Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Latching relay...

Options
  • 28-01-2012 2:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭

I need some help,

I'm trying to wire up a system using a Durite 0-728-02 latching relay where I have a N/O push button to give power to the coil, relay closes, button is pushed again, relay opens, I can only perform this action once and have to kill power to the circuit to "reset" the relay, is there any way around this? When I set the circuit up on a test bed using a meter to test continuity it opens & close all day long, but one I put it on load it's only function once...?! confused.gif

Thanks for your help,
    Seán

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Seanieke wrote: »
    I need some help,

I'm trying to wire up a system using a Durite 0-728-02 latching relay where I have a N/O push button to give power to the coil, relay closes, button is pushed again, relay opens, I can only perform this action once and have to kill power to the circuit to "reset" the relay, is there any way around this? When I set the circuit up on a test bed using a meter to test continuity it opens & close all day long, but one I put it on load it's only function once...?! confused.gif

Thanks for your help,
    Seán

Can you put up a diagram of exactly how you have it wired up, including the load.

Sounds like you possibly have the relay being held on by the supply source after you release the push button.

You could of achieved the same thing with a standard relay, and 2 push buttons, one n/o and the other n/c as well, like a stop start setup.

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Seanieke

I can only use one button as that is all that is supplied & will fit the application.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

I can only use one button as that is all that is supplied & will fit the application.

If you want a latching relay with only 1 switch controlling it simply use a latching switch. Then you don't even need a hold on contact.

2011 wrote: »
    If you want a latching relay with only 1 switch controlling it simply use a latching switch. Then you don't even need a hold on contact.

That will work perfect alright. As long as its something a user does not mind coming back on after a power outage (in general). Not the case here by the look of it, so thats a good way out of it.

Now all we need is a switch, and no relay at all maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Seanieke

I'm afraid I can only use one button as that is all that is supplied & will fit the application.

• Advertisement

I'm afraid I can only use one button as that is all that is supplied & will fit the application.

Can you take a pic of the diagram on the side of the relay? I seen one diagram of that relay showing an internal connection between the coil and the relay contacts.

Anyway the 2011 idea of using a latching pushbutton with a standard relay will work.

Latching ones are often used in applications powered by batteries, to reduce the power comsumption of the circuit.

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭Hoagy

There are internal connections in that relay which are holding the relay in as Robbie suggested.

You have your push button connected between 12v and terminal '30'

To make it work correctly you need to connect the push button between terminal 'S' and 0v.

You won't need the 12v to '56' btw.

Yea i had another look at the relay diagram, and the pushbutton between 0v and S should work as Hoagy says.

Here is your diagram OP, altered accordingly. 30 to the relay coil is internally linked to the relay contacts, so no 12v needed to 56. But you can leave this as is, the main thing is pushbutton between 0v and S.

latchingrelay.jpg

Advertisement