Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Files on memory key are not visible. Systemscheck.exe may be responsible

• 28-01-2012 5:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I have a problem, and I'm hoping against hope that somebody might know how to help me.

Earlier this week, I was online, and I got a virus, which I think is called SystemCheck. It kept prompting me to run a .exe file of this name anyway. I did not allow it to run, and the PC instantly came down with dozens of problems. It was pretending to be a Microsoft product, logo and all, and said that the hard drive was failing, RAM was at capacity, and all kinds of things, with about a hundred error windows appearing at the same time, all of which I closed.

This happened on an old PC which I was just about to recycle and replace anyway, so I dont really care about curing the problem on the old base unit, but the big problem is with some files that I ripped off just in time (i thought) onto a memory key. The files are jpegs only.

I bought a new PC today, and the first thing I did was install Bullguard antivirus. I put the memory key in, and while the folders are visible, when you look inside it, the files are not there. However, when I ran the Bullguard on the memory key, and the files I copied off of it, it seemed to be able to see them, as the results screen showed how many files and what amount of data it had scanned, and it was about right with what should be on the key. It found no virus on the folders or the key.

Does anybody have an idea as to how I can get visibility of these files again?

I feel like a muppet, as I regularly do backups to two external HDD's, but this fecking time I hadnt since before Christmas. I'm an amateur photographer, and if I lose these files, I lose two months worth of work, which involves me driving all over the country :(

Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭KonFusion

The files may be hidden for some reason?

Try this:

Start button
    Select Control Panel
    Clicking Appearance and Personalization
    And then click Folder Options.
    Click the View tab.
    Under Advanced settings, click Show hidden files and folders, and then click OK.

EDIT:

This article may help http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic405109.html

It explains what is most likely your problem:
    As part of the infection process, this family of rogues will change the attributes of all the files on your computer's fixed hard disks so that they are hidden (+H). It will then change your Windows configuration to make it so that you do not see hidden files or hidden system files. By doing this, the rogue attempts to make you think that all of your files have been deleted in the hopes that this will trick you into purchasing the program in order to recover your files.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭Archeron

KonFusion, you are a scholar :D

I cannot thank you enough for that advice,thats exactly what had happened!! You rock :D

Advertisement