Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

not allowed to take holidays for 4 months ?

Options
  • 28-01-2012 3:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi every one
    I put in for a days holiday for next month i am giving almost 1 months notice for 1 days holiday
    Boss came back to me and said im not allowed to take any holidays for the first 4 months of the year
    now i have carried over 14.hrs holidays from last year

what can i do here

where can i find out if i can take this day off ?

can my boss do this ?

Thank for reading
    any help would be great

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Yep, employers can decide when you take your leave. It's a bit crap that they're not letting you take just one day off in a month's time, but I don't know if there's a huge amount you can do.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Thanks Eoin
    its actually a medical appointment i need to attend with my wife
    Thanks for your reply

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

If it's your wife's appointment, then I don't know if that changes anything. Force Majeure leave wouldn't apply to a scheduled appointment. If it's your appointment, then that's different.

It sounds pretty unreasonable of them though, unless that's a particularly busy time at work or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭missbelle

Have you explained to your employer that it's important that you attend this appointment?
    In my job, we are encouraged not to take time off in the first three months of the year due to it being our busiest time - however if we carry forward days (at managers discretion) this must be taken before March 31st.. so as Eoin said it is up to the employer really. But most places would be able to work around this, after all it's just a once-off.

Advertisement