced accomodation
    Rip off restaurant prices usually for third rate food and piss poor service
    Hugely overpriced wines in restaurants.
    No theme parks
    Uncivil and ignorant service
    Crazy parking charges near any ameniety worth visting.
    Enda "Your all mad,mad I tell you" Kenny
    Eamon "We must protect the public service perks no matter how much we screw the plebs" Gilmore
    Sewage on the beaches
    Junkies on Luas, the boardwalk,the buses!
    Dog**** on our seldom cleaned streets

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭skywalker_208

JupiterKid wrote: »
    Mike Webster, has sent out a plea to Irish holidaymakers to consider taking their holidays at home here in Ireland - to "Occupy Ireland" - instead of travelling abroad.

I wonder if Mike Webster will holiday at home!
    Doubt it! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭boobar

Agreed and to be honest every where you go, there's the usual whige fest about how bad things are here.

I had a staycation with the family in Ireland last year. It was just ok for the money that we spent and we got very lucky with the weather.

The year before was another staycation and it bucketed rain so this year it's a sun holiday for us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭boobar

lividduck wrote: »
    Reasons Not to holiday in ireland
    Over-priced accomodation
    Rip off restaurant prices usually for third rate food and piss poor service
    Hugely overpriced wines in restaurants.
    No theme parks
    Uncivil and ignorant service
    Crazy parking charges near any ameniety worth visting.
    Enda "Your all mad,mad I tell you" Kenny
    Eamon "We must protect the public service perks no matter how much we screw the plebs" Gilmore
    Sewage on the beaches
    Junkies on Luas, the boardwalk,the buses!
    Dog**** on our seldom cleaned streets

Where will you holiday was the question.

I was wondering how long it would take for someone to introduce the "BASH THE PUBLIC SERVICE" as a response ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

Thank you! If the tourism board is interested in more business, then they need to stand up to the publicans in particular and stop price-fixing on drink and over-regulation of restaurants & cafes. And NAMA should use some of the empty apartments in its portfolio for vacation rentals or convert them to hostels or something. Ireland is still outrageously expensive, especially compared to Spain and Portugal - and they have much better weather (and food, sorry).

We have enough hotels as it is... we certainly don't need NAMA providing more.

• Advertisement
Advertisement