Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

No Longer A Pioneer

• 28-01-2012 4:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭

Well I finally drank my first beer tonight at the ripe aul age of 25, Had 4 and didnt really have any effect on me, Which kinda isnt what I was expecting, I thought Id have a serious buzz, Would I still have had a good night without it yes, Would I have scored without it yes, So all in all I realised I dont really need to drink when Im out, But I could if I wanted to. Didnt really like the taste either but I figure its a taste you have to get used to, Must add I did alternate between beer and 7 up cause I didnt want to get drunk so possibly why nothing happened

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

How much did you drink and over how long a time frame?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

4 pints, with a glass of 7up in between each, wouldn't really have much of an effect to be honest.

If you want to get drunk to feel a bit of a 'buzz', drink more, but if you can happily have a good night out without drinking, then don't waste your money.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭ThinkAboutIt

Alcohol is only for people with no personality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

astonaidan wrote: »
    Well I finally drank my first beer tonight at the ripe aul age of 25, Had 4 and didnt really have any effect on me, Which kinda isnt what I was expecting, I thought Id have a serious buzz, Would I still have had a good night without it yes, Would I have scored without it yes, So all in all I realised I dont really need to drink when Im out, But I could if I wanted to. Didnt really like the taste either but I figure its a taste you have to get used to, Must add I did alternate between beer and 7 up cause I didnt want to get drunk so possibly why nothing happened

Try it without the coke you will get drunk faster.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭TanG411

You don't need drink to have fun, OP. Hope you weren't forced into drinking it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

Alcohol is only for people with no drugs.

FYP

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭dmc17

SafeSurfer wrote: »
    Try it without the coke you will get drunk faster.

He wasn't taking coke. It was 7up ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

No personality? Didn't think that was possible..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭mongdesade

Try some of the higher ABV Belgian ales like 'Duvel'...nice for sipping at a relaxed pace

"Please drink responsibly" ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,716 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I dont blame you for not liking the taste of beer. I never liked it and couldnt get used to it. I drink cider and think its a really nice drink. No point paying money for something you dont like, its expensive enough as it is.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

I dont blame you for not liking the taste of beer. I never liked it and couldnt get used to it.

Same here, don't like the taste of most beers on the market here in Ireland, like a good German wheat beer but that's about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

Stay a pioneer if you don't have drink to enjoy yourself don't, most Irish people have to drink to enjoy themselves, its our curse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

See this self-rightiousness is why I dont tell people I dont drink. Sure they find out but I am no better than them because im not having a gargle and you are much less than them because of your idiotic point of view.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

Ive always drank for the taste to be honest. Dont drink that much beer anymore in Ireland (except for micro brewery produced offerings) but tend to drink wine or something else. German or Belgian Beer is lovely but its hard to get that in a pub. Don't see the point of just swallowing liquid for the sake of swallowing liquid. :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,311 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Had 4 and didnt really have any effect on me, Which kinda isnt what I was expecting, I thought Id have a serious buzz,

<SNIP>

Must add I did alternate between beer and 7 up cause I didnt want to get drunk so possibly why nothing happened
    So you drank 7up so you wouldn't get drunk, and then didn't know why you didn't get drunk? :pac:

I figure its a taste you have to get used to
    Eh, no. You drink different drinks until you find one you like. I'd advise you get a stout, a beer, a cider, and a whiskey at an off-license, and see which one you prefer...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭seanbmc

See this self-rightiousness is why I dont tell people I dont drink. Sure they find out but I am no better than them because im not having a gargle and you are much less than them because of your idiotic point of view.

I hate people who don't drink and think they are superior to people who do, nothing worse than someone being a buzz killington when out drinking with your friends.

Though not all the people I know who don't drink are like this, they are just as much fun as the people who are drinking.

Originally Posted by ThinkAboutIt viewpost.gif

Or a very shy personality, a lot do drink to overcome their social inhibitions, some like Raj in the BB Theory can't even talk to the opposite sex without being half pissed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

mongdesade wrote: »
    Try some of the higher ABV Belgian ales like 'Duvel'...nice for sipping at a relaxed pace

"Please drink responsibly" ;)

Gotta love the Belgian beer culture. Relax, have a nice strong beer, sip away, lovely.

Try to do the same in Ireland and you'd get slagged just for the shape of the glasses.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Have you lost the auld virginity yet op?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

44leto wrote: »
    Stay a pioneer if you don't have drink to enjoy yourself don't, most Irish people have to drink to enjoy themselves, its our curse.

Nobody is forcing them! :confused:

It's a not a curse - it's a habit.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

Sober guys going out to drinking emporiums looking to score with drunk women is pretty creepy imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,151 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I don't know how anyone in Ireland can afford to get pissed, if they're not earning more than €100K a year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭seanbmc

ejmaztec wrote: »
    I don't know how anyone in Ireland can afford to get pissed, if they're not earning more than €100K a year.

Ah now.

You can afford to get pissed on the dole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

You're obviously a heavy drinker then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,151 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

seanbmc wrote: »
    Ah now.

You can afford to get pissed on the dole.

Perhaps on dole day, and providing that you don't have to waste money buying unnecessary items like food for the week.

Nobody is forcing them! :confused:

It's a not a curse - it's a habit.

Nobody is forcing anyone to smoke, that is a curse and a habit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,938 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

same. it's that poxy attitude that when people do find out that i don't drink, they think i'm going to have a holier that thou attitude. to be honest, as long as you're not a prick, i couldn't care less what you do.

on the other hand, i was listening to karl spain on moncreiff yesterday. he hasn't had alcohol in about 7 years, and he said that when people find out he doesn't drink anymore, they say things along the lines of 'we have to get you drunk then' to which he replies "i'm celibate too"
    thought that was excellent. may steal that line!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

This

• Closed Accounts Posts: 638 ✭✭✭flanders1979

4 pints, by american standards he is an alcoholic.
    He better get his ass to rehab.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

Acoshla, ThinksAmoral, up for anything

Your three friends are here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

I know most people in Ireland dont realise this but one doesnt need to be a member of a wierd religious outfit in order to to not drink alcohol you know ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

bleg wrote: »
    Gotta love the Belgian beer culture. Relax, have a nice strong beer, sip away, lovely.

Try to do the same in Ireland and you'd get slagged just for the shape of the glasses.

This has actually happened to me more than once!

Mike 1972 wrote: »
    I know most people in Ireland dont realise this but one doesnt need to be a member of a wierd religious outfit in order to to not drink alcohol you know ?
    Small people need fancy titles :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Wattle

seanbmc wrote: »
    I hate people who don't drink and think they are superior to people who do, nothing worse than someone being a buzz killington when out drinking with your friends.

Though not all the people I know who don't drink are like this, they are just as much fun as the people who are drinking.

I dont drink but I dont think I'm superior to anyone. Its just that when you are sober drunk people are a pain in the arse. Sorry but they are.

If I'm with people who are intent on getting drunk I only stay for a little bit and then let them get on with it. No buzz killington just don't get me involved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭ciano1

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

Wattle wrote: »
    I dont drink but I dont think I'm superior to anyone. Its just that when you are sober drunk people are a pain in the arse. Sorry but they are..

Actually in the early stages of drunkeness they can be quite entertaining but quickly become a pain in the arse only tolerable to people who are also a pain in the arse.

Like most drugs it makes one talk more without realising (or caring) that its absolute shyte that theyre talking.

All drugs are over-rated to some extent but alcohol particularly so.

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭RussellTuring

OP, while it's great that you feel confident in your ability to score while sober, some people don't and one way to alleviate this is to drink. I rarely drink but when I do it doesn't make me more confident but it does make me more talkative than usual. I'd also consider it sleazy to pick up someone drunk if you're sober.

The thread is entitled "No Longer A Pioneer".

A drunk mans words are a sober mans thoughts. Thus you only truly know a man when hes drunk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

what do you want? a medal???????

I don't know any other and its not like you become a member of a cult and give up your family and half your income. You just make a vow not to drink. To me if I did choose to join it would be more symbolic.

Not that this is the thread for it but I am so comfortable with my non-believer status that I could pay lip service to any religion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,481 ✭✭✭✭cson

4 pints, by american standards he is an alcoholic.
    He better get his ass to rehab.

4 pints, by Irish standards he's a light weight.

He better get his ass back to the pub.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

See this self-rightiousness is why I dont tell people I dont drink. Sure they find out but I am no better than them because im not having a gargle

+1.

I don't drink because I personally don't like it. That doesn't make me better than anyone else - it's just I have different tastes!

I think the Pioneer movement is part of the problem: being related to the Church, they're seen as having a "holier-than-thou" attitude. Irish people tend to use the words "pioneer" and "non-drinker" synonymously (very few people outside Ireland know what "pioneer" means in that context) even though many (most?) non-drinkers are not Pioneers. It drives me mental when one of my friends keeps calling me a Pioneer, because I'm not - I'm just someone who doesn't like the taste/effect of alcohol!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

Do other countries use the word pioneer to describe people who do not drink alcohol? Just asking like. I'm not looking for a fight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

You'll go clean man now. This time next year you'll be banging at the back door of the early house at 9 in the morning :D

kincsem wrote: »
    Do other countries use the word pioneer to describe people who do not drink alcohol? Just asking like. I'm not looking for a fight.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pioneer_Total_Abstinence_Association

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

kincsem wrote: »
    they call em 'tea-total'ers, they totally drink tea

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

BBDBB wrote: »
    what do you want? a medal???????
    i think he has to hand it back actually...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

What prompted the change OP?

But as our wise young Birmingham correspondent said earlier, if you don't need it and can have a good time without it, then save your money.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

bleg wrote: »

Gay Beer!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

TheZohan wrote: »
    How much did you drink and over how long a time frame?
    4 pints over 2 hours with a 7up after 2 drinks
    You don't need drink to have fun, OP. Hope you weren't forced into drinking it.
    Yeah I always realised that, Nah the guy I was watching the game with didnt realise i didnt drink and bought it for me I got sick of expalining to people so drank it
    Thats how Ive always felt, Ive never needed it and I dont think I will, But I know now I can drink responsible
    the_syco wrote: »
    So you drank 7up so you wouldn't get drunk, and then didn't know why you didn't get drunk? :pac:
    Well I didnt want to get wasted but all I here people talking bout is the buzz feeling they get, Since it was my first time thought itd have more effect

Eh, no. You drink different drinks until you find one you like. I'd advise you get a stout, a beer, a cider, and a whiskey at an off-license, and see which one you prefer...
    Always thought myself a Bud guy, But that could be just so I can say "Watching the game having a bud":pac:
    Stinicker wrote: »
    Have you lost the auld virginity yet op?
    Christ hold your horses, Baby steps, I need to be drunk before I can talk to girls:p
    jayteecork wrote: »
    Sober guys going out to drinking emporiums looking to score with drunk women is pretty creepy imo.
    Haha no, Ive a rule where I will never pull a girl whos drunk
    What prompted the change OP?

But as our wise young Birmingham correspondent said earlier, if you don't need it and can have a good time without it, then save your money.
    Just got sick of explaining I dont drink, Seems its alot easier just to drink a little

• Advertisement
Advertisement