Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Single Parents Protest!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,366 ✭✭✭micropig

sophia25 wrote: »
    The issues are there for everyone but magnified for people parenting alone. In two parent families there are options, when you are the sole carer and provider, there are barriers. School is open 166 days a year and at 7, they have still 5 hours of care even on a school day. It is hard to find a job that will pay childcare on one salary. In 2 parent families they either have two wages to pay childcare or one wage without childcare expenses. This is the reality and this is the reason why single parent families have higher levels of poverty than any other sector. Our children are suffering more than pensioners, or disabled people. we want to reverse this but we need additional support to carry out the dual function we have found ourselves in.

On this point I agree school hours should be extended to include July and after school clubs provided by the teachers for 1/2 hours after school

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭aare

Micropig I was ready to kill you (for the formatting :mad:) until I saw this:

Second solution free baseball bats to lone parents who are not being paid maintenance
    Even if it didn't work, it could be a lot of fun trying - as long as they come with immunity from prosecution

I know teenagers but attitudes need to change. It's not that long ago I was in school and have worked in schools abroad and it is normal and a sign your carer cared enough about you to prepare a nutritious meal.
    I think you will find that only happened in TV ads for brocolli, not real life

Yes and I think that they deserve more credit than people give them. I think that they can understand why they can't have x,y or z if they are told that there parent is not in a position to afford these luxuries as heat, rent, food etc are more important.
    Ah c'mon, ADMIT it...you have never met a real child...you are fooling no-one only yourself here ;)

Landlords need a good kick up the a** also. They can not expect renters to cover their mortgage. If they do they cannot afford a second house. Rents need to drop further. This is a way of forcing that. Unfortunatley many vulnerable preople will be caught up as this situtation adjusts but it will be better long term
    It would probably be *better* in the long term if we exterminated 500,000 people - but the...er..."short term difficulties" might prove insurmountable?

micropig wrote: »
    Absolutely, the child care issue is one that could be solved for everybody if the goverment do what they should be doing - providing free/very cheap childcare. I think money should be put towards establishing and running such places instead of giving it to a select group. So while I agree on the problem I would try and solve it in a different way

of course we all know there is no money:(

Ok, you kept the formatting in the sane range so I have no, deep seated, ethical objection to "liking" this...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 254 ✭✭HAMMERCURRENT

To help people understand more the situation of a single parent, I will give my story.

I had a relationship with a man, became pregnant, man did not want involvement with the child. I made the decision to have the baby and raise it alone. He refused to pay maintenance, so I had no choice but to bring him to court in order to rectify that. It took a year. I never got a penny for that first year. Also I was not aware that I would have been entitled to Legal Aid so I paid privately for a solicitor. I had no other choice.

Roll on, a few years later, I met a man, married him, became pregnant and this was when he showed his true colours. I left my marriage, with my child and baby in my belly. I left the house. He refused to leave and let me to take over the mortgage. Also had to bring him to court for maintenance. What galled me about both these men that I had loved (!) was that they were willing to pay hundreds to a solicitor to defend them in having to pay for a child that they willingly agreed to have.

So now, I am in third level education, receiving €267pw, (€20 of which is paid towards heating). I am living in a rural area where rent is fairly reasonable, I pay €95pw for my house. I do not get Rent Allowance. But living in this area has me travelling 25 miles one way to college, so a decent, reliable car is a necessary luxury.

Baby daddy number one is a direct debit, nothing more. He has refused any involvement with his child, so I have no practical help from him or his family in terms of babysitting. Baby daddy number two has involvement, but he works Mon-Fri so I cannot depend on him for babysitting. Also he is not from this country so has no family here. So no help there either.

So out of that €267pw payment I have to pay €95pw rent, €60 car loan, €80 petrol (I am hoping to trade in to get a diesel car soon), I pay childcare and playschool fees. I am very very lucky that I receive €155 maintenance pw from my childrens fathers. But I cannot depend on it. Which is why I am trying to educate myself so that I can provide for my children myself. Many other single parents get nothing from the absent parent, and this is wrong, wrong, wrong. The courts system needs to get themselves in gear to chase after these people (men and women) before SW cut from the lone parent.

And for those who begrudge and look down on single parents just remember; for every single mother, there is a single father - whether they want to stand up and take responsibility or not.

