Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Single Parents Protest!

1151617181921»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

ch750536 wrote: »
    Agreed people who dont work dont receive any holiday entitlement from the employers.
    :D
    Well people that work part time don't get the same entitlements, and people who work full time don't get that number of days off!
    I wasn't asking you the question. I posed the question to somebody stating that a single parent they know won't be able to work until the kids are 15. I was wondering why?
    It's illegal to leave children on their own!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭ash23

ntlbell wrote: »
    maybe you should ask someone who you know decided not to have kids to pay taxes and pay for the luxry of you been able to go to work and have someone else mind your kids.

:rolleyes:

Yeah much like my taxes pay for all the people who bought houses and now can't pay for them, or all the developers who built them and can't sell them. Or all those pesky old people who get sick or retire. Or all those people who didn't have the good sense to get a job that would last the recession. Sigh. What a terrible thing it is to live in this country.
    *tongue firmly in cheek*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

smash wrote: »
    Well people that work part time don't get the same entitlements, and people who work full time don't get that number of days off!

what is your point?

if one can't afford to have kids, don't bloody well have them.

if it turns out you can't avoid that situation, well do everything in your power to make sure the rest of the public aren't paying for that mistake.

is this so hard to understand?

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭jomc

I wasn't asking you the question. I posed the question to somebody stating that a single parent they know won't be able to work until the kids are 15. I was wondering why?
    Sorry to hear you have no options though.

Again i will re quote myself and hope this time you read it.
    jomc wrote: »

Also as i said both have been educated to a high standard but won't be able to have a good job or career until their children are about 15 (again not being a parent i'm just guessing at what age can kids be left by themselves and be able to get around without their safety etc being compromised, sorry if its way off)..

exactly and most people don't work.

where's the problem?
    You said that the bank holidays added to annual leave would bring you to 7 weeks which covers the summer holidays.

I get 20 days and on bank holidays my daughter is at home so I can't "add" those days to the 20 days to cover the 8 weeks in summer and all the other holidays.......

ash23 wrote: »
    Yeah much like my taxes pay for all the people who bought houses and now can't pay for them, or all the developers who built them and can't sell them. Or all those pesky old people who get sick or retire. Or all those people who didn't have the good sense to get a job that would last the recession. Sigh. What a terrible thing it is to live in this country.
    *tongue firmly in cheek*

and OAP can't help getting sick. people can decide to have or not to have kids

I'm sure you and durex will understand the difference, right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

More of your personality shining out of the dark...
    Yeah much like my taxes pay for
    hmm
    all the people who bought houses and now can't pay for them,
    Too right. People paid stupid money. Their own fault, why should I pay.
    or all the developers who built them and can't sell them.
    Too right. Borrowed massive cash against no assets.
    Or all those pesky old people who get sick or retire.
    Too right. Why should... err, you what now?
    Or all those people who didn't have the good sense to get a job that would last the recession.
    You crazy fool.

*Please note not the entire post is showing and in no way should anything on the internet be taken seriously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

It's not being a good nor wise parent leaving kids to their own devices in a house on their own

Plus on tax are we not paying the secured/unsecured bond holders out of that

and OAP can't help getting sick. people can decide to have or not to have kids

I'm sure you and durex will understand the difference, right?

And I bring you back to the point that not every child of a single parent was an unplanned pregnancy.
    But of course it suits you to believe that they are because that suits the little box you put single parents in.

You said that the bank holidays added to annual leave would bring you to 7 weeks which covers the summer holidays.

I get 20 days and on bank holidays my daughter is at home so I can't "add" those days to the 20 days to cover the 8 weeks in summer and all the other holidays.......

I just totaling up the whole holidays when you add it togethter is a lot

so you only have to pay for childcare in the times where they're off when you take all things into consideration if your not blowing your money on nonsense each week. this even in the lowest paid jobs should be doable. if it's not well maybe you should seek advice from someone more capable with a budget

• Advertisement

hmm

You crazy fool.

Fail. Trying to re quote someone else to eliminate where it was clearly stated TONGUE IN CHEEK! Its one thing to not be able to logically support your own argument. Its another thing to re edit someone else posts to try to change their meaning.

hmm

You crazy fool.

lol, I note you didn't quote the last line where I stated it was a tongue in cheek post :rolleyes:

Again i will re quote myself and hope this time you read it.
    Thanks for that. Seems you missed my question so I'll restate it.

Are the kids not in school then?

Ta.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

micropig wrote: »
    :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
    libraries

Yeah, they are planning to close a bunch of them.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Fail. Trying to re quote someone else to eliminate where it was clearly stated TONGUE IN CHEEK! Its one thing to not be able to logically support your own argument. Its another thing to re edit someone else posts to try to change their meaning.

