Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Single Parents Protest!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Babybuff

Oddjob wrote: »
    And you think that's a valid bill? €72 a month for your tv and broadband, paid for by taxpayers, and you think that's ok? :eek:

Jesus christ, this country is ****ed when people moan about the cost of childcare and pay €72 a month for their TV.
    ??
    I work. Which half of my income is tax payers and which half is mine earned by me? My daughter is looking to study computer related industry an internet is a neccessary tool in our home. I'm not sure what you would suggest or what the alternatives are. Basic tv is 30ish euro a month back in the day and internet 19.99, once you add vat it brings it up to near enough what I'm paying.

You are not paying for my lifestyle. I also pay tax too.

just want to put something in context. My colleague works 3 days a week in the same job. He signs for three days and gets 12 hours for the three he works here. He gets 120 from sw and 110ish from work. Just a little bit more than he would get if he were completely unemployed but as it's worth more to him than just the financial, it keeps him sane he believes it's worth it. He lives at home with his mother and hands over fifty euro a week. This is his only outgoing. It covers his food his rent and bills which leaves him with 160 euro to do whatever he wants.
    He has no kids, no mortgage/rent, no bills and there is no outcry about how he is able to do this. No one asks him why he doesn't get up off his arse and look for a full time job as most people understand there just aren't any. In fact he would get a pat on the back for even making the attempt to do something rather than nothing.
    The only difference really is that he doesn't have anyone to support. There is an ocean between the way he is considered in society, poor fella doing the best he can with what's available versus single mother ripping off the state.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Ms. Pingui

token101 wrote: »
    :rolleyes:

This thread has become a joke. Of the 5/6 people posting here, one has 10,000 to spend on a car, one acknowledges that they are going to quit work to get more on the dole, most likely following on advice from advice from someone who quit a 40k job to go on welfare. 72 quid for internet and TV? Pathetic.

Some of the people posting here, such as myself don't have anything! The way things are I don't have much chance of being able to go to work and make a life for me and my child and there are plenty of people in the country like me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

micropig wrote: »
    her daughter is 18 not sure she needs much childcare

That individual case. In general they need the help, you don't as you've a wife or husband for free childcare.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭sophia25

From this thread, more kids are in danger from being dropped to school in a 4 year old car and only having 132 channels on the the 42" when they get home.

Harder to argue with when you have the cold hard independent facts?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

Babybuff wrote: »
    what? did you add up the expenses? have you subtracted the outgoings? Did you not read the part about going cold because we can't afford heat?
    Actually have you any idea, even the faintest notion of how much it costs to provide for a child? Do you have children?

You're cold, but you can spend 72 a month on Satellite Tv and Broadband? :pac: People who are 'cold' don't have satellite TV FFS!!!!! I hope when this protest gets any publicity someone shows the journalists this thread!! This is a joke!!!

:rolleyes:

This thread has become a joke. Of the 5/6 people posting here, one has 10,000 to spend on a car, one acknowledges that they are going to quit work to get more on the dole, most likely following on advice from advice from someone who quit a 40k job to go on welfare. 72 quid for internet and TV? Pathetic.
    what's pathetic is the poor attempts try and bastardize an element of society that is already suffering and no amount of explanation will ever suit your demands as you have no concept of the cost of living and the requirements of supporting a child.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

**** me, and here's one blowing €10k on a car. Though as long as you fought for it, then best of luck on the gravy train.

Are you people that deluded? I know most have never worked a day in your lives but come on?

My dear you know nothing about my life, or anyone elses. As for a gravy train, do you want to walk a mile in my shoes? Or any other single parent?

You're cold, but you can spend 72 a month on Satellite Tv and Broadband? :pac: People who are 'cold' don't have satellite TV FFS!!!!! I hope when this protest gets any publicity someone shows the journalists this thread!! This is a joke!!!
    I don't have satellite tv, I have upc digitial basic package in one room. How much do you pay for your tv? My daughter is studying tech, it's her area of expertise she relies on it to study and work on projects. It is a necessity in this generations age.
    I think you would be happy if we had nothing but food and water and a couple of jigsaws to keep us happy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

gcgirl wrote: »
    You do realise not every thing in the daily fail is true :(

I do, but the people I know personnally havnt been featured.:)

Anyhoo. Next time I make a light hearted jape I'll be sure to put a large smiley in there for the people who need things explained.

