Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nottingham university: financing, feedback etc

• 28-01-2012 2:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭

Recently got accepted to an LLM in Nottingham, course suits me down to the ground so am wondering if anyone can give me any advice on the city.

-Financing is the main headache: I have some savings but would need some sort of loan. I've applied for the law school tuition waiver but dunno what my chances are. I have a 1.1 in my BA and based on the first semester, it looks like I'll get a 1.1 in my LLB, anyone know if this would be competitive or is a 1.1 no real help?

Assuming I can't get the scholarship, what's the availability of part time work like? I have a lot of experience in bartending and in retail; is there much work going around the campus/nearby?
    Or if that fails, are student loans possible for a postgraduate degree?

Any other advice on the university, city and so on would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

Shottingham? :D Can't help you on the first question but part-time work is plentiful - it's a bustling city with a good sized student population and the people I know there worked solid through their undergrads/postgrads without too much hassle.

There are no student loans for postgrad unless they're from a bank etc. and those can be quite hard to come by. However law students are generally looked upon more favourably than others by the banks.

The Student Room is a good resource for info specific to the uni/course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Is that University of Nottingham or Nottingham Trent Uni? I've just started a postgrad at NTU but University of Nottingham would be the higher ranked of the two, but it's still good. Good cheap bus system around the city, with regular services to the two uni (about every 8 mins peak time). Flying in is handy enough to East Midlands Airport if you're coming from Dublin.

Afraid can't answer any specifics regarding your course or funding, probably lots of part-time work around, especially in bars/pubs/clubs with the large student population. Although given my current workload already after 2 weeks I'm not sure how you could study/work at the same time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Lockstep

It's at the University of Nottingham, thanks for the reply.

How are you finding it there so far?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

It's fine, think the city itself has a bit of a rep for the usual drunken crime late night/weekends but tbh it's no better or worse than most similar sized UK cities. City centre itself is nice enough (bit hilly though!) but seems to be lacking a bit of character though - early days yet though and it is the most depressing time of the year. Also my course is situated on another campus about 15-20 mins out of the city so don't see much of it. Are you planning on living on/off campus?

You've also got Nott Forest FC and Trent Bridge cricket ground if you're into sport. Just a pity the next Ashes test isn't till 2013, would make for a good athmosphere (regardless of what you might think of cricket!).

I'm sure there's more to the place, but I've had my head stuck in books for the last few weeks!

Advertisement