Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert Help!!!!

• 28-01-2012 5:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

Hi

I am a 16 year old from Waterford area in 5th year and I really need your help. First of all I got a very good result in my JC and that was fine but the problem now is my LC.

Currently I am studying
    Physics
    Chemistry
    Biology
    Spanish
    Maths
    English
    LCVP. In school

They are all higher level apart from LCVP which has no higher level. As you might have noticed there is no Irish in that list of subjects and this is because I am exempt Irish on the grounds that I came to Ireland after the age of 10. Maths is my weakest subjects and physics is maths so thats about two subjects ill struggle to get good grades. My strongest subject is English and no matter how good I do in English it woun't replace how bad I am at Spanish. LCVP only offers about maximum of 70 points so I decided to take in extra two subjects which I did well in my JC. They are :

Religion
    Geography

But the problem now is that I am studying this two from home. I have spoken to my friends and they have told me that it would be very hard but I don't really have a choice as if I don't take these extra subjects I am not sure ill even make 300 points. As this is my first time studying from home I don't know what to do and how to go about it ill need a lot of help but I don't know where to get any. Some people say 9 subjects is too much for Leaving Cert but I think LCVP doesn't have much studying involved, I am however not sure about this as I haven't done my LC before so please I need some advice and feedback as I am really confused and need to start studying for my LC if its not too late already.so if anyone has done any of these subjects before pls help confused.giffrown.gif

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 217 ✭✭snoreborewhore

First of all, relax. You're in fifth year, you've a long way ahead of you. Of course you're going to be confused, you've just left 3rd or 4th year and a lot of the courses are new, so you're in the exact same boat as everyone else in your year.
    Have you considered getting maths grinds? Seeing as there's 25 extra points for maths now, you can scrape a c3 and still get 85 points (equivalent of a B1 in any other subject) And I don't know much about physics, but I'm sure that if you seek help for maths, your physics will imrove substantially as well?
    Personally, I wouldn't bother with the two other subjects, one maybe, but not two. You'd be spreading yourself too thin for someone who needs work in certain mandatory subjects. Geography would definately be a better subject to study at home, I've heard religion requires a lot of work and can often be more difficult than expected.
    Hope that helped! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭annettea

Hiya I did my LC a couple of years ago.. do not worry dont stress yourself out.. Geography is a good subject because you do a journal so you basically have 20% going into the exam.. Talk to the teachers and see if you can swap subjects., I did that when I was in 4th year (5th year to you) The LC isnt the end of the world. I had a stressful year so I did all Pass and went and did a PLC and now Im a pre-school teacher but later on in life I hope to be a primary school teacher :) .. There are other ways to get into your dream course, like doing PLC or doing an Arts course, if you dont have enough points to do Arts than you can do an access course to get into Arts etc. it only takes a year extra.. the leaving cert is not the end of the world :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

maninneed wrote: »
    Currently I am studying
    Physics
    Chemistry
    Biology
    Spanish
    Maths
    English
    LCVP. In school

Maths is my weakest subjects and physics is maths so thats about two subjects ill struggle to get good grades.

My strongest subject is English and no matter how good I do in English it woun't replace how bad I am at Spanish.

Is there any way you could do something else aside from physics in school? What other classes are on that time? 9 subjects is a lot especially if you don't think you'll do well in them...putting a lot of work into something just to get a pass in it is pointless if you can drop it and put the time into something you can do much better in.

If you had Chemistry, Biology, English and Geography (if you could swap into it) as your strong school subjects, Religion outside of it, and LCVP, would you feel confident enough about getting the points you need with that combination? You would then have Maths and Spanish fulfilling your college requirements.

Higher Maths is very time consuming but because of the bonus points its well worth it. If you think you can't pass it or the time put into it will be too much though, it might be best to drop to pass and put your time into the others if you're going to take on 8/9 subjects.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 maninneed

thank you all for your replies ....@QueenOfLeon but I can't drop physics as I need it to become a pilot and I already tried to swap physics for art as I got an A in art for my JC but the school says its not possible and I also tried to do religion in school during my exempt Irish class but the deputy principal woun't allow it and the class is often too rowdy to sturdy... @snoreborewhore yes I have heard the same as well they can be unespected but ive also had a browse through the exam papers for religion and to be honest I dont know what to make of it but I do love geography and find it quite easy to sturdy.....@annettea when you say u swaped subjects in 4th year what do you mean? and I wana start studying now especially as I plan on doing more than 7 subjects so that I can spread them evenly out over the two years and even during my summer! I know 8/9 subjects might be a bit stressful but If I manage to spread them evenly out over my remaining time in 5th year and 6th year even my summer holidays it shouldn't be that bad.

When I put my mind to things I believe I can achieve a fairly good grades on all subjects I am one of those people that if they don't study they still know enough to pass but I do try to study often except there is just so much distractions starting from phones to my siblings and nuisance friends visiting etc its really hard to put my head down :(:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭CookieMonster.x

maninneed wrote: »
    Hi

I am a 16 year old from Waterford area in 5th year and I really need your help. First of all I got a very good result in my JC and that was fine but the problem now is my LC.

Currently I am studying
    Physics
    Chemistry
    Biology
    Spanish
    Maths
    English
    LCVP. In school

They are all higher level apart from LCVP which has no higher level. As you might have noticed there is no Irish in that list of subjects and this is because I am exempt Irish on the grounds that I came to Ireland after the age of 10. Maths is my weakest subjects and physics is maths so thats about two subjects ill struggle to get good grades. My strongest subject is English and no matter how good I do in English it woun't replace how bad I am at Spanish. LCVP only offers about maximum of 70 points so I decided to take in extra two subjects which I did well in my JC. They are :

Religion
    Geography

But the problem now is that I am studying this two from home. I have spoken to my friends and they have told me that it would be very hard but I don't really have a choice as if I don't take these extra subjects I am not sure ill even make 300 points. As this is my first time studying from home I don't know what to do and how to go about it ill need a lot of help but I don't know where to get any. Some people say 9 subjects is too much for Leaving Cert but I think LCVP doesn't have much studying involved, I am however not sure about this as I haven't done my LC before so please I need some advice and feedback as I am really confused and need to start studying for my LC if its not too late already.so if anyone has done any of these subjects before pls help confused.giffrown.gif
    Do you need to do LCVP? I mean if you're doing 7 subjects including LCVP and you don't think you can get 300 points then I would consider dropping LCVP if you can. What do you do in Irish class? In my school people who don't do Irish just do homework. You could do homework in Irish leaving more time to study at home.
    My advice would be to work at what you have. An extra subject is quite time consuming. Would you be getting grinds? Unless you are really dedicated I'd say it would be hard to sit down and study a book when you've no teacher for guidance/tests etc.
    If you really really want to do an extra subject I would choose geography seeing as you have an interest in it. Or if you took on both maybe drop a subject to ordinary level.
    And also, make sure you don't spend all your time studying, you will need a break!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭annettea

hi
    i dropped chemistry as i found it hard and time consuming, and geography was on at the same time so i went and did geography.. :) geography was great because i had 20% done before i went into the exam..
    you sound like you have too many subject so if I was you id drop the subject you dont actually need for what you want to do in the future :) and just do 6 subjects and lcvp its important to keep a language as most colleges want a language.. dont put yourself under stress and trust me you might have a great plan studying over summer but more than likely it probably wont work out :) there are other ways to get into your desired course.. :)

Advertisement