• Advertisement

sophia25 wrote: »
    http://www.cpa.ie/povertyinireland/whoispoor.html

Who is poor in Ireland today?

According to the most recent poverty figures, 14.1% of the Irish population are at risk of poverty and 5.5% experience consistent poverty. However, some social groups have higher poverty rates than the rest of the population: lone parent families, the unemployed, and people with disabilities or long-term illnesses. Older people have a lower rate of both risk of poverty and consistent poverty.

This table shows how these groups compare with the population as a whole:

At Risk of Poverty Consistent Poverty
    Total Population 14.1% 5.5%
    Lone Parents 35.5 % 16.6%
    Unemployed People 24.8% 11.5%
    Ill or Disabled People 21.7% 8.8%
    Children (0-17) 18.6 8.7%
    Older People (65-74) 8.9% 1.3%
    Older People (75+) 10.6% 0.9%

More Information

For more information on how particular social groups are affected by poverty, see our child poverty, lone parents and homelessness pages.

More detailed information on the results of EU-SILC 2009 is available in the EU-SILC section of the CSO website.

That was prior to Budget 12 where there is no doubt these figures will increase drastically. We can argue the toss but the facts show innocent children are growing up in poverty, and if you think that is ok, well really, I will never get through to you.

You keep throwing around all these figures. I'm sure these figures apply to some but you say quit a 40k a year job. Out of interest, what salary would tempt you back to the workplace? Spending 72 quid a month on internet, 10k on cars is not poverty. You are not part of this 5%. Don't insult people with this. You can quote statistics all you want. The figures you all have given have proved what a farce our welfare system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭Oddjob

My dear you know nothing about my life, or anyone elses. As for a gravy train, do you want to walk a mile in my shoes? Or any other single parent?

I wouldn't walk a mile in your shoes, but I'll test drive a mile in your new €10k car.

I work for a living, always have and I can't afford €10k for a car or €72 a month for TV, that makes me the silly **** for supporting you lot.

Amazing how that although 60% of lone parents work they are over 40% more likely to be living in poverty than the nearest group i.e the unemployed and many times more likely to be poor than the disabled or elderly, but apparently these children aren't worthy of help. We are the unworthy group..... does this ring a bell??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,722 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Whats wrong with rte 1,2,tv3 and TnaG? Its all I can afford at the moment and its a bit annoying that people are getting so much from welfare payments to be able to get more. Gonna have to fork out for a saorview box at some stage but at least ill have e4 or something or other then too.

From this thread, more kids are in danger from being dropped to school in a 4 year old car and only having 132 channels on the the 42" when they get home.
    you're sick and twisted.

gcgirl wrote: »
    I hope it keeps you awake thinking of all that tax money you've wasted actually do you even live in this country

I do. And I live around plenty of hard luck families who need a break, but plenty of dole leeches also. People who can spend 10k on a car and afford 72 euro a month are not hard luck stories.

• Advertisement

Balmed Out wrote: »
    Whats wrong with rte 1,2,tv3 and TnaG? Its all I can afford at the moment and its a bit annoying that people are getting so much from welfare payments to be able to get more. Gonna have to fork out for a saorview box at some stage but at least ill have e4 or something or other then too.
    really. Thats lovely, you do know you will no longer have those after October?
    Do you have children?

Amazing how that although 60% of lone parents work they are over 40% more likely to be living in poverty than the nearest group i.e the unemployed and many times more likely to be poor than the disabled or elderly, but apparently these children aren't worthy of help. We are the unworthy group..... does this ring a bell??

Apparently they're pissing away their cash on cars and Satellite channels.