Fail, you're spoiling the internets

And I bring you back to the point that not every child of a single parent was an unplanned pregnancy.
    But of course it suits you to believe that they are because that suits the little box you put single parents in.

Well during the planning maybe more thought should have went into the financial upbringing of the child?

people can decide to have or not to have kids

Your statements do not take into consideration the variables of the situations so you're spouting rubbish.
    so you only have to pay for childcare in the times where they're off when you take all things into consideration if your not blowing your money on nonsense each week. this even in the lowest paid jobs should be doable. if it's not well maybe you should seek advice from someone more capable with a budget

Rubbish. Part time childcare is around €500 a month min. This on top of food for 2, bills and rent/mortgage is very very difficult for a lot of people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,366 ✭✭✭micropig

K-9 wrote: »
    Yeah, they are planning to close a bunch of them.

Because nobodies using them ;)

Your statements do not take into consideration the variables of the situations so you're spouting rubbish.

Rubbish. Part time childcare is around €500 a month min. This on top of food for 2, bills and rent/mortgage is very very difficult for a lot of people.

If there's two you don't need any child care as both have enough PTO.

If it's one, you're short roughly one month child care.

I'm sure you can put an advert in the local shop. Or in a college where a student might be able to mind them during this period they're off

if you want to find an excuse to sit on your arse you will find one.

• Advertisement

lol, I note you didn't quote the last line where I stated it was a tongue in cheek post :rolleyes:

Ninja-edit (well, not quite)

So, as payback...

I ch750536 hope all children & fluffy animals die a horrible death.

I don't really, just joking.

I just totaling up the whole holidays when you add it togethter is a lot

Let me break it down for you.

September through to June I pay €100 roughly per week childcare while I work.I pay more when she has a full day off. It used to be much higher before she started school. Initially I paid 220 per week full time and then 180. She is off for a few days over mid term October, almost 3 weeks for christmas, 2 days in Feb for mid term, 2 weeks in April for Easter and 8 weeks in summer.
    Total of approx 93 days. Less weekends during summer and xmas and easter so approx 73 days a year she is off school and I am working (not including bank holidays, half days, parent teacher meetings, snow days, sick days for her and teacher training days). I get 20 days holidays a year.

I need childcare in the mornings as I start at 8am and in the evenings as I don't finish until after 5pm.

I don't need help budgeting but you might need some help adding. :rolleyes:

Thanks for that. Seems you missed my question so I'll restate it.

Are the kids not in school then?

Ta.

One child is too young for school. The other is in school from 9.30-1.30 i think. If the mother works 9-5 they have to leave their own home (not taking into account time getting child to minders) at 8, to be there for 9. When they finish they get home usually by about 6.30 i think. So regardless of school childcare still has to be organised and paid for...unless you can dump your kids on other people free of charge ;)

But as they work in retail they can be working up to 9.30 in the evenings, plus weekends. Not every job is mon-fri or 9-5, not everybody lives right next door to the school or to their workplace

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

I'm sure you can put an advert in the local shop. Or in a college where a student might be able to mind them during this period they're off

if you want to find an excuse to sit on your arse you will find one.
    They even if their students or not will more than likely want € 10 an hour

Well during the planning maybe more thought should have went into the financial upbringing of the child?

Oh I didn't plan my child. And I don't get welfare.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭aare

Ninja-edit (well, not quite)

So, as payback...

I ch750536 hope all children & fluffy animals die a horrible death.
    I don't really, just joking.

He is not you know, not REALLY...;)

• Advertisement

Food for 2. As in the parent and the child :rolleyes:
    Good plan, leave your kid with someone you don't know, who isn't qualified... Oh, and you still have to pay them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

Is it bad that I want his condom to split? :pac:

That would be a proper smack of the reality fish to the face.

Let me break it down for you.

September through to June I pay €100 roughly per week childcare while I work.I pay more when she has a full day off. It used to be much higher before she started school. Initially I paid 220 per week full time and then 180. She is off for a few days over mid term October, almost 3 weeks for christmas, 2 days in Feb for mid term, 2 weeks in April for Easter and 8 weeks in summer.
    Total of approx 93 days. Less weekends during summer and xmas and easter so approx 73 days a year she is off school and I am working (not including bank holidays, half days, parent teacher meetings, snow days, sick days for her and teacher training days). I get 20 days holidays a year.

I need childcare in the mornings as I start at 8am and in the evenings as I don't finish until after 5pm.

I don't need help budgeting but you might need some help adding. :rolleyes:

your not off over xmas?

maybe you should look for a job that suits your and your childs hours untill they can manage to look after themselves?

Ninja-edit

Nope, no edit. You just are crap at speed reading ;)

Abi wrote: »

Resulting in triplets!

your not off over xmas?

maybe you should look for a job that suits your and your childs hours untill they can manage to look after themselves?
    you know that Christmas holidays come out of your annual leave don't you!

• Advertisement

One child is too young for school. The other is in school from 9.30-1.30 i think. If the mother works 9-5 they have to leave their own home (not taking into account time getting child to minders) at 8, to be there for 9. When they finish they get home usually by about 6.30 i think. So regardless of school childcare still has to be organised and paid for...unless you can dump your kids on other people free of charge ;)

But as they work in retail they can be working up to 9.30 in the evenings, plus weekends. Not every job is mon-fri or 9-5, not everybody lives right next door to the school or to their workplace

Kid is not in school, fair answer.

Food for 2. As in the parent and the child :rolleyes:

Food for two? I'm talking about two working adults.
    Good plan, leave your kid with someone you don't know, who isn't qualified... Oh, and you still have to pay them!

I'm sure a DCU student studying child care is more capable than most of the vetac idiots working in a lot of the creche's

but you can always, you know, choose not to have kids. or make sure your financially secure before having them.

Ah sure why bother? someone you don't know will pay for them to go to someone apparently qualified eh?

your not off over xmas?

Not sure if you watch the news, but theres a huge shortage of jobs full stop, never mind being picky and choosy over what you can manage to find!

Nope, no edit. You just are crap at speed reading ;)

No I ninja-edited.

Not sure if you watch the news, but theres a huge shortage of jobs full stop, never mind being picky and choosy over what you can manage to find!

apparently there is. but in a thread full of people who couldn't find work i offered to have them a job in 4 weeks if they would take any job up to minium wage

how many offers did i get?

your not off over xmas?

Ah lovely. See with someone like you, we can never do enough. I work over xmas and I'm criticised lol.

Why would I look for another job so that you can be right about your posts?? :D

I manage fine, I was just pointing out that your "one month a year" childcare assumption is bull**** even for those of us working monday to friday.

Resulting in triplets!

you know that Christmas holidays come out of your annual leave don't you!

Mine don't

If something isn't open, how can you work?

Abi wrote: »

That would be a proper smack of the reality fish to the face.

People don't need to use condoms with their hands ;)

Food for two? I'm talking about two working adults.
    Why? we're talking about single parents!
    I'm sure a DCU student studying child care is more capable than most of the vetac idiots working in a lot of the creche's
    I'm pretty sure that over 99% of the population live nowhere near DCU.
    but you can always, you know, choose not to have kids. or make sure your financially secure before having them.
    You could. Then you could lose your job or your relationship could breakdown.
    Ah sure why bother? someone you don't know will pay for them to go to someone apparently qualified eh?
    I have no idea what that even means to be honest.
    Step into the real world for a minute. Most companies tell you at the start of the year how many holidays you need to hold for the christmas closures. And while maybe 3 days are bank holidays, the other week and a half the school is closed, you need childcare.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

micropig wrote: »
    Because nobodies using them ;)

Nah, usage figures are doing well AFAIK, it's just budgeting, the stuff you are going on about.
    your not off over xmas?

The ntlbell handy tips segment. Should be part of all welfare threads, stickied for child benefit and single parent ones.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement

Mine don't

Most places are open. What a lovely cushy job you have, closed for 3 weeks at christmas. Lucky you!

Ah lovely. See with someone like you, we can never do enough. I work over xmas and I'm criticised lol.

Why would I look for another job so that you can be right about your posts?? :D

I manage fine, I was just pointing out that your "one month a year" childcare assumption is bull**** even for those of us working monday to friday.

I'm not whining about looking for someone to pay for my minding my kids.

I'm not criticising you, if people want to find an excuse for every single solution mentioned they'll find one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭aare

:eek::confused::eek::confused::eek:

Many people did...but sh*t happens.

K-9 wrote: »
    Nah, usage figures are doing well AFAIK, it's just budgeting, the stuff you are going on about.

The ntlbell handy tips segment. Should be part of all welfare threads, stickied for child benefit and single parent ones.

ah the it's k9 i have f*ck all useful to contribute but i'll come in anyway because no one's paying me attention at home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Mod

Ok, take a breather for a couple of hours.

Been plenty of warnings on thread. If you are in breach of them, you have time to amend your words.

After a thread review, infracts/bans may be forth coming.

Will reopen later

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

I've read over it and to be honest it isn't pretty.

There are at least 5 posters that could be banned for outright flaming. so in light of this I think it's best we keep this closed, say nothing and move on.

If you have a good enough reason to want it reopened, PM me.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement