Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Oh Bo***x

• 28-01-2012 1:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 586 ✭✭✭

I had the misfortune of being let go from my job yesterday..A case of too many staff, last in ,first out...
    Anybody know anybody hiring at the moment,,sales or parts. I've done both.

Or maybe its career change time,,,,a career in the dole que!

Oh well,,,this Renault 20 will pass some time for me, I'm sure ,when it arrives

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

we need a button the opposite of thanks...sorry for your trouble...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

Indeed, it's been a quiet January all round for everyone I'd say. :(
    If only we hadn't gone mental borrowing money...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭johnos1984

Sorry to hear this John. You had made reference to it before and expressed genuine distress at the prospect.

All I can say is keep your wits about you and don't let it get you down and you'll spot an opportunity.

I've had numerous jobs since the bad times hit yet I've only been on the dole queues for 3 weeks at the most :)

Good luck and keep us posted if you need help/advice or a rant

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 536 ✭✭✭ahal

They mightn't be top of my Birthday party invite list, but have you had a look at the S.I.M.I. website recruitment section? http://www.simi.ie/training_career_development/recruitment.aspx

As the Chinese say, if you want to catch rabbits go to where rabbits all hang out ... or something like that :pac:

Best of luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gyppo

Hey John,
    Sorry to hear of this, Cowan, Bertie, et al have left behind a shell that once was a country.
    Look on this as an oppertunity to do things you had put on the long finger, and I dont mean things that cost money either. Get fit, learn to swim, stuff like that. And keep the chin up!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Tommyboy40

Sorry to hear that mate, as the previous poster said keep busy and keep your chin up

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Sorry to hear. Happened my last July. It'll give you time to work on the car (has for me!). Plus you'll start appreciating the shows at 1am!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

sorry to hear that! I can't add more than anyone else here but keep the chin up and something's bound to turn up after the jan/feb blues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,741 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

johnf2020 wrote: »
    Or maybe its career change time

Maybe it is! Think about that one. And whatever you do, do not let it get you down.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭JohnxF

Sorry to hear that John. Hopefully you'll get fixed up again. Times are tough in the motor trade. Aren't Renault pulling a lot of models out of the UK at the moment too?

John.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,733 ✭✭✭squonk

Sorry to hear that. It's not the best time of year and it's always a shock. I hoe something comes up for you pretty soon though. Keep the chin up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 431 ✭✭SilverBell

Also sorry to hear that too John. On the minus side you'll have less money. On the plus side you 'll have a lot of free time.
    Put it to good use, I like gyppo's suggestions. And do sign on, cos one time I was unemployed for 6 months, and didnt sign on for a month, I got the third degree from the Dept, "why didnt I sign on earlier?", "what was I doing?" etc.

Whatever you do, stay away from Judge Judy, and all that other crap on daytime TV. (you are allowed to visit boards though).:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭JohnxF

Definitely sign on if you haven't already! You've been paying PAYE, PRSI, etc for years so now's the chance to get some back! There are lots of allowances, reliefs, etc you could be entitled to so at least spend some of your initial free time sorting all that out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 586 ✭✭✭johnf2020

Thanks for all the support guys. When can I sign on?...Technically I'm paid for this week as its my notice period even though I finished on Friday!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

sign on first chance you get, then you wont miss out on any payments even if you arent immediately entitled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 431 ✭✭SilverBell

Thanks for all the support guys. When can I sign on?...Technically I'm paid for this week as its my notice period even though I finished on Friday!

I'm not 100% sure of the details, but you will probably need your P45 from your employer. Then visit your local Dole office, and chat to a face. I guess you may be a few days getting bits of paper, certs, bank statements and all that crap.

Perhaps others here will know more recent details than me.

Best to get the whole process under way. Dont bother phoning them, or looking on the net, chat to a face, ask them the questions, get a pen and paper and get filling out the forms.

Best of luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 291 ✭✭gfwd

Commiserations mate, I know the feeling! As everyone says, sign on now. They'll probably want to see you face to face and you may need to make an appointment for that (I did). After that it took around 4 weeks before I received any dole payments so the sooner you get your arse in gear the better (so stay off autosh1te ;))

Hopefully you'll be back in the saddle quickly. :)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

Sorry to hear about this.

Sign on pronto. First chance you get, get down there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Bigus

Pity about that, but sure it might open some new doors for you John.

I think there'll be a good few more joining you from Main Dealers

SilverBell wrote: »
    Whatever you do, stay away from Judge Judy

I'm glad you didn't say The Jeremy Kyle show. Never slag the Jeremy Kyle show!

... and the "All important DNA results" :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭johnos1984

ahal wrote: »
    I'm glad you didn't say The Jeremy Kyle show. Never slag the Jeremy Kyle show!

... and the "All important DNA results" :pac:

Whose child was it anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,794 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

I had the misfortune of being let go from my job yesterday..A case of too many staff, last in ,first out...
    Anybody know anybody hiring at the moment,,sales or parts. I've done both.

Or maybe its career change time,,,,a career in the dole que!

Oh well,,,this Renault 20 will pass some time for me, I'm sure ,when it arrives

Oh wollox is right: btdt.....sorry for your troubles. Get signed on, sharpish. Take a chill pill, and then Go Forth. The job is out there; you just haven't met it yet.

corktina wrote: »
    we need a button the opposite of thanks...sorry for your trouble...

Actually, that's occured to me more than a few times: would also prevent some threads degenerating into....nonsense......so, who's our Go-To-Guy around here, to see about this ?

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

johnos1984 wrote: »
    Whose child was it anyway

Mine of course. They don't call me 'The Bray Stallion' for nothing ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭Milly33

where are you based John

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 586 ✭✭✭johnf2020

I'm in Kilkenny....10 years in the trade, 3 years as a parts manager and 7 in sales.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭stackerman

Sorry to hear that lad, genuinely.

Not much any of us can say, other then it will pass and keep the head up.

Think the days of a career for life are gone, I've had to change a good few times already, and I aint anywhere near retirement :eek:

Good Luck

Advertisement