Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom's NGB migration: Time.

• 28-01-2012 5:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭

So got the letter in the post yesterday. Our area is in line for an NGB upgrade, thank god. I went onto their website, checked the NGB map and I'm in an orange coded part, meaning it's enabled or its being migrated to. This is fantastic news, as I've been dwindling by on a line thats getting worse every year, (down to 16kb/s now, rendering flash heavy websites almost unaccessible at times). They said you'd be emailed when you've been upgraded, but I was wondering, maybe from people who have gotten the NGB upgrade already, what the timespan is like, a few weeks, months, next year? Most of the colours on the map have a timescale, but the orange didn't, so I was just curious about the time, and unless I missed it on the website, I can't be sure.

Sorry if this isn't thread worthy, but I'm sure I can't be the only one curious/excited about the spreading out of NGB.

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

I'd imagine it will be within a couple of months but just be aware that NGB is still only as good as the line it is on. It doesn't magically make poor lines better able to carry a higher speed.

Plenty of people up and down the country are on NGB, but still have 1Mb or 2Mb lines - it just means the backhaul link isn't contended from the exchange meaning whatever connection you get to the exchange should be preserved as far as the internet.

In short - if you have a crap line now, and it's crap all the time, then that's not contention, that's a poor line and NGB only deals with contention.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭arctan

as above, my line is absolute pants, always has been, a DSL test says only 1.8 Megs max... lucky to get 1.6 even though the area is 8meg NGB ...

• Registered Users Posts: 23 crysis1977

when i got the letter it toke about a week to be turned on,and all my line could take was 1mbs and when switched over i now get 7.97mbs or some times 8 at all times.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

crysis1977 wrote: »
    when i got the letter it toke about a week to be turned on,and all my line could take was 1mbs and when switched over i now get 7.97mbs or some times 8 at all times.

WOW! That's mental! You're the last straw I have to clutch with my internet. I've just tested with something ShiverinEskimo advised, but Im still down in the 0.10mb range, which disgusts me. There's obviously something seriously wrong with my cables, or something outside of my house that I can't control. I just don't know anymore. I guess I'll have to ring eircom and see what they think, or else if im lucky ill fall victim to these wire stealing thieves that are looking for copper, where I'm guarenteed new lines/cables. Yes, I'm that desperate.

Hoping for the best :(

Advertisement