Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Claiming money back on fees

Options
  • 28-01-2012 11:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 36

Hi

So my parents have just paid out fees for myself and my brother and are wondering how to claim back the 500 euro for the second child that the government said was possible.

i thought we did it through tax relief but they think its done in a different way.

If anyone has any ideas please let me know?

thanks
    :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭stop

It's €400, and you get it back by getting whoever paid the fees to submit revenue form IT31.

A quick google found on the ucd site:
    Reduced Student Contribution for second and subsequent children

The Budget 2010 indicated that second and subsequent siblings from a single family will not have to bear the full increased cost of the new €2,000 contribution.
    • The new Student Contribution will be allowable for tax relief.
    • With effect from 2011, the first €2000 in qualifying fees per claim will be ineligible for tax relief for students in full-time education. For students in part-time education, the first €1000 in qualifying fees will be ineligible.
    • Families with two or more children liable for the new student contribution charge will qualify for tax relief in respect of payments arising from second and subsequent sibling liability. Based on current rates of relief, the effective cost of the student contribution, net of tax relief, for second and subsequent siblings will be €1600 each.
    • It is also intended to increase the upper threshold for tax relief on qualifying fees per course from the current €5000 ceiling to €7000.
    • For further details on the tax relief please refer to the Revenue Commissioners. This ultimately will be updated with the consequence of the 2011 Finance Act.
    • In conclusion, families deal directly with the Revenue Commissioners on claiming relief, not with the University

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

Does anyone know if you can back claim to 2007?

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭GobBass

I was wondering if it is possible to get money back on something I repeated three times but was told I got the original time passed by compensation last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

I have a fees question I hope someone can answer without making a new thread. Anyone know what the penalty for late payment is?

Advertisement