You made 2 bad choices! suck it up! and don't repeat the same mistake a 3rd time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

I notice all the alone parents on this thread are women, I also notice all the people who the current proposals of loan parents allowance are blokes.

You made 2 bad choices! suck it up! and don't repeat the same mistake a 3rd time.

Excellent advice, that I am sure she has already realised that for herself, meanwhile she still has two beautiful, innocent children to raise and seems to be doing a far better job than I would ever be able to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

After those last few quotes, you come up with that? ;) Sunday morning and all that, I suppose.

I understand savings have to be made in the SW budget and some of these changes are well sign posted in advance.

Some of the savings should be aimed at simple measures. One off the top of my head is the amount of people who have childcare qualifications and on the dole or on Lone Parents, a bit of co-ordination and support there, a huge resource at the Government's fingertips. Many are doing it themselves but there should be a co-ordinated policy there and it wouldn't cost a fortune, a small part of the savings here.

I see it as a continuation of policy from FF, rather than give help to people actually using childcare, they gave it to everybody, even 1 income families. Deciding for 1 parent to stay at home and mind children is an individual choice, far more than being a single parent, but get the outcry over challenging payments to them! ;)

I do see a bit of Daily Mail spin at these cuts at Single Parents. Other payments left unchanged but the DM readers get to see hits at Single Parents. Labour maybe even seen it as an affordable hit to take, so as to keep other payments untouched.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

44leto wrote: »
    I notice all the alone parents on this thread are women, I also notice all the people who the current proposals of loan parents allowance are blokes.

Think it's about 14/15% of single parent families are headed by a male and if I read your post correctly, nope, one or two, could well be more females are against the cuts.

I've heard a few despicable comments at single parents in my time. The best was a "good Catholic woman" pointing her finger at a young single parent in the street, preaching and pontificating. The young girl just said "didn't your daughter go on a wee trip to Manchester recently" and walked away!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Ok I might need to study this again:D

But in the Netherlands it is common for all students to bring their lunch. It is not seen as being poor, but being good with your money and knowing exactly what you are eating. The dutch are very thrifty:p So some teenagers around the world have this attitude and Irish teenagers are clever enough to learn it!

On what vunerable people can do to suvive the short term (re rents), they could share with another single parent or take in a lodger. Not ideal I know but could be the only solution until landlords drop the rent

I'm not bashing the parent who is left to pick up the pieces, raise the child alone. I am villifying the absconded parent. They should be made pay for their children, I don't think anyone disagrees with this. This is where lone parents should get extra income from, not the state

:DI stayed away from those fancy formatting buttons!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

efb wrote: »
    they make choices, they pay for their choices.

They end up in certain circumstances, they pay a price for it would be closer to the reality and that happens in a number of ways as it is.

If a woman is deserted/left by the father of her child/childern, you might explain where her "choice" came into that. Likewise should she leave an abusive relationship etc.
    Token101 wrote:
    So that means we should just open the wallet and fork out is it? .

Well then, what would you suggest?

• Advertisement

K-9 wrote: »

Some of the savings should be aimed at simple measures. One off the top of my head is the amount of people who have childcare qualifications and on the dole or on Lone Parents, a bit of co-ordination and support there, a huge resource at the Government's fingertips. Many are doing it themselves but there should be a co-ordinated policy there and it wouldn't cost a fortune, a small part of the savings here.

I am liking you...a lot...would you like to be Taoiseach? Don't worry, the other fella will be asking for political asylum in Switzerland after his silly remarks this week...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭sophia25

Ok I might need to study this again:D

But in the Netherlands it is common for all students to bring their lunch. It is not seen as being poor, but being good with your money and knowing exactly what you are eating. The dutch are very thrifty:p So some teenagers around the world have this attitude and Irish teenagers are clever enough to learn it!

On what vunerable people can do to suvive the short term (re rents), they could share with another single parent or take in a lodger. Not ideal I know but could be the only solution until landlords drop the rent

I'm not bashing the parent who is left to pick up the pieces, raise the child alone. I am villifying the absconded parent. They should be made pay for their children, I don't think anyone disagrees with this. This is where lone parents should get extra income from, not the state

If you take a lodger you lose your rent allowance! Every avenue is closed.... If you can think outside the box (and that isn't sarcastic), please keep alternatives coming.

In the Netherlands it is also very flat, legal to smoke sensimelia and they all speak Dutch, but I doubt if any of those will catch on either.

You take in a lodger it is deducted from your benefit, you share your rent supplement drops drastically...you can't win...seriously... I accept the need for cuts but even a little thing as simple as sorting out sane cuts around the country (instead of pulling silly random figures out of a hat) and cutting the *supplement payable* rather than the max rent allowed would ease that immensely...

Hell yes, but the OTHER problem with psychohosebeasts is that it is notoriously difficult to persuade them to do *ANY* right thing. It's a bit like teaching snakes to ice skate....

PROPER ORDER!!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭billybudd

We represent lone parents who are organising a protest against government cuts that have affected our futures and our children’s futures, we understand that lone parents have a poor image in today’s Ireland and all we want to do is fight to have a future for not only our kids but for us, to have enough support so we can gain better education so we can have the opportunity to work and contribute not just to society but to our own children, here are some examples that show with better support this is what we could achieve.

Etc.
    Etc.
    If your opening lines where something like this then you would have my support, as it is you have just lived up to the stereotype that a lot of people have of lone parents and that is to want more money without giving reasonable argument.

It will be interesting to see if the pubs etc are busy after the protest.

Great idea, hence our Government not considering it. Helping people on Welfare has taken a back seat to pleasing Brussels and the IMF.
    aare wrote: »
    I am liking you...a lot...would you like to be Taoiseach? Don't worry, the other fella will be asking for political asylum in Switzerland after his silly remarks this week...

:D You wouldn't like me, because I spot politicians spin, all of this stuff comes as no surprise to me. So yep, cuts are coming and despite the spin, the Government have room on plenty of measures, the IMF and EU are not dictating terms as much as FG/Labour spin it.

You seen the recent scandal in Britain over News International and their grip on politicians? This country is far fecking worse and nobody will challenge the press here.

But far more important, stop swallowing politicians manifestos. Listen to when they get challenged. Falls on deaf ears though, every election. Suppose it gives people a chance to moan about politicians as if they never knew politicians lie and compromise.

In the Netherlands it is also very flat, legal to smoke sensimelia and they all speak Dutch, but I doubt if any of those will catch on either.

No but speaking german might be on the cards when Merkel takes over:p

You take in a lodger it is deducted from your benefit, you share your rent supplement drops drastically...you can't win...seriously... I accept the need for cuts but even a little thing as simple as sorting out sane cuts around the country (instead of pulling silly random figures out of a hat) and cutting the *supplement payable* rather than the max rent allowed would ease that immensely...

Yes far too much insane spending around the country that could be put to better use- Providing a proper state run child care for all, not for a select few. This effects more people=more people supporting the cause.

About the lodger - you are paying less rent (because they are paying half) so even though RA is deducted it balances itself out - surely theres a few extra quid to be made there somewhere?

I don't know what cutting *supplement payable* means

Hell yes, but the OTHER problem with psychohosebeasts is that it is notoriously difficult to persuade them to do *ANY* right thing. It's a bit like teaching snakes to ice skate....

PROPER ORDER!!! :D

I think this whole country needs radical reform. Instead of trying to throw money at problems we need to fix the core issues. Giving some people a few extra quid a week is not going to fix anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭sophia25

I think this whole country needs radical reform. Instead of trying to throw money at problems we need to fix the core issues. Giving some people a few extra quid a week is not going to fix anything.[/QUOTE]

Who asked for that??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

I'm nearly sure they tried to pull the CE schemes in the last government and the current moves are just copper fasting what they(ff) wanted to do in the beginning

:D You wouldn't like me, because I spot politicians spin, all of this stuff comes as no surprise to me. So yep, cuts are coming and despite the spin, the Government have room on plenty of measures, the IMF and EU are not dictating terms as much as FG/Labour spin it.

No!!! No!!! I would love you :D
    You seen the recent scandal in Britain over News International and their grip on politicians? This country is far fecking worse and nobody will challenge the press here.

Ah but at least they are not going in for any of that, all out, covert, genocide the British are so attached to over here, you have to give them that...
    But far more important, stop swallowing politicians manifestos. Listen to when they get challenged. Falls on deaf ears though, every election. Suppose it gives people a chance to moan about politicians as if they never knew politicians lie and compromise.

Hell no, that's in the job description...;)

• Advertisement

No but speaking german might be on the cards when Merkel takes over:p.

You obviously haven't met any Dutch people either, they have LONG memories, and would rather gargle cats wee than speak German...it's a WWII thing...:rolleyes:
    Yes far too much insane spending around the country that could be put to better use- Providing a proper state run child care for all, not for a select few. This effects more people=more people supporting the cause.

Totally true, but you must concede that single parents have, consistently, been poorly represented among the recipients of all that "insane spending"?
    About the lodger - you are paying less rent (because they are paying half) so even though RA is deducted it balances itself out - surely theres a few extra quid to be made there somewhere?

'Fraid not, it's just an excercise in selling out your privacy for absolutely nothing...unless you go under the table, and THAT would be criminal fraud.

Totally true, but you must concede that single parents have, consistently, been poorly represented among the recipients of all that "insane spending"?
    I don't know what cutting *supplement payable* means

Important point, what they have cut is the amount of rent *YOU* may pay for a property to be entitled to supplement. It would buy a lot more time if, instead, they capped the rent they were prepared to pay you...so you could make it up yourself while you sorted it out.

As things stand, if the total of the rent exceeds the maximum they can withdraw the whole supplement *snap fingers* like that...better to pay the maximum and let you go without and find the rest than just leave you with no supplement at all.

I think this whole country needs radical reform. Instead of trying to throw money at problems we need to fix the core issues. Giving some people a few extra quid a week is not going to fix anything.

Agreed (format went out of my control there)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

Broken home with 3 or more kids = epic fail..

else a device!!! mine wasn't that, just plain honest broke but families actually in unity, against ripping off the system stinks. Can't be encouraging that; sooner quash that culture even if to the detriment of the honest but broken minority.

Who asked for that??

Ok they I'm missing the point, what exactly are you looking for if it doesn't equate to this?

The main issues as far as I can see are
    Childcare costs
    Rent allowence being cut

If you take a lodger you lose your rent allowance! Every avenue is closed.... If you can think outside the box (and that isn't sarcastic), please keep alternatives coming.

Earning some extra money setting up an industry you can do at home (crafts, baking, etc)

Excellent advice, that I am sure she has already realised that for herself, meanwhile she still has two beautiful, innocent children to raise and seems to be doing a far better job than I would ever be able to.

Well that's the funny thing, she has already repeated her mistake once and it's very likely that she will continue to make bad choices throughout her life. Some people are impulsive and lack self control.

Who asked for that??

Ok they I'm missing the point, what exactly are you looking for if it doesn't equate to this?

The main issues as far as I can see are
    Childcare costs
    Rent allowence being cut[/Quote]
    Rent allowance is across the board cut but to be honest it would be actually a small percentage hit as if your on RAS(its a long term contract drawn up between town council and landlord for x smount of years)which is run by the local town council and you pay town council the rent per week, and then there are the CE schemes which I do think the government are trying to do away with because it's making it impossible to take part in it and usually CE schemes are vital to community's

• Advertisement

Well that's the funny thing, she has already repeated her mistake once and it's very likely that she will continue to make bad choices throughout her life. Some people are impulsive and lack self control.

Agreed, so we should probably take the kids to the vets and have them put down and sell her to white slavers to recoup some of the cost.

LH Pathe wrote: »

else a device!!! mine wasn't that, just plain honest broke but families actually in unity, against ripping off the system stinks. Can't be encouraging that; sooner quash that culture even if to the detriment of the honest but broken minority.

As above, put the kids down, sell the mothers to white slavers...soon have the problem solved. :rolleyes:

But the mum in question only had two kids, so obviously, in your opinion, she is exempt.

Ah but at least they are not going in for any of that, all out, covert, genocide the British are so attached to over here, you have to give them that...

:D I think you're on the wrong thread about British genocide, but that's brilliant! :D

Hell no, that's in the job description...;)

Well you see, I listen to answers to questions, I don't care if the baying crowd want FF blood and ignored FF questions of FG, because well it was FF. Big Brother is better suited to you then if it's popularity contests.

I wanted tax increases in the last election, so voted FF as everybody else wanted tax cuts. I knew Bertie was gone soon and thought Cowen might actually increase taxes in time, stupid as I was. We're like Thatcher voters in the 80's, we've disappeared of the face of the Earth.

Still, Thatcher got Streep to play her part. Cowen might get Di Caprio by that measure!

Earning some extra money setting up an industry you can do at home (crafts, baking, etc)

But that is deducted from your benefits too :( assuming you *CAN* find a market...being a single parent is much trickier than you suppose.

Still, Thatcher got Streep to play her part. Cowen might get Di Caprio by that measure!

I don't THINK so. *imagining the last sunset on Titanic with Cowan instead of di Caprio and reaching, quite automatically, for the barf bag*

• Advertisement

You obviously haven't met any Dutch people either, they have LONG memories, and would rather gargle cats wee than speak German...it's a WWII thing...:rolleyes:

I meant that we'll be be speaking german here in Ireland

Yes but so have many other groups
    'Fraid not, it's just an excercise in selling out your privacy for absolutely nothing...unless you go under the table, and THAT would be criminal fraud.

Well we won't be doing that then.

Important point, what they have cut is the amount of rent *YOU* may pay for a property to be entitled to supplement. It would buy a lot more time if, instead, they capped the rent they were prepared to pay you...so you could make it up yourself while you sorted it out.

Yes this is nuts- but not an issue that solely effects single parents- getting the group of people that it effects will give more power as this is larger than the number of single parents
    As things stand, if the total of the rent exceeds the maximum they can withdraw the whole supplement *snap fingers* like that...better to pay the maximum and let you go without and find the rest than just leave you with no supplement at all.

Crazy situtation why should the goverment care if people want to make up the difference out of their own pockets, but see above point about this being an issue that effects more than lone parents

NO, just no thats not constructive sh1t happens

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

As above, put the kids down, sell the mothers to white slavers...soon have the problem solved. :rolleyes:

But the mum in question only had two kids, so obviously, in your opinion, she is exempt.

Agreed. But build me up first!! if only to put me down.

Sayin, girls, some guys here too maybe just keep it together til the kids are at least old enough to understand? Even if superficial as those ones often seem to come good regardless. Especially he who gets to become the new man of the house, granted a stepfather isn't taken inboard... With whom it can get damn messy

Agreed, so we should probably take the kids to the vets and have them put down and sell her to white slavers to recoup some of the cost.

That's abit OTT. Kids are gifts from God, and should be treasured. My point is that people should be more responsible when they are in unstable relationships.

Yes this is nuts- but not an issue that solely effects single parents- getting the group of people that it effects will give more power as this is larger than the number of single parents

Tell no-one, but between you and me, I THINK the single parents have already figured that out and...DON'T quote me on this...MAY be open to alliance with other groups thus affected. ;)

That's abit OTT. Kids are gifts from God, and should be treasured. My point is that people should be more responsible when they are in unstable relationships.

Well then...seeing as you are twisting my arm, there is no way round giving single parents the means to treasure those kids with...sorry...I just can't see another way round it... :(

But that is deducted from your benefits too :( assuming you *CAN* find a market...being a single parent is much trickier than you suppose.

But hopefully the money you earn will be more than you benefits, anyways it would be worth doing for your mental health, job prospects when returning to the workforce etc?

Can you not earn a certain amount before it begins to be reduced?

Another buisness idea: making nutritious lunches & sell school children:p, internet selling, design an app, mind children in your house for friends

My kids dad comes from a real catholic family his the eldest of 7 his father made his life hell as a child he had a bit of a leaning disability which his father just used as a yard stick to dehumaise him he used to cry himself to sleep, the father goes to mass every week but is the furthest away from being an actual Christian I've see him reduced his wife to an emotional wreck, between my ex and his useless brother they never intervened and she looks far older than her years but what I'm getting to is my ex knows no different from what his parents thought him what a healthy relationship is or what way you treat your kids, our. Youngest daughter has spent most of her 6 yrs in and out of crumlin he has never once accompanied her nor was his at her bedside when she spent 6 & a half hours in surgery and 3 hours in recovery after a major operation but one things for sure the house is a less hostile and less angry house and the kids have a far better quality if life because we spilt

Sayin, girls, some guys here too maybe just keep it together til the kids are at least old enough to understand? Even if superficial as those ones often seem to come good regardless. Especially he who gets to become the new man of the house, granted a stepfather isn't taken inboard... With whom it can get damn messy

Not quite sure I know what you are saying there?

