Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should shops take back games with online codes?

Options
  • 28-01-2012 2:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭

I notice some shops have a policy that if you don't like something you can return it within 28 days and exchange it for something else. Should shops do this for games with online codes? Unless the game is sealed how are staff supposed to know if the code has been used or not?
    I think retailers are going to need to start looking at these codes and do something about them as they shouldn't take back these games or trade them in.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,540 ✭✭✭✭Varik

I notice some shops have a policy that if you don't like something you can return it within 28 days and exchange it for something else. Should shops do this for games with online codes? Unless the game is sealed how are staff supposed to know if the code has been used or not?
    I think retailers are going to need to start looking at these codes and do something about them as they shouldn't take back these games or trade them in.

Those returns tend to only apply to unopened products anyway and some electronic shops or more general shops that have that excluded games.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Odaise Gaelach

I'm not so certain about the law anymore, but I'm almost sure that legally they're not obliged to take back the game, unless it's faulty.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,446 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

They don't have to take it back unless it's unused or faulty.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

What if you go home and the code is already been used, it's happened to a few people on boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭Welease

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    They don't have to take it back unless it's unused or faulty.

For clarity, its worth pointing out they dont have to take it back just because its unused.. The law doesn't cover change of mind..

• Advertisement
  • Company Representative Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Gamesnash.ie: Pat

Crosáidí wrote: »
    What if you go home and the code is already been used, it's happened to a few people on boards.

That should only really happen in the case of a pre owned game requiring an online pass - which the retailler should make a point of stating to the customer at the time of purchase that access to online features may not be present.

If it's a new game that the code is shown as being already used then the item becomes "unfit for purpose" and should be dealt with accordingly by the retailer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

Wonder what happens should a customer wish to return a game on the grounds that they refuse to accept the EULA?

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Akarinn

This guy seems to think xbox wil have online activation codes like pc. So really this could become a problem for game stores and pre owned game :-/

http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_uri=%2F&gl=IE#/profile?user=jakthebomb&v=6kMjj-mRZj0&view=videos

Akarinn wrote: »
    This guy seems to think xbox wil have online activation codes like pc. So really this could become a problem for game stores and pre owned game :-/

It's on the cards - but it also becomes a problem for the gamer too. If the pre owned market is wiped out on Xbox games (talking next generation here) what it will mean is that the retaillers will stop discounting the new games so heavily. The pre owned market is heavily subsidising new games prices at the moment so it could lead to a huge price increase at retail (unless of course publishers drop the prices to reflect the lack of pre owned game sales eating into their market)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

That should only really happen in the case of a pre owned game requiring an online pass - which the retailler should make a point of stating to the customer at the time of purchase that access to online features may not be present.

If it's a new game that the code is shown as being already used then the item becomes "unfit for purpose" and should be dealt with accordingly by the retailer.

I remember someone posting here saying they were given a display case and the code sticker was inside it, when they got home it was used already

• Advertisement

Yep have heard of this too - three scenarios:

1) The game was brand new but the manual / pass code was left in the display case - customer comes across it / photographs the code and uses it. Or perhaps a dishonest staff member.

2) The game was actually pre owned and not new.

3) On rare occasions the code redemption process can get messed up - in which case a code can show as being already redeemed due to a technical error or it may have registered to the wrong profile on a console.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,333 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

It's on the cards - but it also becomes a problem for the gamer too. If the pre owned market is wiped out on Xbox games (talking next generation here) what it will mean is that the retaillers will stop discounting the new games so heavily. The pre owned market is heavily subsidising new games prices at the moment so it could lead to a huge price increase at retail (unless of course publishers drop the prices to reflect the lack of pre owned game sales eating into their market)
    The publishers would have to.

I don't think there would be a lack of discounts on new titles though either. Look at Steam, steam doesn't have any pre-owned market.

Advertisement