Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Single Parents Protest!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,366 ✭✭✭micropig

How would I have an extra €105 pw???? I still need a car, and I don't fancy defaulting on my loan.
    As for the savings......it's €5pw!!!!!

You can't afford a car. You choose to spend your money on it. Other options are available to you which would give you more cash flow - you'd have to compromise on the level of support.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

My circumstances were caused not by me. But by my first childs father who walked away after agreeing to have a child. My ex husband was an abusive bully, yes I chose to walk into the circumstance of being a lone parent with two children, and happily I did walk; would you have preferred I stayed in a volatile, emotionally and physically violent marriage with two young children??

So I'm sorry but I don't think it is too much to ask the state to prop me up while I get on my feet, get myself an education, and earn a degree so that I can go out and get a €40k+ job so I can return to the exchequer what has been given to me through the years. And also so I can happily give the two fingers to the two 'men' who I had to drag through court to get them to financially assist in the upbringing of the children they half created.

As for your figures, I wish I was getting €600 a week!! But for the sake of ambiguity I will break it down gently for you:
    €225 x 26 weeks: €5,850pa
    €267 x 20: €5,340pa
    €247 x 6: €1,482pa (these are all SW, I get BTEA while I am on my course and an extra €20 for the winter months - 20 wks)
    Maintenance: €152 per week: €7,936pa
    Child Benefit: €55 per week: €2,880pa
    Total amount per week: €451

As I stated previously, I do not receive rent allowance, so I have to pay €95pw towards rent. I also, due to lack of public transport, have the need for a car, which thanks to the price of petrol I am currently putting in around €80pw. My car loan and the few euro's I put in the credit union to keep a savings record costs me €60pw. Now we are up to €235pw. Before I have bought litre of milk, coal for the fire, car tax and insurance, clothing, electricity........... Shall I go on?

You're missing the point really. You get money as it is. €451 a week is generous. You have enough for savings FFS, and you want more? This is welfare we're talking about, you really need to come into reality here. This is becoming a farce.

How would I have an extra €105 pw???? I still need a car, and I don't fancy defaulting on my loan.

Just see here you have a budget of €10,000 to spend on a new car:eek::eek:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=76690203

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

micropig wrote: »

:pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 329 ✭✭samina

10,000???? Sure it's well for some isn't it :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Icepick

aare wrote: »
    That is it, and as soon as you are a mum, your first duty is to your child, not some lofty abstract of "the state".
    OK, but why should the state then have any obligation towards you (or your child)?
    steddyeddy wrote: »
    Do you recognise that some groups need more support from welfare so they can then become independent from welfare?
    :pac:
    Just see here you have a budget of €10,000 to spend on a new car
    sickening and disgraceful

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭aare

Would extension of the state offered childcare scheme cost €25 / week:eek: would benefit them just as much as a few extra quid a week?

No, not until there is some actual work they can do for "a few extra quid".:rolleyes:

PERFIDY!!!

One single mum has 10k to spend on a new car (for whatever reason)...there is only one solution...BACK TO THE LAUNDRIES WITH THE LOT OF 'EM...the kids can be sold to wealthy americans to recoup the cost of their 'orrible sponging ways...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

token101 wrote: »
    You're missing the point really. You get money as it is. €451 a week is generous. You have enough for savings FFS, and you want more? This is welfare we're talking about, you really need to come into reality here. This is becoming a farce.

€251 of what I get is welfare, the rest is maintenance and child benefit, which every parent receives. And where did I say I want more?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

gcgirl wrote: »
    The average age of a line parent is 37 so if your after cougars you might be in luck

Jesus, considerign how young some of them are I dont really want to think about the top end of the scale thats bringing the average up to 37.

• Advertisement

I can just smell the begrudgery seeping through your pores, it's not very becoming.
    I'll be sure to give you a spin when I get it. I just hope it has a Parrot kit for my Iphone4, I don't need to be racking up any penalty points or fines, I'd never be able to afford my Dutch Gold and John Players then :eek:

Icepick wrote: »
    OK, but why should the state then have any obligation towards you (or your child)?

Because otherwise you, and your child, will have very little chance of survival, and the state may not wish to appear that primitive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

gcgirl wrote: »
    The average age of a line parent is 37 so if your after cougars you might be in luck

Jesus, considerign how young some of them are I dont really want to think about the top end of the scale thats bringing the average up to 37.
    You do realise not every thing in the daily fail is true :(

Any statistics available for the average IQ because considering how...

sigh never mind but I sure it brings the average way down

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Babybuff

ok..lets see. I receive 190 lpa, I earn 162 (after tax) thats 352? pw. Rent is 30, food, 60-80, ) not including lunch money for daughter or niggly bits that are picked up during the week, like milk and bread. I haven't been able to afford oil these last two years so have used coal but as the fire has bad downdraft it's not usable 50% of the time, we use electric heaters on cold nights but mostly just wrap up well. This year the house has been suffering dampness as it hasn't been heated for two years an requires repairs so my daughter (18) has move into my mothers as her house is heated and I pay 50pw toward rent and food there for her.
    My bills are electric-180 every 2 months
    UPC (tv+net) 72 pm
    CC- 36pm

