Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ESB bills - paying at post office?

Options
  • 28-01-2012 2:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭

Is there any way to pay the ESB through the post office.

The bill is paid by direct debit, to avoid the deposit. I live in a houseshare, which involves each of us paying our share of the bill, collecting the money and go off to the bank to lodge money into my account. However it normally involves someone paying their share the day before its due. Which is a pain as i never have time to go the bank.

We live right beside a post office so it would be so much handier.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

Just found out about this Easypay card.

How does this work?

If i was to get a card, i can pay at the post office, is this right?

So once i collect the money from the housemates, i can head off to the post office and pay the bill with this card. Is this right? Does this payment take time to go through? As in if i pay the day before the bill is due, is the bill cleared right there and then? Or will money still be taken out of my account?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Electric Ireland: Mark

Hello HardLuckWoman,

The Easypay card would enable you to go directly to the post office and pay off the bill. However, it would normally take 3-4 working days in order to process this payment to your Electric Ireland account. This would mean that if you were paying an amount off the bill the day before the direct debit was due to be withdrawn from your bank, it may not be received in time and the full amount would be withdrawn by direct debit. We would advise customers using the Easypay card to leave 3-4 days in order for the payment to be received.

If the situation does arise where an amount has been paid by Easypay card and the direct debit is withdrawn in full, this amount would be credited to your electricity account.

I hope this helps and if you have further questions please don't hesitate to ask.

Regards,
    Mark

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

How do i go about getting one of these cards? Does it cost anything?

I think i am given two weeks from the time i get the bill to when it is taken out of my account. I think if i have an excuse to pay a week early using the easy pay card, it might save the hassle and stress of receiving housemates share of the bill the day before its due.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

There is no need for a card to pay ESB bills through the Post Office. Hand in your bill, they scan it, hand in cash they lodge it directly and issue a receipt showing account details, amount credited, etc.

Photocopy the bill, give each house-mate their own copy and tell them to lodge their share of the money directly, returning the receipts to you.

Simplezzzzz.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Electric Ireland: David

Hi HardLuckWoman,
    How do i go about getting one of these cards? Does it cost anything

We can send you out one of these cards free of charge; all you need to do is either contact us at 1850 372 372, email us, or simply drop me a PM with the following account details and I can process the request for you:
    • Your full name and account number
    • Your contact number and date of birth for account security
    It can take up to 10 working days for the card to be received.
    mathepac wrote:
    There is no need for a card to pay ESB bills through the Post Office... Photocopy the bill, give each house-mate their own copy and tell them to lodge their share of the money directly, returning the receipts to you.

Mathepac is absolutely right here; this is an option you could take. Easypay cards are simply cards with your account information encoded on them. The stub of a bill showing the bar code can be scanned in at the post office in exactly the same way, though some people might find that having it in card form is more convenient.

Let me know which option you would prefer.

Thanks,

David.

• Advertisement
Advertisement