Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

posting food from ireland to australia

Options
  • 28-01-2012 3:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

can i send tins of beans(heinz) tomatoe ketchup(chef) and packets of dried curry sauce(knorr) to australia without being a problem in the austrailian customs department. would they sieze them and not forward them on to the sender? i know how strict they are with fresh produce such as fruit/veg, meat and dairy products. but just wondering what the story is with dried and canned foods....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭ellaq

They sell nearly all these products overhere. Wouldn't it be cheaper to just purchase them in Australia at the higher price than pay the crazy amount for postage. Tins of beans are heavy. Have no idea what customs would allows.

In WA the IGAs and Coles sell these products. Along with many more.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Treanor2011

can i send tins of beans(heinz) tomatoe ketchup(chef) and packets of dried curry sauce(knorr) to australia without being a problem in the austrailian customs department. would they sieze them and not forward them on to the sender? i know how strict they are with fresh produce such as fruit/veg, meat and dairy products. but just wondering what the story is with dried and canned foods....
    I sent my sister who is in Australia dry pasta ,sweets ,chocolate,packets of powder sauces ,taytos , tea I can't remember what else but it was loads of stuff cause she was living in the middle of nowhere and everything was very dear it cost 70 for postage a really big box of stuff was sent .hope this helps .

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Cooperspale

As mentioned by ellaq these products can now be found in a lot of Coles and IGA stores in most states.

If that fails and they are living in the back of Bourke, you can buy online here in Oz at

http://www.tasteireland.com.au/

The postage from Ireland would be extortionately high on heavy products.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,339 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I sent my sister who is in Australia dry pasta ,sweets ,chocolate,packets of powder sauces ,taytos , tea I can't remember what else but it was loads of stuff cause she was living in the middle of nowhere and everything was very dear it cost 70 for postage a really big box of stuff was sent .hope this helps .

What ever about irish chocolate and sweets (tayto are easy to get by the way). But dried pasta???

Far easier to get them here. I'd never get this stuff posted over. If a friend was flyign that way they might grab me a few bits anyway.
    O if my parents were sending something anyway like clothes, then they might throw in a food items.

But send beans and tomato sauce only is a bit pointless imo. Heinz beans are the standard brand in the shops here.

Mellor wrote: »

What ever about irish chocolate and sweets (tayto are easy to get by the way). But dried pasta???

Far easier to get them here. I'd never get this stuff posted over. If a friend was flyign that way they might grab me a few bits anyway.
    O if my parents were sending something anyway like clothes, then they might throw in a food items.

But send beans and tomato sauce only is a bit pointless imo. Heinz beans are the standard brand in the shops here.
    I was sending clothes as well she was living in a little village and there wasn't many shops and because she was working a lot she couldn't go to the bigger town.

• Advertisement

I get the chocolate and all.
    I was just surprised at the pasta. It has to be one of the most common foods.

I've some clothes coming from home, I can never think what foods to get added in to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Clockjordan

Hi and thanks to all that replied to my query. I didn't realise that u could get most of our more popular items of foods over there. Yes the postage fees are very expensive as I have posted the teabags over to my sister. She has just been hinting that she misses some irish grub. Must inform her of the places that has been suggested! Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭man1

Every woolworths now has an Irish section, with tayto, barrys tea, club orange, chocolate, cereals, gravys, mustards etc:)

Hi and thanks to all that replied to my query. I didn't realise that u could get most of our more popular items of foods over there. Yes the postage fees are very expensive as I have posted the teabags over to my sister. She has just been hinting that she misses some irish grub. Must inform her of the places that has been suggested! Thanks again.
    If she's in a main city there's not much point unless you wanted to send a care package I sent one to my sister it was basically a hamper I made myself for Christmas and even though she is now in a main city and could get most of the stuff it helped her a lot with homesickness .by the way I check loads of websites to check prices cause I don't like to over pay and because I sent a good bit it worked out way cheaper to buy everything myself and post it.taste of Ireland site is a rip off.

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Gregsor

man1 wrote: »
    Every woolworths now has an Irish section, with tayto, barrys tea, club orange, chocolate, cereals, gravys, mustards etc:)

Eh?..News to me.
    Not in my neck of the woods.
    The Coles has a pommy section,thats it.
    I had my first cup of barrys tea this year today,my daughters birthday box arrived with a nice gift for the auld ones:D.
    Had to take the teabag out,been so long leaving the bag in over here.
    Getting the Heinz beans English recipe in most places these days for $1 a tin and they are as good as at home,Hp sauce here replaces your Chef,just sausages,goddamn sausages,my sis is staying with us for a week from Sunday so trying to replicate a Full Irish but ain't got no white pudding or good saussies,but he Barry's will make up for it,2 teapots of it should do :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭karl bracken

Where are these Woolworths you speak of??? :D
    Marrickville and Potts Point dont have or else im walking around blind!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Yeah I am struggling to find them too ... Anyone have any locations? I assume bondi + coogee

I've never seen an irish section in the woolworths in Bondi.

Hi, ok maybe saying "every" Woolworths wasn't a correct term to use but what I meant was that every Woolworths around me has them.
    Parramatta, castlehill, kellyville, rousehill, cherrybrook, west pennant hills, hornsby, north ryde, macquarie park all have them...after that I don't know??

I just assumed that as all woolworths that I had been to had them, that all the rest did too....:)
    Maybe its just a particular area or Sydney thing or NSW, I dont know about the rest of the Country.

I don't even know if Victoria have Woolworths, I dont remember them there, isnt it safeway or safeburys or something?

Although with all the Irish in Bondi, I would have thought the Woolies there would have it too......

I'm not sure about those stores but maybe ask a shop assistant, it took me ages to find it too, it was actually by accident that I discovered it the first time. Then when I commented to the checkout girl, she said that it was there for ages...
    It is normally in the international foods aisle, along with the Japanese, Chinese, Thai, Korean, Indonesian, Dutch (yeah I know??), British, German, Swedish (not in all), Mexican, Portuguese etc sections....

Was told today by another fellow Irish lady that Barry's T'bags are available in Robina's district Woolies here on the Goldcoast,hope there is more supplies too,sis drank half my box whilst staying last week,i forgot how strong it was,i nearly took the teabag out:D

It is normally in the international foods aisle, along with the Japanese, Chinese, Thai, Korean, Indonesian, Dutch (yeah I know??), British, German, Swedish (not in all), Mexican, Portuguese etc sections....

I was aware of the british section, and some of the stuff you listed would be under the UK stuff. Chocolate, cereals, gravys, mustards would all be UK. Like Weetabix for example.

But I've never seen Tayto or club orange. Are you sure you have seen theses in Woolie and not in 7/11s, some of them have "irish crisps and sweets" in the window.
    Woolies annouced a while ago they they have arranged with taste ireland a deal to sell Tayto. Which wouldn't make sense if they were already selling them.

I'm jsut interested as anytime I've shell out for irish or UK crisps from the spelity shops, they've been a bit stale. Drinks and chocolate have been fine. Had a great Starbar last week

Yea its the club orange and Tayto id be looking for.

Got a load of stuff at xmas from taste of Ireland all crisps were in there final month before out of date, chocolate was fine, cans were fine, soda bread went off in about 3 days.
    One thing that i didnt like was the best before had a black marker through it on the sausages, rasher and pudding.
    Still tasted fine wasnt sick or anything just thought that was a bit odd, kinda felt obliged to eat it quickly because of it, no problems with that lol

Defo no Irish section in Potts point or Marrickville Wollies i know them pretty well but moved away from Potts point in Dec unless that has changed

One thing that i didnt like was the best before had a black marker through it on the sausages, rasher and pudding.
    Still tasted fine wasnt sick or anything just thought that was a bit odd, kinda felt obliged to eat it quickly because of it, no problems with that lol

The printed date would of been the original date when packaged by the butchers. Taste ireland would have to freeze the meat for delivery, which i'd assuenm is why they only deleiver meat to area close to their base. so that date wouldn't apply to the meat you get, as it could of be stored frozen for a while.

But, as it was frozen, you should prob use it pretty soon after receiving. And don't refreeze.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭alandublin33

dont post any bullfrogs/chazzwozzers , they wrecked the place in the simpsons ;)

• Advertisement

Mellor wrote: »
    The printed date would of been the original date when packaged by the butchers. Taste ireland would have to freeze the meat for delivery

Makes sense

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭crushproof

Gregsor wrote: »
    Was told today by another fellow Irish lady that Barry's T'bags are available in Robina's district Woolies here on the Goldcoast,hope there is more supplies too,sis drank half my box whilst staying last week,i forgot how strong it was,i nearly took the teabag out:D

This is excellent news, I'll be there in a flash tomorrow morning! All the Aussies are demanding I get more Barrys...cant get enough of the stuff!

crushproof wrote: »
    This is excellent news, I'll be there in a flash tomorrow morning! All the Aussies are demanding I get more Barrys...cant get enough of the stuff!

Tis tis!i'm on my second box already,only 40 bag box though and think they were $5.20 each,not bad for a weeks tea.
    Tayto were $1.80 a bag,they had Paxo and Bisto & Fry's choc bars too,yum :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

for those in Perth there's an Irish food shop in Innaloo

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭ArseBurger

pmaye24 wrote: »
    You can send a gift hamper with Tayto, cadburys, barry's tea etc. Check out this site, there are others too but I've used this one.

<snip>

<snip by mod>

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Laura Steph

Anyone know about Brisbane??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭The_Hustler

To see the Woolies which stock Club Orange, Tayto and Barry's tea, check the following link

http://www.woolworths.com.au/wps/wcm/connect/a5b228fe-a780-42c4-9a25-5503f24ea026/Website+store+list+v3.pdf?MOD=AJPERES

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭c0rk3r

I recommend you don't send chocolate items as unfortunately, they melt on the way over. Plus you can get Cadburys chocolate in woolworths and coles. My siblings used irishgoodz.com to send over carepackages. You can also use tasteofireland.com.au

Just browsing some carepackages and the jamesons alcohol bundle is simultaneously the greatest + most depressing thing ive ever seen. Throw in some figrolls and its genius

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

If you are posting things the main concern they have is with anything that contains live or viable seeds that could contaminate their unusual ecosystem.

There is a list online somewhere if you Google.

Just declare everything on the packaging. They're only protecting the ecosystem and making sure you're not sending drugs.

I'd suggest packing items so that they're examinable by customs if stopped rather than doing any crazy packaging.

Most prepacked food products shouldn't really need much extra packaging other than maybe a bit of bubble wrap.

If you're that concerned, maybe include the receipts in the pack too. Or, in a plastic pouch on the outside.

Liquids will not be accepted by An Post at all anymore so you're better off using a proper courier service like DHL, UPS, FedEx etc

I think some of those companies are also better at dealing with food etc.

The main thing I'd say is just check the full list of prohibited food items and declare it as food. Otherwise you risk it being seized.

The Irish customs are fairly tight on food items coming in too for similar reasons. I had cheese sent as a present from a France seized!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭paxo

Anyone know about Brisbane??

Try Annerley meats, Ipswich road Annerley if your on the South side. Or O'Connors Traditional Fish and Chips at 3b/229 Lutwyche Rd, Windsor if your on the North side. Both have a small stock of Irish crisps, drinks etc

Advertisement