I don't drive, couldn't afford to run a car and pool with two others for work, costs 30 pw for journeys in and out (10k trip e/w)

I know these are just regular outgoings, on top of these things are probably what are considered "luxury purchases" like birthday's and Christmas goods, clothing, and social expenses (an 18 year old costs more money as it's necessary to provide access to social events like going to cinema and clubs, she doesn't drink)

We have never had a holiday, it's an expense we cannot afford. her school books last year cost 400 alone, and that didn't include uniform, footwear or other school related items. So she didn't get a new uniform. This year I have the expenses of CAO applications to contend with, school and club insurances and school outings to pay for (which cost me 40 euro last week alone). There was also the travelling to and costs associated with attending college open days last month.
    I have about 20 euro left in my pocket at the end of the week, if I'm lucky.

I honestly think anyone suggesting it's an comfortable life on lpa is crazy.

(I don't receive maintenance and tbh if I didn't have childrens allowance once a month my bills would go unpaid)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭steve9859

€251 of what I get is welfare, the rest is maintenance and child benefit, which every parent receives. And where did I say I want more?

I haven't read the whole thread but I thought that's what this whole thing was about!!!

Babybuff wrote: »
    ok..lets see. I receive 190 lpa, I earn 162 (after tax) thats 352? pw. Rent is 30, food, 60-80, ) not including lunch money for daughter or niggly bits that are picked up during the week, like milk and bread. I haven't been able to afford oil these last two years so have used coal but as the fire has bad downdraft it's not usable 50% of the time, we use electric heaters on cold nights but mostly just wrap up well. This year the house has been suffering dampness as it hasn't been heated for two years an requires repairs so my daughter (18) has move into my mothers as her house is heated and I pay 50pw toward rent and food there for her.
    UPC (tv+net) 72 pm
    CC- 36pm

I don't drive, couldn't afford to run a car and pool with two others for work, costs 30 pw for journeys in and out (10k trip e/w)

I know these are just regular outgoings, on top of these things are probably what are considered "luxury purchases" like birthday's and Christmas goods, clothing, and social expenses (an 18 year old costs more money as it's necessary to provide access to social events like going to cinema and clubs, she doesn't drink)

We have never had a holiday, it's an expense we cannot afford. her school books last year cost 400 alone, and that didn't include uniform, footwear or other school related items. So she didn't get a new uniform. This year I have the expenses of CAO applications to contend with, school and club insurances and school outings to pay for (which cost me 40 euro last week alone). There was also the travelling to and costs associated with attending college open days last month.

(I don't receive maintenance and tbh if I didn't have childrens allowance once a month my bills would go unpaid)

I honestly have no idea how you are keeping your electric bills so low, mine, with calor gas, used be twice that.

I honestly have no idea how you are keeping your electric bills so low, mine, with calor gas, used be twice that.
    last year after winter I received a 500 euro bill. I'm afraid of what it will be after the winter but I' trying not to think about it. We're cold most of the time.

last year after winter I received a 500 euro bill. I'm afraid of what it will be after the winter but I' trying not to think about it. We're cold most of the time.

Oh no...be careful...I had a €500 bill once too, even the ESB thought it was a mistake, but it wasn't. :(

See? THIS is the reality all of you want to pillory! :mad:

UPC (tv+net) 72 pm
    CC- 36pm

€352 +children's allowance (€30)=€382
    Rent=€30

€352 to spend after rent is paid / week

• Advertisement

€352 +children's allowance (€30)=€382
    Rent=€30

€352 to spend after rent is paid / week
    what? did you add up the expenses? have you subtracted the outgoings? Did you not read the part about going cold because we can't afford heat?
    Actually have you any idea, even the faintest notion of how much it costs to provide for a child? Do you have children?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭sophia25

steve9859 wrote: »
    I haven't read the whole thread but I thought that's what this whole thing was about!!!
    No it's about barriers to working and training that stops lone parents moving from welfare to work. The only people these changes won't affect are people who were not working. Over 60% of lone parents work outside the home and receive reduced OPFA. These changes will force a lot of parents back into the home and increase the sw bill. But ...... as long as the Daily Fail readers are satisfied and some blood is shed, who cares. Statistically the poorest people in Ireland are lone parents and their children, not the disabled, elderly or unemployed. At the end of the day, reproduction is a social necessity and therefore the cost of care for nurturing our young should be borne by society as a whole, these children will be paying your pension or nursing you in your dotage. Surely any one who believes in justice must think that every child deserves an equal shot at life, regardless of parental abandonment or not. If lone parenting is anything like it is portrayed by junk media, why are rates of poverty highest here? Someone asked why our cause deserved support, well surely the fact that children are suffering in the poorest households is reason enough.

what? did you add up the expenses? have you subtracted the outgoings? Did you not read the part about going cold because we can't afford heat?
    Actually have you any idea, even the faintest notion of how much it costs to provide for a child? Do you have children?

Do you have any idea how much you would have to be earning in a full time job to have this much disposable income after tax and rent is paid?

should add I don't have a medical card either as the last time I applied I was told I was earning something like 5 euro over the limit.

Do you have any idea how much you would have to be earning in a full time job to have this much disposable income after tax and rent is paid?
    Do you have any full time jobs going?
    I have a diploma in social care and worked full time for dept of ed for three years until sna positions were cutback. Up until that point you were only employed for the duration of the child's stay at any particular case and when my charge finished his time there my employment was terminated.

[edit: I've also just secured a loan of 450 to go back and do a full time course in sept and hope to be working part time while I'm doing it]

Can you explain why lone parents consistently have the highest rates of poverty? Do you think, considering over 60% are working why this is so?

Do you have any full time jobs going?
    I have a diploma in social care and worked full time for dept of ed for three years until sna positions were cutback. Up until that point you were only employed for the duration of the child's stay at any particular case and when my charge finished his time there my employment was terminated.

Maybe if your ex partner was forced to contribute to raising his child instead of having it funded by the state, the state would have more money to employ SNA's?

Maybe if your ex partner was forced to contribute to raising his child instead of having it funded by the state, the state would have more money to employ SNA's?

well how lovely of you to suggest it. Maybe you would like to go and find him and ask him to do that. Last I heard he was living on the east coast of America with his wife. And according to him I don't need his money as "the state will take care of us". (he also spent 7 years telling his wife he was paying maintenance for a child back in Ireland that was being payed out weekly via his bank account.)

sophia25 wrote: »
    Can you explain why lone parents consistently have the highest rates of poverty? Do you think, considering over 60% are working why this is so?

depends on what the definition of poverty is

being able to afford a €10, 000 car =not poverty
    €321/ week after rent is paid =not poverty

The issue is not lack of money but bad budgeting and priorities not in the correct order

• Advertisement

The issue is not lack of money but bad budgeting and priorities not in the correct order
    I'm guessing you're about 16 and live at home with your mother.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭alphanine

Well as AH are great at stereotyping single parents, perhaps they want to see the website & facebook page they have set up for their protest on Feb 18th . They have done a submission to advisory board in dept. of protection, mission statement etc. Does that shatter any preconceived notions or do people not want to understand the issues?

http://sparkcampaign.com/

https://www.facebook.com/irishsingleparentsfightback

All welcome to join in!:)

I'm bringing a placard "If in doubt, pull out!"

Dept. of Protection, oh the irony.....

UPC (tv+net) 72 pm
    CC- 36pm

I don't understand your child is 18 why can't you work full time and if it's because you can't find a full time job then how are you going to survive next year when you cant claim lpa allowance and won't have child benefit

samina wrote: »
    I don't understand your child is 18 why can't you work full time and if it's because you can't find a full time job then how are you going to survive next year when you cant claim lpa allowance and won't have child benefit
    I can't find a full time job, I have applied to do a full time course next year. It's all I can do really.(edit if it comes to it I will have to give up part time work as I will receive more on JSA)

The definition of poverty as seen by OECD, CSO , EU-SILC reports. Ecnomically defined calculations taking necessary outgoings ie cost of child, from what you claim to be disposable income. However facts take away from the comfort of assuming that lone parents are ripping off the state and that their children are well looked after. Facts have an awful habit of destroying media informed stereotypes.

Maybe she will not find a way to survive...you'll enjoy that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

It's an acknowledgment and contribution towards high childcare costs. You a
    have a partner? So childcare costs aren't as big an issue.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

The definition of poverty as seen by OECD, CSO , EU-SILC reports. Ecnomically defined calculations taking necessary outgoings ie cost of child, from what you claim to be disposable income. However facts take away from the comfort of assuming that lone parents are ripping off the state and that their children are well looked after. Facts have an awful habit of destroying media informed stereotypes.

link to figures?

What facts have been presented here destroy media informed stereotypes, only facts I see here prove it to be true?

K-9 wrote: »
    It's an acknowledgment and contribution towards high childcare costs. You a
    have a partner? So childcare costs aren't as big an issue.

her daughter is 18 not sure she needs much childcare

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭Oddjob

UPC (tv+net) 72 pm
    CC- 36pm

You're paying €72 a month for your TV? **** me, I have a job and I wouldn't pay anywhere near that

I can't find a full time job, I have applied to do a full time course next year. It's all I can do really.(edit if it comes to it I will have to give up part time work as I will receive more on JSA)

The system is rubbish and it's people like you who suffer because of people taking benefits they don't need just because they can.

