Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Budget GFX card?

Options
  • 28-01-2012 3:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭

Currently have onboard Geforce 9100....not huge into gaming but the play the odd time, would any of the cards on Komplett for in and around the 50 euro mark be any improvement on what I have ??

Asus EAH5450
    Radeon EAH6450

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Whats the rest of your rig? Have you confirmed you have a PCIE slot and the space for a card?

If your CPU sucks, then there's no point putting a newer GPU in.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭dogpile

AMD Athlon II
    6GB DDR3
    400 watt psu
    PCI E

The onboard Geforce 9100 actually plays most game pretty well (for what I want) ....just wondering if these type cards would be much of an improvement

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

If its fast enough(say ~ 3Ghz) then it'd be worth getting something alrightish I'd say. The €50 cards you're gonna get are very bad value for money compared to the 80-100 mark. The EAH5450 etc are passively cooled compacts designed for workstations with no graphical work. If you're going to bother upgrading, get something that was designed somewhat with gaming in mind.

Best bet would be to check the bargains thread in B&U

• Registered Users Posts: 83,206 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Athlon wasn't a great generation. You can also swap out the Athlon II processor with a Phenom II to get more life out of the machine. a 3ghz PII can be got for about a hundred currently. You have to verify if you socket is AM2+ though and not simply AM2. Download Speccy.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭dogpile

Socket is AM3

tbh I'm not really interested in spending big bucks on upgrades right now, just thinking about something to improve graphics tho I know I'll probably need a higher PSU with that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83,206 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

yeah I shouldve just figured when it was DDR3 memory.

You could spend money now on it but it seems kinda wasteful to do a minor GPU upgrade. If you just want a budget card though look at something like the 6670 or 6570. Anything below that is gonna be pretty damn bleh.

Advertisement