I do. And I live around plenty of hard luck families who need a break, but plenty of dole leeches also. People who can spend 10k on a car and afford 72 euro a month are not hard luck stories.
    Tell us what you earn and how much your outgoings are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭westendgirlie

Babybuff, to take home 192 net wages the only deduction would be USC of a couple of quid. At that net figure you wouldn't be paying tax or prsi. Why haven't you applied for FIS?

Bad news too. If your daughter is 18 you won't be getting child benefit from June even if she goes to college.

you're sick and twisted.

Maybe, but I'm paying for your, and your kid's arses. I'm feeding your family because you can't afford to.

And I'm sick and twisted?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭aare

Whats wrong with rte 1,2,tv3 and TnaG?

Is that a real question?:confused:

Is this a joke? You never answered my question: How much money will it take for you to return to the work place? If 40k wasn't enough I can't see any job ever suiting you seeing as wages are dropping.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,366 ✭✭✭micropig

I got saorview at Christmas. I was delighted with getting all the fancy new channels.I.m in my 30's and never had SKY or any other satellite package:eek::eek::eek:

Apparently they're pissing away their cash on cars and Satellite channels.

Errr , no understanding of economic statistics then? Find it hard to deal with actual independent facts rather than making low personal attacks. It is unfair what is happening to children and we have the solid proof to back our claims, We will fight for our children. GOOD NIGHT.

Basic tv is 30ish euro a month back in the day , and once you add vat .

Wha? What are you classing as basic tv? Sky with entertainment extra (ie all the channels bar sports and movies ) is less than that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

Being the rebel he is he possible still has his communion money :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

Oh get over it. I said already, I am not part of the typical one parent family, at the moment, I could be at any time if my maintenance gets reduced or pulled completely. There are one parent families far, far worse off than me, but you chose to ignore that for the easy target.

Anyone can become a single parent family at any time. You and everyone else are an affair, or a spousal death away from being a single parent. We aren't all the stereotypical pyjama wearing leeches like you would like to believe we are

Do you have children?

I do obviously know. Thats why I have to buy a saorview box........

I dont have children. Having more basic needs to spend money on then satelite tv as it is I hardly see that changing when we decide to have children.

Anyone can become a single parent family at any time. You and everyone else are an affair, or a spousal death away from being a single parent. We aren't all the stereotypical pyjama wearing leeches like you would like to believe we are

Thats very true but it doesnt make it moraly right for people to use welfare payments for luxuries that many who dont recieve any welfare payments cant afford

on analogue, yes, but you have to pay for that every month. You can however get them in nice clear digital for €0 per month already by buy a saorview box.

• Advertisement

micropig wrote: »
    I got saorview at Christmas. I was delighted with getting all the fancy new channels.I.m in my 30's and never had SKY or any other satellite package:eek::eek::eek:

I have multiroom freesat from recycled sky bits...BIG DEAL!:D:D:D

Errr , no understanding of economic statistics then? Find it hard to deal with actual independent facts rather than making low personal attacks. It is unfair what is happening to children and we have the solid proof to back our claims, We will fight for our children. GOOD NIGHT.

So you'll fight for them, but not pay for them, or work for them?

Babybuff, to take home 192 net wages the only deduction would be USC of a couple of quid. At that net figure you wouldn't be paying tax or prsi. Why haven't you applied for FIS?

Bad news too. If your daughter is 18 you won't be getting child benefit from June even if she goes to college.
    I don't work 19 hours a week which is what you need to in order to claim fis, I pay usc and up until august of last year paid 7ish euro in tax. I'm still owed 106 euro in tax credits fro last year. I worked 3 hours more per week which have been reduced as the hours are no longer available but when they were I worked 18 hours a week.
    I'm well aware of how much I am entitled to when my daughter starts college. I'm also well informed of how much she is entitled to when she starts there too.

I'm just going to throw it out there that as a child fro a disadvantaged family she is entitled to almost 3000 euro in funding.

btw, you never forwarded your name and address to me despite publicly claiming you did.

on analogue, yes, but you have to pay for that every month. You can however get them in nice clear digital for €0 per month already by buy a saorview box.

Actually that depends entirely on where you live and what kind of aerial you are allowed to put up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭westendgirlie

<p>Sent my name in a pm to ya</p>

It wasn't sent but gone now

Is this a joke? You never answered my question: How much money will it take for you to return to the work place? If 40k wasn't enough I can't see any job ever suiting you seeing as wages are dropping.

I am back in work, albeit at a lower wage. Once I could get rid of €1100 crech costs I could work again. Had I got help for creche, I would have continued to work. Crazy situation that it is an all or nothing in this country. I would have saved the sw bill if I could have had childcare as tax deductible. It is this type of madness that needs to stop. A little bit of proper policy planning could reduce
    sw bill.

aare wrote: »
    Actually that depends entirely on where you live and what kind of aerial you are allowed to put up.

Assuming Ireland you should be fine http://www.saorview.ie/make-the-switch/coverage-checker/coverage-map/

Wha? What are you classing as basic tv? Sky with entertainment extra (ie all the channels bar sports and movies ) is less than that.
    less than that, just the basic package, no movies, no extra channels just the most basic pack.

Sent my name in a pm to ya
    still waiting but we both know I will never receive it.

• Advertisement

Take home pay= circa 1550 p/m
    Rent= 280 p/m
    Food= 120-150 p/m
    Bills (elec, internet, bins)= 60-70 p/m
    Transport= 90 p/m
    Going out, etc-120-160p/m
    Student loan payment-200p/m

Thats about it really. I save the rest. I live in a shared property with two other people. And I'm not frugal by any means. I could probably do it for less, particularly if I was earning less.

Oh get over it. I said already, I am not part of the typical one parent family, at the moment, I could be at any time if my maintenance gets reduced or pulled completely. There are one parent families far, far worse off than me, but you chose to ignore that for the easy target.

So to get this right, you spend a ****load on a car, then have the neck to bitch about the lack of welfare and I'm supposed to get over it? Are you f***ing serious?

Take home pay= circa 1550 p/m
    Rent= 280 p/m
    Food= 120-150 p/m
    Bills (elec, internet, bins)= 60-70 p/m
    Transport= 90 p/m
    Going out, etc-120-160p/m
    Student loan payment-200p/m

Thats about it really. I save the rest. I live in a shared property with two other people. And I'm not frugal by any means. I could probably do it for less, particularly if I was earning less.
    How much do you think it would cost extra for a teenage dependant.

So to get this right, you spend a ****load on a car, then have the neck to bitch about the lack of welfare and I'm supposed to get over it? Are you f***ing serious?

Anybody able to translate this? I think it's an obscure Yiddish dialect...but, on the other hand, it could be Welsh?:confused:

Anybody able to translate this? I think it's an obscure Yiddish dialect...but, on the other hand, it could be Welsh?:confused:

Here's a translation: Spending 10000 euro on a car when you are on welfare and then coming back to society and complaining about poverty is repugnant to any right thinking person.

Truth is there are the same two lads responding to this thread and it's obviously just a personal issue for them.

• Advertisement

Truth is there are the same two lads responding to this thread and it's obviously just a personal issue for them.

And they ignore independent statistics to rant and rave. Hard to argue with facts.......

<p>Sent my name in a pm to ya</p>

It wasn't sent but gone now
    nope, still not here. Don't worry about it,when your Gary comes back from the pub you can get him to do it for you.

Here's a translation: Spending 10000 euro on a car when you are on welfare and then coming back to society and complaining about poverty is repugnant to any right thinking person.

I'll get back to you on that after I find a right thinking person to consult.

How much do you think it would cost extra for a teenage dependant.

Well seeing as how I can survive singularly and very comfortably on 21000, I cant see a teenager costing me another 21000, or even half that. I think I'd have enough in 40k anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

She said shes not indicative of the large majority of single mother families. They are one of the lowest socio-economic groups that remains the fact. They need more help than most to get out of that grouping.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement