Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Single Parents Protest!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

token101 wrote: »
    aare wrote: »
    Have you ever shopped for a school uniform? Without your mum?

What has that got to do with anything?????? :confused:

http://www.schooluniformsdirect.ie/

Heres the prices. Pants x2, shirt x2, tie, jumper: 90-100 quid approx. Shoes in Dunnes, Tescos, Pennys, 30-40 quid. You'd have change.
    I'm not too bad uniform wise 2 of my children go to educate together which there's no uniform but my eldest goes to another school because she has a learning disability they have spicific jumpers €35 each spicific skirts €35 each and an extremely hard dress code blouses tights socks and shoes once there black are grand and that's before books, though with educate together this year it's about €400 voluntary contribution before books

Edit: just looked at school uniforms direct they have a couple of local schools east glendalough and Avondale community college €50 for a skirt ! €35 for a jumper that's starting from size 34 upwards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,366 ✭✭✭micropig

Ok, I had nothing better to do so I calculated this:

All allowance rates taken from http://www.citizensinformation.ie

Single parent in rented accommodation, 1 child

Allowance Rate*amount of weeks recieved = Total per year
    opfa 188*52 = 9776
    dependent child 29.8*52=1549.6
    fuel allowance (26 weeks of the year) 20*26=520
    Children's allowance/p/child 140*12 = 1680
    Back to school allowance/c (U11) 150*1 = 150
    Total income/ year 13675.6
    Medical Card Priceless

Outgoing Week / Year
    Amount to be paid in rent 30*52=1560
    food/week 80*52 = 4160
    household bills 80*52=4160
    Saving 20*52=1040
    Medical expenses - covered by medical card
    total €10920

Incoming-outgoing= €2755.6 / 52 = €52.99
    Money to spend after necessities paid for €52.99

Parent has savings/ year of €1040 for emergency/rain day/Christmas etc

I may be missing some allowances/expenses so correct me if I'm wrong
    I also overestimated the cost of food & bills (bills do not include rent)

Seems like a lone parent with one child in rented accommodation is doing pretty well from the SW, not saying that they shouldn't be I just think the SW system is actually very generous in this situation and there is room for cuts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭BunShopVoyeur

Keep your legs closed ladies......

Aspire to be more than a cum bucket.

Mod note: Banned

Tell that to the poor unfortunate women to have the marriage Certs
    Is it that woman/man can walk away from an abusive Spouse Now
    How would you feel if half your face was brushed and swollen from a punch to the face
    Should you just shut up and put up ?
    I think that is exactly what people want you to do That would be the catholic way of things
    Then indirectly that's what is taught to your kids as a healthy relationship

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭cassi

Charming :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭BunShopVoyeur

cassi wrote: »
    Charming :rolleyes:

Thank you :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭upinthesky

what about the women in local authority housing? there paying about 35 - 50 euro a week in rent take that from there opfp and there left with very little

doing a ce scheme maybe when the children were at school is a huge help to them and a better life for there children

fis is a good suggestion but there's just not the jobs out there plus there is a 6 month waiting period on fis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Mod

Banned.

micropig wrote: »

opfa 188*52 = 9776
    Medical Card Priceless

Outgoing Week / Year
    food/week 80*52 = 4160
    Saving 20*52=1040
    total €10920

Seems like a lone parent with one child in rented accommodation is doing pretty well from the SW, not saying that they shouldn't be I just think the SW system is actually very generous in this situation and there is room for cuts

If participating in CE scheme an extra €20 a week will be added on to this bring the total to €72.99/week, before maintenance is added

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

opfa 188*52 = 9776
    Medical Card Priceless

Outgoing Week / Year
    food/week 80*52 = 4160
    Saving 20*52=1040
    total €10920

This is not the case for everyone. It is only one example.
    I, as a single parent, do not receive rent allowance.
    I live in the country and need a car as public transport is pathetic.

If participating in CE scheme an extra €20 a week will be added on to this bring the total to €72.99/week, before maintenance is added

OPFA is reduced if you are receiving maintenance. And afaik your rent is increased

token101 wrote: »

They changed the name of this allowance a few years ago, it used to be called the Winter clothing and Footwear Allowance. If this name still existed there would be no argument. Me thinks the Government knew what they were doing when they changed the name

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Ms. Pingui

I'm a young single mother and I think it wopuld be brilliant to get some help with childcare so that I could go out and work. I struggled to finnish college while pregnant and continued after my baby was born. Now that I have a qualification, I can't work anyway because I simply could'nt afford childcare on my own. At the moment I'm sitting at home everyday getting the one parent family allowance and no maintenace and it is REALLY depressing.
    I don't want to be on social welfare for the rest of my life but it looks like I don't have any other option and it breaks my heart! :(

To help people understand more the situation of a single parent, I will give my story.

I had a relationship with a man, became pregnant, man did not want involvement with the child. I made the decision to have the baby and raise it alone. He refused to pay maintenance, so I had no choice but to bring him to court in order to rectify that. It took a year. I never got a penny for that first year. Also I was not aware that I would have been entitled to Legal Aid so I paid privately for a solicitor. I had no other choice.

Roll on, a few years later, I met a man, married him, became pregnant and this was when he showed his true colours. I left my marriage, with my child and baby in my belly. I left the house. He refused to leave and let me to take over the mortgage. Also had to bring him to court for maintenance. What galled me about both these men that I had loved (!) was that they were willing to pay hundreds to a solicitor to defend them in having to pay for a child that they willingly agreed to have.

So now, I am in third level education, receiving €267pw, (€20 of which is paid towards heating). I am living in a rural area where rent is fairly reasonable, I pay €95pw for my house. I do not get Rent Allowance. But living in this area has me travelling 25 miles one way to college, so a decent, reliable car is a necessary luxury.

Baby daddy number one is a direct debit, nothing more. He has refused any involvement with his child, so I have no practical help from him or his family in terms of babysitting. Baby daddy number two has involvement, but he works Mon-Fri so I cannot depend on him for babysitting. Also he is not from this country so has no family here. So no help there either.

So out of that €267pw payment I have to pay €95pw rent, €60 car loan, €80 petrol (I am hoping to trade in to get a diesel car soon), I pay childcare and playschool fees. I am very very lucky that I receive €155 maintenance pw from my childrens fathers. But I cannot depend on it. Which is why I am trying to educate myself so that I can provide for my children myself. Many other single parents get nothing from the absent parent, and this is wrong, wrong, wrong. The courts system needs to get themselves in gear to chase after these people (men and women) before SW cut from the lone parent.

And for those who begrudge and look down on single parents just remember; for every single mother, there is a single father - whether they want to stand up and take responsibility or not.
    OPFA is reduced if you are receiving maintenance. And afaik your rent is increased

To qualify for a One-Parent Family Payment you must:

Be the parent, step-parent, adoptive parent or legal guardian of a qualified child.
    Be the main carer of at least one qualified child and that child must live with you. One-Parent Family Payment is not payable if the parents have joint equal custody of a child or children.
    Have earnings of €425 or less per week
    Satisfy a means test
    Be habitually resident
    Not be living with a spouse, civil partner or cohabiting

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/social_welfare_payments_to_families_and_children/one_parent_family_payment.html
    This is a significant amount to be able to earn and still quality

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭sophia25

Less transport to scheme and childcare costs....... who would work 2o hours a week to be at a considerable financial loss. We can argue all night but the facts speak for themselves.

http://www.cpa.ie/povertyinireland/whoispoor.html

The situation has deteriorated a lot more so those saying that single parents aren't deserving of support, perhaps think of children being brought up in poverty.

• Advertisement

Be the parent, step-parent, adoptive parent or legal guardian of a qualified child.
    Be the main carer of at least one qualified child and that child must live with you. One-Parent Family Payment is not payable if the parents have joint equal custody of a child or children.
    Satisfy a means test
    Be habitually resident

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/social_welfare_payments_to_families_and_children/one_parent_family_payment.html

Income from maintenance

All income from maintenance is assessed as means. This includes maintenance for you and maintenance to you for any of your children. If you are getting maintenance from more than one person it will be added together and the total will be assessed as means. However, your rent or mortgage repayment up to a maximum of €95.23 per week can be offset against maintenance payments. Half the balance is then assessed as means and your social welfare payment will be reduced by that amount. You must provide proof of rent or mortgage payments. You can get more information on how maintenance is assessed as means.

You can work and get One-Parent Family Payment. The amount of payment you get depends on your weekly means. Income from employment or self-employment is calculated as follows:

The first €146.50 of your gross weekly earnings is not taken into account. This means that you can earn up to €146.50 per week and qualify for the full One-Parent Family Payment.
    Half the remainder of your gross earnings up to €425 per week is assessed as means. If you earn between €146.50 and €425 per week you may qualify for a reduced payment.

Ms. Pingui wrote: »
    I'm a young single mother and I think it wopuld be brilliant to get some help with childcare so that I could go out and work. I struggled to finnish college while pregnant and continued after my baby was born. Now that I have a qualification, I can't work anyway because I simply could'nt afford childcare on my own. At the moment I'm sitting at home everyday getting the one parent family allowance and no maintenace and it is REALLY depressing.
    I don't want to be on social welfare for the rest of my life but it looks like I don't have any other option and it breaks my heart! :(

These are the issues which should be protested about
    1) The cost of childcare. (insurance premiums are keeping childcare costs so high/ lobby to the government to cap the price which insurance companies can charge for providing cover for childcare)

2)Lack of enforcing maintenance orders

Throwing money at the system we have will not fix the issues.

This is a significant amount to be able to earn and still quality[/QUOTE]

€425 is not a lot if you are paying €200 for childcare and this is your gross earnings not net. At €425 you get a very small payment around €20pw. If there was affordable childcare it would not be such an issue.

1) The cost of childcare. (insurance premiums are keeping childcare costs so high/ lobby to the government to cap the price which insurance companies can charge for providing cover for childcare)

Certainly these things should be amended. I don't think anyone would argue with you there. But what are the people who are having cuts imposed on them supposed to do in the meantime? It would take years!

I know there was something going on about the enforcement of maintenance orders going on, I have no idea where that situation is now. But the problem was it was against human rights or some such rubbish to enforce a maintenance order!! This is our wonderful PC country :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭Oddjob

Face the facts, you're never going to work, no job can match what you can get for sitting on your arse at home. You have a basic college qualification, as has half the country, no employer can match what you get for sitting at home.

• Advertisement

Throwing money at the system we have will not fix the issues.

The courts are a joke in this country, I have personally received zero for the past 3 years but its even worse now since he has no job on top of a wife and child to support now! Its not worth going to the courts already paid thousands to deal with him not going broke again.

So we are all agreed the main issue here are the uselessness of the courts and the cost of childcare - Yet I see no mention of campaigning for change these on the SPARKS website.

I just think its amazing how many spring in to action as soon as its mentioned that they're money is being cut-It shows where priorities lie!

Can anyone offer any other solutions to work around the cuts?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

"Ireland, the last country in the world that subsides's immaculate conceptions"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭aare

So we are all agreed the main issue here are the uselessness of the courts and the cost of childcare - Yet I see no mention of campaigning for change these on the SPARKS website.

Can I just draw your attention to a tiny little "cart before horse" situation?

Loathe as I am to in any way discourage such an important advance, reduced childcare costs will have no impact whatsover until there are some actual jobs available...

...and this *IS* important because the mindset that assumes people will just be able to pull a job out of thin air if you squeeze them enough...

Not going to happen.

Chinasea wrote: »
    "Ireland, the last country in the world that subsides's immaculate conceptions"

:rolleyes:

Can I just draw your attention to a tiny little "cart before horse" situation?

Loathe as I am to in any way discourage such an important advance, reduced childcare costs will have no impact whatsover until there are some actual jobs available...

...and this *IS* important because the mindset that assumes people will just be able to pull a job out of thin air if you squeeze them enough...

Not going to happen.

Surely people will be able to do CE course etc if they have cheap childcare available?

Surely people will be able to do CE course etc if they have cheap childcare available?

The appropriate word being 'IF'
    But its left on your own head to find childcare
    and sadly its expensive

You have CE schemes, or college courses but I don't think you have CE courses...

CE schemes do not exist in unlimited quantities either y'know!

Also, the childcare would have to be very cheap indeed to allow them to pay for transport and lunches as well without finding themselves paying more than they can possibly afford to work.

Affordable childcare really only affects their chances in the mainstream workforce, that are, currently, non-existant.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Ms. Pingui

Oddjob wrote: »
    Face the facts, you're never going to work, no job can match what you can get for sitting on your arse at home. You have a basic college qualification, as has half the country, no employer can match what you get for sitting at home.

Actually it's not any sort of job snobbery thats keeping me at home. I'd happily work at anything no matter how low the wages if it were viable to do so. I just could'nt afford to live if I worked because of childcare costs so what other option do I have? It's a trap thats nearly impossible to get out of. Getting maintenance is not an option in my case.

Actually it's not any sort of job snobbery thats keeping me at home. I'd happily work at anything no matter how low the wages if it were viable to do so. I just could'nt afford to live if I worked because of childcare costs so what other option do I have? It's a trap thats nearly impossible to get out of. Getting maintenance is not an option in my case.

That is it, and as soon as you are a mum, your first duty is to your child, not some lofty abstract of "the state".

You have an obligation to fight for what is best for your child.

• Advertisement

You have CE schemes, or college courses but I don't think you have CE courses...

:rolleyes:
    CE schemes do not exist in unlimited quantities either y'know!

But I thought the issue was that that government cuts where stopping lone parents going on CE schemes or FAS courses :confused:
    Also, the childcare would have to be very cheap indeed to allow them to pay for transport and lunches as well without finding themselves paying more than they can possibly afford to work.

Extend the current scheme of €25/week, campaign to have more places made available on this
    Affordable childcare really only affects their chances in the mainstream workforce, that are, currently, non-existant.

So childcare costs are not an issue for those doing CE schemes of other course? :confused:

But I thought the issue was that that government cuts where stopping lone parents going on CE schemes or FAS courses :confused:

No, the issues are that the government is placing single parents, and their children, in impossible positions in a number of different ways and stigmatising them in order to render it more palatable to the rest of the electorate.

I have a friend who was made redundant last year, he has tried to get a job since but nothing.
    His wife gets the odd day here and there but nothing major.
    He was told by FÁS that there was no funding for him to do a course. He was also told that any CE schemes available are a minimum of 12 miles away, one way, and would not be worth his while after diesel was taken into consideration. Oh and he's not applicable for them anyway until he is a year and a day unemployed. And the jobs available in the JobBridge scheme are a joke.
    So seriously, where is this guy supposed to turn? The system is a joke for everyone

Micropig the government are trying to do away with CE schemes just as the last government tried and changing and making near impossible to take part in one, its the governments way of making this less attrative

If someone parenting alone wants to do a CE job, they will work for 19 hours for €20 additional money. So even your suggestion of €25 childcare costs means that they will have to fund transport and childcare costs of circa €40pw out of the €20 they earn. Do you think that someone should work 19 hours and lose €20 per week on a tight budget? The measures are being marketed as welfare to work measures but a simple analysis shows they are in fact the exact opposite.

gcgirl wrote: »
    Micropig the government are trying to do away with CE schemes just as the last government tried and changing and making near impossible to take part in one, its the governments way of making this less attrative

Yes, I know this but if your not on a course and your not working you do not have to pay for childcare

From http://sparkcampaign.com/budget-effects-.html
    3. CE schemes are now effectively closed to lone parents. The withdrawal of the double payment means that single parents will have to fund childcare and treavel expenses from €20 per week. They will be forced to remain in the home while children are under 7 and then forced to compete on job hindering training to those trying to get back to work.

So as I see it it the reason lone parents are complaining the scheme is becoming inaccessible to them is the cost of transport & childcare

I'm just offering other solutions to solve this issue

Tackling the issue of the cost of childcare would be more beneficial in the long run to everyone and making the non-contributing parent pay for their child is what lone parents should be campaigning for.

sophia25 wrote: »
    If someone parenting alone wants to do a CE job, they will work for 19 hours for €20 additional money. So even your suggestion of €25 childcare costs means that they will have to fund transport and childcare costs of circa €40pw out of the €20 they earn. Do you think that someone should work 19 hours and lose €20 per week on a tight budget? The measures are being marketed as welfare to work measures but a simple analysis shows they are in fact the exact opposite.

When all allowances received by lone parent are taken in to account, there is more that €20 available to cover these expenses from the figures I worked out a few posts back

Tackling the issue of the cost of childcare would be more beneficial in the long run to everyone and making the non-contributing parent pay for their child is what lone parents should be campaigning for.

Those are both beneficial things that need fighting for, but they barely touch the surface of the problems many single parents face.

Maintenance payments are just deducted, euro for euro, from rent supplement, so it just doesn't make a lot of difference and reducing the cost of childcare will not make much difference to anyone until there are some real jobs out there.

Yes, I know this but if your not on a course and your not working you do not have to pay for childcare

From http://sparkcampaign.com/budget-effects-.html

So as I see it it the reason lone parents are complaining the scheme is becoming inaccessible to them is the cost of transport & childcare

I'm just offering other solutions to solve this issue

I agree on both points with you
    But it would take a major overhaul of family court proceedings along with our government actually looking at European country's Childcare system(France i have Knowledge of and its very good)

• Advertisement

When all allowances received by lone parent are taken in to account, there is more that €20 available to cover these expenses from the figures I worked out a few posts back

To be taken out of christmas and birthday presents and contingency money as you assessed it.

IN FACT, there are all sorts of hidden costs in raising a child...just letting a boy play in a football team, to meet his social needs, can cost more than €300 pa plus equipment. Apart from that there are birthday presents for other kids (so he can go to parties) dental costs (the state system has, effectively ground to a halt in most areas, even for children)...the list is endless

To be taken out of christmas and birthday presents and contingency money as you assessed it.

IN FACT, there are all sorts of hidden costs in raising a child...just letting a boy play in a football team, to meet his social needs, can cost more than €300 pa plus equipment. Apart from that there are birthday presents for other kids (so he can go to parties) dental costs (the state system has, effectively ground to a halt in most areas, even for children)...the list is endless

I actually would really want to murder Mr Moshi, Sometimes its like being a negotiator/peacekeeper with the UN, The skills you learn :) how to deal with kids

I'm just not convinced that these cuts can't be handled by lone parents, sorry

The re: Rent Allowance being capped; rents will fall and landlords will be forced to accept less. In the adjustment period, people & their children will not be sleeping on the street. At the very least there are laws which prevent the landlords from evicting you, even for non payment of rent; At the worst the community welfare officer will provide emergency accommodation.

Most of the other issues are lone parents can not do x,y,z because of cuts in childcare allowance. I'm told that this is a mute point because x,y,z does not have an infinite number of places etc. and its not available anyway.

Maintenance payments reduce your rent allowance? Its better for society that maintenance is paid by the parent who made the child instead of the money coming out of the states wallet.

What exactly is the campaign for?

I over estimated the food & household bills charges to include these sundries. I mean a lone parent with one child is not going to eat €80 worth of food and have electricity/gas bills of €80 a week and if they do I'm not sure where they're shopping

Also the person has savings of €1040 / year if I remember correctly

Most people would be on RAS no change, its different to Rent allowance though on Rent allowance its a universal cut everyone is cut
    As for Community Employment schemes its taking out any incentive to take part
    again its a universal scheme to help long term unemployed & lone parents
    As for Fathers..... how are you suppose to get money when they have no money

opfa 188*52 = 9776
    Medical Card Priceless

Outgoing Week / Year
    food/week 80*52 = 4160
    Saving 20*52=1040
    total €10920

€52.99+€20=€72.99

Childcare cost/week €40 (figures per sophia25)
    Leaves €32.99 after all expenses paid

Ok I adjusted my figures €32.99 before maintenance is paid

• Advertisement

I'm just not convinced that these cuts can't be handled by lone parents, sorry

Well, you do not have to be, because they are.
    The re: Rent Allowance being capped; rents will fall and landlords will be forced to accept less. In the adjustment period, people & their children will not be sleeping on the street.

Dream on, that can really happen very easily.
    At the very least there are laws which prevent the landlords from evicting you, even for non payment of rent; At the worst the community welfare officer will provide emergency accommodation.

Not a chance, as soon as you are evicted you are not in his area and cease to be his responsibility.
    Most of the other issues are lone parents can not do x,y,z because of cuts in childcare allowance. I'm told that this is a mute point because x,y,z does not have an infinite number of places etc. and its not available anyway.

...and there might be a tenuous connection between the above reality and the fact that they feel the need to fight for rather more and different things than the two things you want them to fight for??
    Maintenance payments reduce your rent allowance? Its better for society that maintenance is paid by the parent who made the child instead of the money coming out of the states wallet.

What exactly is the campaign for?

The indispensible needs of a lot of innocent children.

They would get €20 extra to work 19 hours and it would cost then at least €40. Why on earth would someone work 19 hours to lose €20 per week instead of minding their own child. The facts are there. There is no poorer sector in society, is that fair on a generation of innocent children?

gcgirl wrote: »
    I agree on both points with you
    But it would take a major overhaul of family court proceedings along with our government actually looking at European country's Childcare system(France i have Knowledge of and its very good)

I'm interested in knowing if there are many groups campaigning for this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Satisfy a means test
    Be habitually resident

It isn't that great.

The amount when they start deducting is about €135 from memory, so for every €2 you earn over that, you lose €1 in benefit. Once you start earning over say €350, the payment is pretty small.

Its recognition that a 1 income, 1 parent family has it tougher than a 1 income, 2 parent family financially.

I don't get the logic in this. People give out about lone parents not wanting to get off Welfare and then moan at measures aimed at getting them of it.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

The income disregard has been reduced from €146.50 to €130 and will be reduced to €60. Hardly an incentive to encourage a transition from welfare to work.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement