Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Síbín on Woodquay still open?

Options
  • 28-01-2012 3:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭

Does anyone know if An Síbín/ex-Muddy Maher's pub on Woodquay is still in business? I went there on Thursday night to find it closed - hope it was just a one-off.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Very bad location for a pub anyway.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Yeah, who puts a pub on a wooden quay?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

It's gone, closed a good while now. Only know because i pass it most evenings, was never in it, bad spot really since the town hall crowd don't go anymore.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Twas always a kip.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Lapin wrote: »
    Twas always a kip.

I've heard great stories of the good old days when it was Stagedoor, and a real hub for artists, actors etc.

The Sibin brand was only there for a short time, while the receiver worked out of there was a viable business. It closed very shortly after opening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭BeardySi

Was never successful after the demise of the Stage Door.... it was a fire that did for the place iirc...

The Stage Door is closed? Now where am I going to send the stag parties when they ask where to go here?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,482 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

The Sunday afternoon Blues gigs that used to be there are starting up again on 12th Feb in An Pucan if anyones suffering from withdrawals.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

The Sunday afternoon Blues gigs that used to be there are starting up again on 12th Feb in An Pucan if anyones suffering from withdrawals.

Would skip that place, there's one person there that is the most arrogant unfriendly person i have ever seen working in a pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

Very bad location for a pub anyway.

there are a few pubs in the Woodquay area. mcswiggans is okay. there are different nightlife spots in the city. the west end was not up to much 15 years ago and Quay street area in the eighties was not worth noting.
    i would have thought the area would take off.
    what actually happened to Muddy Mahers? wa steh name too Oirish? It seemed to play blues, which was welcome break from the twiddle dee music of other pubs.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭BhoscaCapall

Wait.. what.. I though this place was due to open soon or something. I only noticed it about a month ago and haven't seen it open once.

How long was it open for then? I swear it was still the (shut down) Stage Door up until a few months ago?

Reopened around May. Closed around October. Reopened October. Closed December.
    There is a thread somewhere from last year about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭kabakuyu

Fuinseog wrote: »
    there are a few pubs in the Woodquay area. mcswiggans is okay. there are different nightlife spots in the city. the west end was not up to much 15 years ago and Quay street area in the eighties was not worth noting.
    i would have thought the area would take off.
    what actually happened to Muddy Mahers? wa steh name too Oirish? It seemed to play blues, which was welcome break from the twiddle dee music of other pubs.

Woodquay used to be good 25 yrs ago. You had Hughes ,Stage Door,Brooklyn(for a quite one)Mc Glades and the Central Bar(later Goalpost) also Cullinanes not too far away.Times change.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭ciano1

Isn't Central bar right beside the Goalpost? 2 different pubs I think!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,421 ✭✭✭basillarkin

ciano1 wrote: »
    Isn't Central bar right beside the Goalpost? 2 different pubs I think!
    You are correct the previous poster is incorrect I don't know why people post when they are not sure of there info.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭kabakuyu

You are correct the previous poster is incorrect I don't know why people post when they are not sure of there info.

:DI have the same problem with people who cannot spell or have trouble with grammar.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

kabakuyu wrote: »
    Central Bar(later Goalpost)

The central and the goalpost are two very different hurling club watering spots pubs that happen to be right next door to each other.

Can't take to the goalpost since they did it up a few years back, too like the living room used to be. Preferred the old layout (not the pseudo retro look that kellys is since it was converted from the living room).

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I heard (from someone who was inside one of the other pubs in the neighbourhood) that there was a good bit of "hurling" going on outside there the other evening.

Nice term for it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13 dangermouse2005

To answer the original poster, An Sibin (Muddy Mahers as it was previously named) was taken over by the banks for the usual reasons.

They employed a receiver who employed another company to run it but gave it zero funding to allow for build up of trade.

I got to know the new management and staff and they were sound out. Kept the place in tip top shape, keeping all the scumbags out. Great jazz sessions on a Sunday too.

Its a shame really but then again without bums on seats/hands on pints pubs can't survive.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

JustMary wrote: »
    I heard (from someone who was inside one of the other pubs in the neighbourhood) that there was a good bit of "hurling" going on outside there the other evening.

puking or fighting - neither would be unusual for woodquay

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Its a shame really but then again without bums on seats/hands on pints pubs can't survive.

The owners in Muddy's did little to nothing in terms of promotion. Pity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 beesy27

anyone know who owns the stagedoor/muddy mahers on woodquay ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭inisboffin

beesy27 wrote: »
    anyone know who owns the stagedoor/muddy mahers on woodquay ?

The bank now I think..

Technicaly we all do. Dont think we will get any dividend from it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭emptybladder

Twas Ron Quinn before the receivership, which wasn't actually a straightforward receiver/manager situation

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Surfacezebra

Still is Ron Quinn

Advertisement