Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

when does facebook get creepy

• 28-01-2012 3:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭orangebud

i joined facebook in December, the thing i noticed about it i know a lot more about people i did not care about before, for example the guy i get my jafa cakes of has a daughter who turned 18 two weeks ago & i can click on her page and look at 18 year olds having fun :eek:, i even know where she is going tonight not that i would do anything im too spaced out on jafa cakes, it just looks like facebook is making peeping toms job a lot easier

is it just me or is it the jafa cakes :confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,439 ✭✭✭Kevin Duffy

It gets creepy when you use it to stalk 18 year olds, like you do for example.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

Hence why i don't use facebook.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭cassi

orangebud wrote: »
    i joined facebook in December, the thing i noticed about it i know a lot more about people i did not care about before, for example the guy i get my jafa cakes of has a daughter who turned 18 two weeks ago & i can click on her page and look at 18 year olds having fun :eek:, i even know where she is going tonight not that i would do anything im too spaced out on jafa cakes, it just looks like facebook is making peeping toms job a lot easier

I kinda want some Jaffa Cakes now :confused::D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

cassi wrote: »
    I kinda want some Jaffa Cakes now :confused::D

is jaffa cake code for penis?

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭cassi

pmcmahon wrote: »
    is jaffa cake code for penis?

:D Im alright for penis at the minute thanks :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭mongdesade

Probably the orange bud :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

I am friends with my sisters friend, she kinda makes me weep for humanity.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭Ice87

Happy creeping.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭Joshua Jones

When was it not creepy???:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Immaculate Pasta

What scares me is these "new-age" mothers so to speak who post pictures of their children on facebook every single day.

I have this woman as a friend on facebook who I know, but I don't really know that well and she has 2 kids who are 1 and 4. Ever since they've been born the pictures have gone up everyday and constant statuses about them and I personally feel I know these children far too well. Particularly the 4 year old who the woman has put pictures on facebook pretty much every day since he was born and the pictures keep popping on my newsfeed. I know where they've been, what they got for Christmas and I like her 300 other friends on facebook are going to know everything about their lives. And I've never even met the fecking children nor have any interest to!

I've got to feel sorry for them thinking that when they grow up. Hundreds of randomers will end up knowing so much about their childhood and seen so many of their pictures who they haven't even met.

I would personally be horrified if I grew up in this generation and my mother had done that to me. Now that's creepy! :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

When a corporation like Facebook is building a data base on everyone who uses Facebook to sell to others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

Why do you have a special Jaffa Cakes vendor? Do you get your Rich Tea from someone else?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭whirlpool

When you post something on your friend's page, and then it turns out that they have their "friends posts" settings set to PUBLIC or FRIENDS OF FRIENDS, meaning that everyone on YOUR friends list was shown what you wrote!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭Leo Dowling

It gets creepy when you use your real name.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭OneArt

The fact that one can type a name into Google all of that person's information comes up is terrifying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Mance Rayder

It gets creepy as soon as you click 'Register'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

My nephew found me on Facebook and sent a friend request last year. It's not that I mind, but I don't understand how he found me when I don't even give my real surname or the county I live in. Apparently he didn't even look for me, I think my name just appeared on that 'people you may know' list. It makes me wonder am I being suggested as a friend to everyone in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭Leo Dowling

My nephew found me on Facebook and sent a friend request last year. It's not that I mind, but I don't understand how he found me when I don't even give my real surname or the county I live in. Apparently he didn't even look for me, I think my name just appeared on that 'people you may know' list. It makes me wonder am I being suggested as a friend to everyone in Ireland.

It accessed your email contacts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

when does facebook get creepy

Around 2am.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

It accessed your email contacts.
    It wasn't that. I didn't have his email address and he didn't have mine.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭red menace

OneArt wrote: »
    The fact that one can type a name into Google all of that person's information comes up is terrifying.

Nope the terrifying bit is that people don't take the time to configure their privacy settings

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭red menace

I'm guessing you have some mutual friends?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 195 ✭✭lilblackdress

You probably are to friends of friends! Facebook keeps suggesting my ex's new missus as a friend because i'm still friends on facebook with a lot of my ex's mates and so is she!

What really annoys me is that for everything else you can set it to friends only eg, only friends can see your details, search for you on Facebook etc, yet you can't change those that can actually add you from friends of friends to nobody. I want to control who adds me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 rotti oRiley

Most people don't realise that even when you close your account, it still keeps your info, including deleted photos.
    PLEASE CORRECT ME IF I'M WRONG ON THIS.

My niece told me she was FRAPED, someone wrote on her page without her permission or knowlegde......

FRAPED ====CREEPY

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,657 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Most people don't realise that even when you close your account, it still keeps your info, including deleted photos.
    PLEASE CORRECT ME IF I'M WRONG ON THIS.

My niece told me she was FRAPED, someone wrote on her page without her permission or knowlegde......

FRAPED ====CREEPY

She must have left her account logged in somewhere. That's not creepy, that's stupidity on her part.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭OhYesItIs

All depends how you manage and use it. A lot of people are unaware of or use the Privacy settings.

Facebook can be predatory. It can also be a great way of re connecting with long lost friends.

Its inevitable it's here to stay.

Makes going out in public, night clubs and the like a different experience when cameras are at hand.

When you say Jaffa cakes ? Is that mc vities or is that a euphemism for something else?

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Stinjy

Ah now its creepy as hell, but that's the fun in it, be smart about what you put up... be aware that it is public, and potentially everyone in the world can see this.... I know you don;t think liek that when posting to friends you jsut assume its like a text.. and I'm not saying everything up there I'd wat every person in the world to have hold of... and yeah I know waaaaay too much of some peoples lives. and even feel the same as some of you when you feel you know a child or a friend of a friend because you see what they're at on FB ... Just remember pictures and information all should be said face to face for there to be no tracking/ unwanted people knowing about it.. :D

red menace wrote: »
    I'm guessing you have some mutual friends?
    We do now but didn't at the time. Until he sent me the request I only had about ten friends, all of whom were people I knew from forums and chat rooms.

We both have my sisters email address. It might have something to do with that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭BunShopVoyeur

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Sister Assumpta

Oh for God's sake!

It isn't difficult to control your privacy on facebook. It's a social networking site! If you don't want to socially network, close off your facebook from outsiders or just don't join. Problem? No.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

I am not on Facebook, it's just not my thing, but these days not being on facebook is becoming creepy and weird.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

44leto wrote: »
    I am not on Facebook, it's just not my thing, but these days not being on facebook is becoming creepy and weird.
    wierdo!!!! :pac:

is jaffa cakes code for drugs or something

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Gophur

The more I hear about FB, the more I'm glad I have nothing to do with it.

Ridiculous, invasive and useless.

• Advertisement

ok i checked urbandictionary

jaffa cakes 10 up, 20 down
    Jaffa Cakes .. adult slang word for sex originating in the oldbury area of the west midlands (England)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

bluewolf wrote: »
    is jaffa cakes code for drugs or something

thats what I thought.

The makers of Jaffa Cakes had to prove scientifically that they were actually cakes and not a biscuit, because of some tax introduced in England that made biscuits more expensive, because they were classed as a luxury item, or something.

Yes, I found that in the QI book

The makers of Jaffa Cakes had to prove scientifically that they were actually cakes and not a biscuit, because of some tax introduced in England that made biscuits more expensive, because they were classed as a luxury item, or something.

Yes, I found that in the QI book

they go hard when they're stale so you know they're a cake
    biccies go soft and cakes go hard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

I just joined, only use it to send a message to my brothers in college and abroad and the odd one to a friend to see if they want to meet up. I don't like the thing though. I hate putting my information up on-line. Too much Big Brother kind of stuff for me.

Very big social revolution on the way, lots of big cultural upheavals are coming and I'm too much of a fatalist and lazy to care or wish to bother to cope all this ****e.

• Advertisement
Advertisement