I sincerely wish you the best :)

• Advertisement

Maybe she will not find a way to survive...you'll enjoy that.

Why would I enjoy that?

Oddjob wrote: »
    You're paying €72 a month for your TV? **** me, I have a job and I wouldn't pay anywhere near that
    internet + tv. +vat=72..yep (if anyone can recommend cheaper please share)

My circumstances differ greatly from many other single parents. As I said already that I am in a very lucky position that I do receive maintenance. Though it was fought for. Many custodial parents do not. Who knows when I may lose it?

internet + tv. +vat=72..yep (if anyone can recommend cheaper please share)

soarview - 1 off payment of €100 approx
    mobile broadband from vodafone/o2 €20/month

internet + tv. +vat=72..yep

And you think that's a valid bill? €72 a month for your tv and broadband, paid for by taxpayers, and you think that's ok? :eek:

Jesus christ, this country is ****ed when people moan about the cost of childcare and pay €72 a month for their TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

:rolleyes:

This thread has become a joke. Of the 5/6 people posting here, one has 10,000 to spend on a car, one acknowledges that they are going to quit work to get more on the dole, most likely following on advice from advice from someone who quit a 40k job to go on welfare. 72 quid for internet and TV? Pathetic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

token101 wrote: »

:rolleyes:

This thread has become a joke. Of the 5/6 people posting here, one has 10,000 to spend on a car, one acknowledges that they are going to quit work to get more on the dole, most likely following on advice from advice from someone who quit a 40k job to go on welfare. 72 quid for internet and TV? Pathetic.
    I hope it keeps you awake thinking of all that tax money you've wasted actually do you even live in this country

My circumstances differ greatly from many other single parents. As I said already that I am in a very lucky position that I do receive maintenance. Though it was fought for. Many custodial parents do not. Who knows when I may lose it?

**** me, and here's one blowing €10k on a car. Though as long as you fought for it, then best of luck on the gravy train.

Are you people that deluded? I know most have never worked a day in your lives but come on?

link to figures?

What facts have been presented here destroy media informed stereotypes, only facts I see here prove it to be true?

http://www.cpa.ie/povertyinireland/whoispoor.html

Who is poor in Ireland today?

According to the most recent poverty figures, 14.1% of the Irish population are at risk of poverty and 5.5% experience consistent poverty. However, some social groups have higher poverty rates than the rest of the population: lone parent families, the unemployed, and people with disabilities or long-term illnesses. Older people have a lower rate of both risk of poverty and consistent poverty.

This table shows how these groups compare with the population as a whole:

At Risk of Poverty Consistent Poverty
    Total Population 14.1% 5.5%
    Lone Parents 35.5 % 16.6%
    Unemployed People 24.8% 11.5%
    Ill or Disabled People 21.7% 8.8%
    Children (0-17) 18.6 8.7%
    Older People (65-74) 8.9% 1.3%
    Older People (75+) 10.6% 0.9%

More Information

For more information on how particular social groups are affected by poverty, see our child poverty, lone parents and homelessness pages.

More detailed information on the results of EU-SILC 2009 is available in the EU-SILC section of the CSO website.

That was prior to Budget 12 where there is no doubt these figures will increase drastically. We can argue the toss but the facts show innocent children are growing up in poverty, and if you think that is ok, well really, I will never get through to you.

http://www.cpa.ie/povertyinireland/whoispoor.html

Who is poor in Ireland today?

According to the most recent poverty figures, 14.1% of the Irish population are at risk of poverty and 5.5% experience consistent poverty. However, some social groups have higher poverty rates than the rest of the population: lone parent families, the unemployed, and people with disabilities or long-term illnesses. Older people have a lower rate of both risk of poverty and consistent poverty.

This table shows how these groups compare with the population as a whole:

At Risk of Poverty Consistent Poverty
    Total Population 14.1% 5.5%
    Lone Parents 35.5 16.6%
    Unemployed People 24.8% 11.5%
    Ill or Disabled People 21.7% 8.8%
    Children (0-17) 18.6 8.7%
    Older People (65-74) 8.9% 1.3%
    Older People (75+) 10.6% 0.9%

More Information

For more information on how particular social groups are affected by poverty, see our child poverty, lone parents and homelessness pages.

More detailed information on the results of EU-SILC 2009 is available in the EU-SILC section of the CSO website.

That was prior to Budget 12 where there is no doubt these figures will increase drastically. We can argue the toss but the facts show innocent children are growing up in poverty, and if you think that is ok, well really, I will never get through to you.

From this thread, more kids are in danger from being dropped to school in a 4 year old car and only having 132 channels on the the 42" when they get home.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement