Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overdue bills not in my name

Options
  • 26-01-2012 9:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

OK so, we've been living in a house for the past 14months and never paid a gas bill, I thought i had been connected when first moved in as i had contacted them, but then i never got a bill. we are receiving ovedue bills to another name but we're still not being cut off. So if/when something does happen will we just be cut off as it isnt in my name we just can pay the reconnetion fee? thats what im hoping. i dont see why they havent disconnected us.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Icepick

AOM85 wrote: »
    So if/when something does happen will we just be cut off as it isnt in my name we just can pay the reconnetion fee? thats what im hoping. i dont see why they havent disconnected us.
    You should also pay the arrears, unless you are a liar and a thief.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,400 ✭✭✭✭Victor

You may have committed a number of offences under the Postal Acts, Gas Acts and Fraud & Theft Acts.

You need to talk to your gas supplier.

You need to return the bills you have in your possession, marking them "return to sender, person gone away"

You need to pay for the gas you have used.

UYou may also be in breach of your lease and the amount for the gas will be deducted from your deposit when you move out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

I would imagine they will attempt to determine how long you have been living there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

Assuming you know these letters to another person are overdue bills because you opened them, then the fault is largely with yourself. You've been there over a year, most of these overdue bills are entirely your own usage. Obviously a simple mistake was made where by they did not change the name, but that does not change the fact that you used it. Your landlord/lady will be able to provide proof of how long you have been renting with them, and you will be liable for those bills. I advise you ring the suppliers now and get this sorted, before you are liable for previous bills AND the reconnection fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭shangri la

this is the answer to your actual question

you wont get away with it because the bills are not in your name. Whenever your landlord discovers this the **** will hit the fan. Start saving before that happens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

OK so, we've been living in a house for the past 14months and never paid a gas bill, I thought i had been connected when first moved in as i had contacted them, but then i never got a bill. we are receiving ovedue bills to another name but we're still not being cut off. So if/when something does happen will we just be cut off as it isnt in my name we just can pay the reconnetion fee? thats what im hoping. i dont see why they havent disconnected us.

When they cut you off and you're arguing that the other person is liable etc etc are you prepared to live very cold and hungry with no gas?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭housetypeb

shangri la wrote: »
    this is the answer to your actual question

you wont get away with it because the bills are not in your name. Whenever your landlord discovers this the **** will hit the fan. Start saving before that happens.

The landlord won't care as long as the bill is NOT in his name, The name on the bill is the person that legally owes the money.

housetypeb wrote: »
    The landlord won't care as long as the bill is NOT in his name, The name on the bill is the person that legally owes the money.

I'd argue that the person who used the gas owes the money.

• Site Banned Posts: 148 ✭✭franciebellew

Don't pay anymore than u have to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 947 ✭✭✭zef

You've been living there 14 months and using the gas in someone elses name?
    And now seems you 'are hoping' to get away with this.
    Would you like someone running up a years gas in yr name & reading yr bills?
    And it's 'their fault' as they have not disconnected you ? *sigh*

• Advertisement

amdublin wrote: »
    I'd argue that the person who used the gas owes the money.

True- but the supplier goes by the name on the bill,as far as they're concerned that's who owes them money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

Are you actually hoping that you don't have to pay for the gas you've used because it isn't in your name?

What is wrong with people

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

True- but the supplier goes by the name on the bill,as far as they're concerned that's who owes them money.

Im fairly sure that might hold up for a month or two, but if they get in contact with the previous tenant and learn that they moved out 14 months ago, and that the current tenant knows this and has not been paying their gas bill, Im fairly certain the gas company will be going after the current tenant and not the previous one.

The OP has choices-
    He can take a meter reading,ring the gas people and say he just moved in and pay from that point forward, the supplier will chase the other guy for money owed and fcuk up his credit report.
    Or
    He can move to another house,and start over,still fcuking up the other guy though.
    Or
    He can ring the gas company,explain what happened and work with them to pay off what he owes,maybe so much per month etc,until the bill is cleared.

Will anybody be surprised by what he chooses,I wonder.

djimi wrote: »
    Im fairly sure that might hold up for a month or two, but if they get in contact with the previous tenant and learn that they moved out 14 months ago, and that the current tenant knows this and has not been paying their gas bill, Im fairly certain the gas company will be going after the current tenant and not the previous one.

The supplier can only go after the name on the bill-they can't know or care what agreements(if any) might be in place between the previous tenant and the new tenant,
    All they have is the name on the bill which the previous tenant signed up to.

The OP has choices-
    He can take a meter reading,ring the gas people and say he just moved in and pay from that point forward, the supplier will chase the other guy for money owed and fcuk up his credit report.
    Or
    He can move to another house,and start over,still fcuking up the other guy though.
    Or
    He can ring the gas company,explain what happened and work with them to pay off what he owes,maybe so much per month etc,until the bill is cleared.

Will anybody be surprised by what he chooses,I wonder.

I don't think the first two choices should be advised as choices as they would be lying to the gas company i.e. Fraud.

Op why did you not start thinking about this earlier than at 14 months :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6 AOM85

Its a stupid situation really, I'm calling the gas people tomorrow and paying it off, i couldn't let it to that other person, I just couldn't stomach it. I'm now hoping that i can call them set up a payment plan that i can afford, cant believe i let it get this far. I wonder will they let me only pay for what i owe. uck!

Its a stupid situation really, I'm calling the gas people tomorrow and paying it off, i couldn't let it to that other person, I just couldn't stomach it. I'm now hoping that i can call them set up a payment plan that i can afford, cant believe i let it get this far. I wonder will they let me only pay for what i owe. uck!

Talk to them and see what is best option. See if they will accept a payment plan.

What you owe is what you've used I.e. 14 months :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 947 ✭✭✭zef

Fair play OP
    Better dealing with it now, and working out a payment plan. they have heard worse, don't worry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Mickey Dazzler

Well at least be honest with us. You're trying to pull a fast one and get away without paying for 14months worth of gas.

To be honest with you I would have no problem doing what your doing. But just to be clear you are stealing.

Anyway i was a tenant myself before and am now a landlord, I can can tell you that the person who's name is on the bill owes the money. The landlord won't careless as he won't be liable either way.

unlike what some people on here would lead you to believe the gas company are not the CIA and done have the means to "track" people to the ends of the earth. This stuff happens ALL the time and the write these bills off.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

Well at least be honest with us. You're trying to pull a fast one and get away without paying for 14months worth of gas.

To be honest with you I would have no problem doing what your doing. But just to be clear you are stealing.

Anyway i was a tenant myself before and am now a landlord, I can can tell you that the person who's name is on the bill owes the money. The landlord won't careless as he won't be liable either way.

unlike what some people on here would lead you to believe the gas company are not the CIA and done have the means to "track" people to the ends of the earth. This stuff happens ALL the time and the write these bills off.
    And that puts up the price of gas for everyone else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭cork_buoy

Don't stress over this at all. Yes, you were a total slacker not to deal with the issue earlier. I would take a guess that we're talking about the bones of 1k worth of bills which will put a burdon of about 80 odd per month if you want to clear it within 12 months which is considerable. If I was in your shoes I'd try to negotiate a repayment schedule over a 2 year period which would be less than €10 a week. When you can, you can pay back a little more to pay it off faster.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,400 ✭✭✭✭Victor

The landlord won't careless as he won't be liable either way.
    Actually, the landlord will care if the supply is cut off and a reconnection fee applies
    unlike what some people on here would lead you to believe the gas company are not the CIA and done have the means to "track" people to the ends of the earth.
    It will become an issue if you try to get a supply from them in the future.

It is stealing, I'm such a gob****e for not having the balls to complete the crime, that's the last time I'm gonna try be sneaky..ha ha...Life lessons...sigh

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭shangri la

Did you ring them? Huh, did you?:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭Marcanthony

I had this issue.I sold a property and took the meter readings with the new owner and due to the fact he had a young child and it was in the winter .I left it to him to transfere the name on bill and declare the reading.

However approx 1.5 years later I moved into a new property and called board gais to turn myself on and they looked for previous details of me. I got a bill for a couple of grand of them. I called them about this and they said it was for the property I had sold. To cut a long story short the bill was still in my name. So I told them to clamp the meter (on there advice) and close that account.

It took numberous phone calls ect, To get it sorted . However after providing them with evidence from the date of sale and the last bill I had paid. They agreed it was not my bill.However from the sale contracts they knew who did own the bill.

Now I dont know what happened with the other lad. Other than he would have to pay a reconnection fee and most likly the balance on his account before they turned him back on. Plus the fact that the cooking appliances where gas. So no heating or cooking, while his issue was been sorted.

I rang them, I had to open a new account. He really didn't seem to bothered about the whole outstanding bill thing. I said I'd try find the meter reading for when we moved in so I could pay what I owe. The other girl would be caught if she joins them again. But ya, its all good I think anyway

Advertisement