Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Denied Sunday Hours?

Options
  • 28-01-2012 1:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I recently swapped shifts with a girl in work because she didn't want to work this Sunday. When I informed my Shift Manager he said to me: "That's ok for now, but please try to avoid taking Sunday shifts."
    I asked him why and he explained that the new owner had told him not to give Sunday shifts to any of the people employed under the old contract (we have higher pay and a better Sunday rate), because it would cost him too much. I haven't been given a Sunday shift in ages and I'd wondered why (I used to always work on Sunday), and I'm really annoyed about this since I only work part-time and Sunday pay makes a big difference to my wages.
    I want to take this up with the owner, but amn't sure how to go about it. I'm pretty sure it can be counted as a form of discrimination, so I'm thinking of bringing that up with him, but don't want to risk losing my job because of it. Does anyone have some advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

They're perfectly entitled to discriminate against people who are paid too much.

I guess you could offer to move under the new contract?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Newaglish

They are under no obligation to give you Sunday hours. You can ask to do Sundays on the new lower rate but you don't have any sort of a case against them from a legal standpoint.

Advertisement