Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

My Play TV device doesn't work. Help!

• 28-01-2012 10:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 33

Hi,

Hope someone can help me here. I bought the Play TV device for the Playstation 3 2nd hand on ebay from a UK seller. When I went to tune in the channels with the play tv tuner, it could not locate any channels. I tried selecting both other and UK as the regions, nothing. When I connect my external tv aerial to the tv directly I am able to pick up the saorview channels no problem. I have read of people here in Ireland being able to pick up Irish tv channels through the Play TV device so I'm not sure why it does not work for me.

My playstation has the latest software installed and is connected to the PSN network etc.

I am located in North Dublin btw.

If anyone can provide any insight into this, it would be much appreciated.

Also I'm not technically minded when it comes to tv signals/frequencies etc.

Many thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Did you update the PlayTV software? You have to do that to get it to support Irish channels.

The latest update also has a bug that causes it to crash every so often which Sony are working on currently (for past while ...) but that is another story.

You should be able to get the channels with the updated software as long as the aerial is connected and pointing in a direction which can receive the Saorview channels.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Dane Bramage

Thanks so much responding to me.

What I did was put in the cd and installed the software. The version of software is 1.0. When I do the initial 10 step set up it does not detect any channels (nor does it prompt me for a software update at any stage. I can only get as far as step 7 which tells me that the channel scan failed and that I can either retry or start over. I can't do anything else nor will it allow me to go any further. The software does not let me get passed the 10 step set-up stage so there is no scope for me to request a software update when running the application (version 1.0).

What I did after I saw your message was that I went to the Playstation Store and paid 7.99 to download Play TV Live Chat Upgrade. This was advertised as a full game update so I understood this to be the software update. But when I downloaded the software, the screen then said install complete and hit the circle button which takes you back to the Playstation Store. When I went back to the Play Tv application, I hit the triangle button, selected information and the version still reads 1.0.

I see from other discussion forums that many Irish Playstation owners have managed to get this to work. I'm guessing they must have initially experienced this problem when installing Play TV initially and got around it somehow.

I'm hoping that there is just one important detail I'm overlooking. But for now I'm completely stuck.

Have you any other ideas how I can get around this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,463 ✭✭✭shinzon

check for updates from within the software dont scan for channels just click on the settings check for updates button, also and dont take this the wrong way you do have the playtv connected to an aerial to receive the signal as you need this in conjunction with the playtv box.

Shin

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Dane Bramage

Yep the aerial is plugged in alright! No offence taken btw!!

When I run the playstation software at no point does it prompt or even give me the opportunity to install updates. It just takes me to the set-up stage where I have to plug the devices in etc. I can't get past step 7 out of 10. And even though I can't get any channels once I scan, it does not let me go any further. The only choice I have is to keep going back to retry the tuning or start the software over from scratch. It won't let me do anything else.

Thanks so much for being so helpful so far.

Advertisement