Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Unknowingly bought a blacklisted iphone 4

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38 macbook.dan

Have tried to contact seller but having no joy,its locked to 3,so they have said to contact gardai and they will make it useable,gardai didnt really want to know.
    Anything else i can do or any suggestions?? The sellers phone is turned off

If you put a any sim in and it's still in warranty bring to an Apple Store and they will just swap it out for a new unlocked one, otherwise they will give you the option of paying €200 plus the locked iPhone for a new one, obviously if you don't tell them the real story.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

If you put a any sim in and it's still in warranty bring to an Apple Store and they will just swap it out for a new unlocked one, otherwise they will give you the option of paying €200 plus the locked iPhone for a new one, obviously if you don't tell them the real story.

They won't swap it for a new unlocked one. If it was locked to a network, they'll give you back a locked one.

whiterebel wrote: »

They won't swap it for a new unlocked one. If it was locked to a network, they'll give you back a locked one.

Nope man, got an unlocked back the other day from an Apple Store, mine was locked to 3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

Nope man, got an unlocked back the other day from an Apple Store, mine was locked to 3
    generally they send ya back one thats locked and i'm sure apple have some way of checking if a phone is blacklisted before replacing it

guil wrote: »
    generally they send ya back one thats locked and i'm sure apple have some way of checking if a phone is blacklisted before replacing it
    Not if you go to an Apple Store directly they replace it with in five minutes, it's an known flaw that they have no info on blacklisted iPhones or for example if you put a Vodafone sim in an locked o2 iPhone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 596 ✭✭✭Tinkerbell4484

Just to keep ye all updated,rang mill st garda station today and they have asked for a report from my local garda so my husband is gone to do it now, have tryed to contact him where he is still selling but he hasnt been online since 16/1,have also contacted the moderater there
    have also found him on facebook and mailed him just asking can he contact us
    thanks for all the advice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭barryd09

Not if you go to an Apple Store directly they replace it with in five minutes, it's an known flaw that they have no info on blacklisted iPhones or for example if you put a Vodafone sim in an locked o2 iPhone.

Are you sure about this? What exactly do you say? That the phone has just locked itself to no service?

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭wush06

Just to keep ye all updated,rang mill st garda station today and they have asked for a report from my local garda so my husband is gone to do it now, have tryed to contact him where he is still selling but he hasnt been online since 16/1,have also contacted the moderater there
    have also found him on facebook and mailed him just asking can he contact us
    thanks for all the advice

Tinkerbell4484 I think that's the right way of going about it. Just make sure you tell the guard that you have his name and address. Hope it all works out for you keep us all updated if you can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭culabula

That's a new one on me: their systems reveal all to them once connected to their diagnostic software.

culabula wrote: »

That's a new one on me: their systems reveal all to them once connected to their diagnostic software.

When I went in to the store she just checked the imei was in warranty and ejected the sim card put it back in and then handed me a new 4.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

When I went in to the store she just checked the imei was in warranty and ejected the sim card put it back in and then handed me a new 4.

I'd say that's a one off. I can't imagine the carriers being happy with it being that easy to circumvent the lock, especially as Apple themselves replace like with like

whiterebel wrote: »

I'd say that's a one off. I can't imagine the carriers being happy with it being that easy to circumvent the lock, especially as Apple themselves replace like with like

The only reason I knew was Cult of Mac did a thing on it before because people who had there iPhones stolen were going to Apple and there were being told the iPhones had been replaced

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭dev100

Wheres the apple store? Didnt think Apple had stores in Ireland?

dev100 wrote: »

Wheres the apple store? Didnt think Apple had stores in Ireland?

I went to the Norwich store, only one in Ireland is Belfast

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭culabula

I think it only remains in that state until it is connected once more to iTunes. In the same way that can trigger an update (or apply the correct carrier file) it also locks it once more if that is the situation vis-vis the carrier.

I think it only remains in that state until it is connected once more to iTunes. In the same way that can trigger an update (or apply the correct carrier file) it also locks it once more if that is the situation vis-vis the carrier.

I not sure I understand but I have been swapping an Irish and English sims since I got it and no hassle as of yet.

Do Apple have access to the networks' blacklists? I wouldn't think so. They'd know it's SIM locked but not necessarily blacklisted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 dasm2003

Hi I am new to this unsure if i should post here?

But i recently bought an Iphone 4 which I have been told is now blacklisted by 3, but as I am not the registered owner they refuse to give me any help? does anybody know if this would just be blocked in Ireland or worldwide? tks :)

dasm2003 wrote: »
    Hi I am new to this unsure if i should post here?

But i recently bought an Iphone 4 which I have been told is now blacklisted by 3, but as I am not the registered owner they refuse to give me any help? does anybody know if this would just be blocked in Ireland or worldwide? tks :)
    It will be blacklisted on any Irish network but probably not abroad. There have been plans for a number of years to increase the scope of this but it hasn't happened yet. So even if it works now it may not in future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 dasm2003

There are some old threads about sending the phone back to apple and them replacing it, does this work?

• Advertisement
Advertisement