I don't THINK so. *imagining the last sunset on Titanic with Cowan instead of di Caprio and reaching, quite automatically, for the barf bag*

But, but, but, imagine Streep in the Miners strike, poll tax protests, the Falklands, the war with Liverpool Council etc. etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Everyone makes mistakes - it's part of life. I'm sure you've made a few mistakes yourself, unless of course you're perfect.

Unless you know the exact ins and outs of someone else's life, it's poor form to judge them in such a manner.

Newsflash - sometimes relationships end. Sometimes children are involved. No one can forsee the future.

• Advertisement

But hopefully the money you earn will be more than you benefits, anyways it would be worth doing for your mental health, job prospects when returning to the workforce etc?

Depends on what you do, and nobody can afford an expensive hobby
    Can you not earn a certain amount before it begins to be reduced?

Think it's €130 a week now, to be reduced to €60 in next budget...but it gets REALLY complicated if it is self employment...these are the kind of daft traps SPARK is trying to fight.

But, but, but, imagine Streep in the Miners strike, poll tax protests, the Falklands, the war with Liverpool Council etc. etc.

SCARY!!!

Mk I was bad enough...Mk II is WAY too much...

Depends on what you do, and nobody can afford an expensive hobby

Think it's €130 a week now, to be reduced to €60 in next budget...but it gets REALLY complicated if it is self employment...these are the kind of daft traps SPARK is trying to fight.

But could you afford the cuts if you where getting maintenance and had cheap child care available to you?

SCARY!!!

Mk I was bad enough...Mk II is WAY too much...

Cameron is just the PR friendly version, he has the papers onside and the inquiries are just an annoyance, easily swatted aside, Cameron is your MK II, except in a nice presentable way. Clegg and the Lid Dems licking his arse too, (I hate that term,) as an added bonus to get the Liberals onside.

Streep would be as far as you could get from Maggie, just played a very interesting character. Hitler, Mussolini and Stalin were fascinating as well. :cool:

But could you afford the cuts if you where getting maintenance and had cheap child care available to you?

Doesn't affect me at all these days...BUT...more generally, MOST people certainly would be...BUT...you have to allow for determined *rights* that would also cover the exceptions to that WITHOUT them having to completely degrade themselves on the offchance, as happens at present...

Cameron is just the PR friendly version, he has the papers onside and the inquiries are just an annoyance, easily swatted aside, Cameron is your MK II, except in a nice presentable way.

Cameron is no Meryl Streep AT ALL...more like Goebbels most recent incarnation (take a look on youtube, he has the "I am the most reasonable man in the world dying to be your new best friend" act off to a *T*)...

Who would play him? Hugh Grant...or am I just being unimaginative?

Everyone makes mistakes - it's part of life. I'm sure you've made a few mistakes yourself, unless of course you're perfect.

Unless you know the exact ins and outs of someone else's life, it's poor form to judge them in such a manner.

Newsflash - sometimes relationships end. Sometimes children are involved. No one can forsee the future.

History keeps repeating itself (unfortunately) people make the same mistakes over and over again, a relationship to you is a one night stand to someone else. People should be held responsible for their actions, not just financially but emotionally, the only people that suffer is the children, because they have to cope with the actions of irresponsible “adults”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

History keeps repeating itself (unfortunately) people make the same mistakes over and over again, a relationship to you is a one night stand to someone else. People should be held responsible for their actions, not just financially but emotionally, the only people that suffer is the children, because they have to cope with the actions of irresponsible “adults”

Should parents give up trying to foster new relationships altogether, just in case there's a slight chance in the future they mightn't work out?

That would be a very lonely life indeed.

She has accepted her responsibilities, she is there providing for the child both emotionally and financially. It is the non contributing parent that your anger should be directed towards

• Advertisement

So ok, lets have the kids put down as a mercy and move on.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement