Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Single Parents Protest!

• 28-01-2012 1:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭sophia25

Well as AH are great at stereotyping single parents, perhaps they want to see the website & facebook page they have set up for their protest on Feb 18th . They have done a submission to advisory board in dept. of protection, mission statement etc. Does that shatter any preconceived notions or do people not want to understand the issues?

http://sparkcampaign.com/

https://www.facebook.com/irishsingleparentsfightback

All welcome to join in!:)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,151 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

sophia25 wrote: »
    Well as AH are great at stereotyping single parents, perhaps they want to see the website & facebook page they have set up for their protest on Feb 18th . They have done a submission to advisory board in dept. of protection, mission statement etc. Does that shatter any preconceived notions or do people not want to understand the issues?

If you're not a single parent, does this mean that you have to murder your partner so's you can join?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

I'm confused - are we protesting in favour of or against single parents?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭sophia25

juan.kerr wrote: »
    I'm confused - are we protesting in favour of or against single parents?

Mmmm is the website too confusing for you?? We can simplify it for you, if you need it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

You should have put this in the parental forum the apes here it might be a little too much for their brains to take in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,151 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

gcgirl wrote: »
    You should have put this in the parental forum the apes here it might be a little too much for their brains to take in.

:(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,439 ✭✭✭Kevin Duffy

You know AH is more than one person and there's more than one opinion, right?
    Maybe it's just me, but if I was looking for support and criticising generalisations, I wouldn't start with a generalised criticism of potential supporters.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

Mmmm is the website too confusing for you?? We can simplify it for you, if you need it.

Yeah if you wouldn't mind! I'm at work and the link is blocked apparently it's inappropriate! What exactly are single mothers protesting about? Who's minding the kids? Will they be left to their own devices to fight off the likes of Joe Pesci?

You know AH is more than one person and there's more than one opinion, right?
    Maybe it's just me, but if I was looking for support and criticising generalisations, I wouldn't start with a generalised criticism of potential supporters.
    Where do I start ??? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Dohnny Jepp

Excuse me while I try find the fcuk I was going to give. . .
    . .
    Sorry can't find it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Well as AH are great at stereotyping single parents,

Do you even want our opinion? :(

edit: Kevin Duffy asked already above

• Advertisement

Looks like you may need to. We all want to be ringfenced by the cuts (other than the Croke Park beneficiaries). The reality is we can't all be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,439 ✭✭✭Kevin Duffy

Where do I start ??? :)

Where would you start with what what? A critique of what I said? Anywhere you like and carefully explain what was inaccurate about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

Pffftt, nonsense. I'm empathise with this demographic. Everyone should be a singing parent as music is food for the soul. Is there sheet music available if we want to join in the protest? Should sound great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭westendgirlie

I can't click the links. What's occurring?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Will there be lots of hot, gullible women there?

Looks like you may need to. We all want to be ringfenced by the cuts (other than the Croke Park beneficiaries). The reality is we can't all be.
    Simplify it, the cut on the ce scheme basically stops lone parents from working, where as the minister is cutting her nose of despite her face, saying that she does not want people to be dependent on SW but making it impossible for lone parents to try and not depend on SW.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭Jim_Kiy

Is Kevin Meyers giving any speeches?might attend if he is.

Can we start a protest against single parents?

I was listening to Niall Boylan on 4fm the other night. They were talking about single mothers with 3 or more children all with different fathers and the reluctance to put the fathers name on the birth cert so they could get their full 'entitlements'.

A lobby group so
    S.P.A.R.K. is a diverse group of single parents living in Ireland who have united together to protect our children from the radical policy changes introduced in Budget 2012.

"I know cuts are inevitable........just cut someone else and leave us alone"

Nothing wrong with this, every group wants as much money and and as little pain as possible

stovelid wrote: »

Keep your lid on it though Stove, these ones are quite fertile :)

• Advertisement

The average age of a line parent is 37 so if your after cougars you might be in luck

Keep your lid on it though Stove, these ones are quite fertile :)

They have even been known to have immaculate conceptions.

OK how about for starters, did you know that if you work as a single parnt and are let go, you now have to go on OPFA. Guess what on OPFA you can't do jobbridge!

We can do CE schemes for €20 a week but hav to fund childcare out of this €20???

We are forced longterm on SW and do not have same opportunities as others.

To do a fas course, we have to pay €25 for childcare, we only get an additional €29.80 per week for a child so if we do course left with €4.80 to feed and clothe child.

Shall I go on, or is it clear that the budget is forcing single parents out of training oe work experiences??

€25 for childcare is incredible :)

There are people paying hundreds and hundreds per month, almost a second mortgage

I'm just having a laugh.

No wish to go down the road you appear to be travelling on.

Can someone help answer a question I have about the term 'bastard'.

One of the definitions from http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/bastard is 'a person born of unmarried parents; an illegitimate child.'

So can a girl be a bastard?

I was listening to Niall Boylan on 4fm the other night. They were talking about single mothers with 3 or more children all with different fathers and the reluctance to put the fathers name on the birth cert so they could get their full 'entitlements'.
    Epic fail
    Any lone parent i know have the dads name on the birth cert
    I have 3 kids by the same dad his on the birthcert wow like :)
    Why should I make my kids be brought up in a home where it's hostile or walking on egg shells all the time, best thing we did was break up, we actually after a lot of crap get along better

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭graceanseo

This SPARK group have acheived a lot in a very short time and they are committed to the long haul, it's not simply about reversing the cuts. It's about a change in Social Policy. It's about the long term. People parenting alone are not the stereotype that the government has happily let you all buy into with their well time media reports. Any parent could become a lone parent at anytime, nobody knows what's around the corner be it death, relationship breakdown, mental health issues the list goes on. Nobody can deny the facts and the facts clearly show that people parenting alone are being discriminated against every which way they turn to try and improve their situation. I say Viva La Revolution!!! :D

• Advertisement

One of the definitions from http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/bastard is 'a person born of unmarried parents; an illegitimate child.'

That's pretty horrible, to be honest.

May seem horrible but it's a legal term

Law books reference it

Words change over time, what was acceptable once and can seem unacceptable now

Total crap Sophie! I have the same opportunties as any other adult. And shock, horror, I probably have more income benefits as a single mum with 2 kids than a married couple. I certainly get the same credits as them!

What you gonna do when your kids grow up? Cry that 188 isn't enough for you now?

€25 is indeed excellent, magical even especially when one's travel costs to works are added, taken from the €28 extra lone parents in that particular situation receive and hey presto these people are coming out with LESS than they started with.

That's pretty horrible, to be honest.

My intention was not to insult / shock and it isn't a troll post. Just looking for an answer.

mikemac1 wrote: »
    May seem horrible but it's a legal term

Law books reference it

Words change over time, what was acceptable once and can seem unacceptable now

Think it's the sly implication in the deployment of the phrase in this thread rather than the phrase itself.

Maybe I'm wrong.

• Advertisement

Well Juan has explained himself above

Can't ask for more then that :)

Total crap Sophie! I have the same opportunties as any other adult. And shock, horror, I probably have more income benefits as a single mum with 2 kids than a married couple. I certainly get the same credits as them!

What you gonna do when your kids grow up? Cry that 188 isn't enough for you now?

Laugh Out Loud at your ignorance - seriously! :D or maybe your simply not aware of the proposed changes to the Social Welfare system. Your ignorance speaks volumes

graceanseo wrote: »
    €25 is indeed excellent, magical even especially when one's travel costs to works are added, taken from the €28 extra lone parents in that particular situation receive and hey presto these people are coming out with LESS than they started with.

Grace, they can apply for FIS. Probably keep a portion of their one parenet, keep medical cards and also have entitlement to the back to school allowances.

It isn't a bad deal

Same **** different day all I can say is thank feck I've was not born with the begrugdery gene nor would I make someone in a difficult relationship stay in it, how many of our parents did and that's why people think its normal to behave in such a way. Not good

:D complete urban legend, utter bull ****e

• Advertisement

Grace, they can apply for FIS. Probably keep a portion of their one parenet, keep medical cards and also have entitlement to the back to school allowances.

It isn't a bad deal
    There's a cut off for btsa along with every so called entitlement and low paid married couple can apply for it to you know :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

Almost everyone's suffering folks.

Bitching and arguing about who's being screwed more isn't going to help anyone and I'm sure the government are happy to see people so this and distract themselves from the big payouts (bondholders, pensions and bonuses etc.) that are more worthy of getting angry about and that are haemmorhaging money that could be much better spent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

token101 wrote: »
    Yeah if you wouldn't mind! I'm at work and the link is blocked apparently it's inappropriate! What exactly are single mothers protesting about? Who's minding the kids? Will they be left to their own devices to fight off the likes of Joe Pesci?

You read what you wanted to read! The OP didn't mention single mothers. :rolleyes:

They might as well be because the fathers obviously make like the shadow of the the holy Spirit* and disappear just a quickly. You seem to be another one of those singling out the mothers rather than sleazeball gits who shoot their load in them and then move on to do the same in another dozen girls without taking a single shred of responsibility for their sperm dumps.

I'm another one of those oddballs who have four children by the same man, he's even named on the marriage cert and birth cert, but of course, I'm in the minority. The whole of Ireland is overrun with with pyjama wearing single mothers pushing brand new brands and their brats are dressed in Hollister!

*"The holy Spirit will come upon you, and the power of the Most High will overshadow you." Angel Gabriel to Mary.

mikemac1 wrote: »
    €25 for childcare is incredible :)

There are people paying hundreds and hundreds per month, almost a second mortgage

EXACTLY. Impossible for most single parents to manage on their own and hence forces them reluctantly out of the labour market. Budget 2012 makes it nigh on impossible to get a foot back on the ladder.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

You know what's cheaper than childcare though? Jonnies. Just saying.

Laugh Out Loud at your ignorance - seriously! :D or maybe your simply not aware of the proposed changes to the Social Welfare system. Your ignorance speaks volumes

Laugh out loud all you like. If I am ignorant for being a WORKING SINGLE MOTHER then so be it.

I already said I couldn't click the above links.

May I ask do you work? Or are you taking the defeatest " I can't work because bla bla bla" line?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

Person/child... what do you think? Unless a female is neither a person or a child? Are you really puzzled about this question or just looking to stir shit?

It isn't a bad deal

Back to School Allowance has been further cut and wouldn't cover a childs basic needs such as books and uniform. FIS does not take chilcare expenses into account and is most lightly going next year anyhow. It's funny the assumption here too that the vast majority of lone parents are at this level of education. The general public like to think they're well informed but in fact the media controls you.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,237 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

Cop on. There's some great whit to be found in here sometimes. This forum is for having a bit of craic so posts here will invite a bit of slagging. That's what it's for.

I agree that perhaps the post might be better off being made in the Parenting forum if serious responses are required but there's no need to tar AH with such a broad brush.

Also, I have a hangover and I found it very hard to parse that sentence of yours. I think you left out a word somewhere. It's the weekend. Please be considerate to other users who may be nursing sore heads.

token101 wrote: »
    You know what's cheaper than childcare though? Jonnies. Just saying.
    Lol
    I know a guy who was married had 5 kids who assaulted his wife while pregnant and have countless affairs do you think that marriage was a: good for her or b: good for the kids, fair play to the woman who had the balls to feck him out in the end but it took her 15 years

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement