Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mater Dei - Eng and Rel

• 28-01-2012 6:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17

Hey, I'm in Leaving Cert at the moment and hoping to do English and Religion in Mater Dei. I have a huge interest in English but worry that I'm not that good at it. Do I have to have a high standard? Should I be really interested in reading literature and poetry etc.. I haven't studied religion as an exam subject, ever. I don't have a huge interest in doing it but I don't think it would be too much of problem, or should I? Anyone have any ideas on price of accommodation, where to stay etc? And although this sounds shallow, is there many lads in the college or is it all girls? (I've heard it's like a convent :/) What's the nightlife like? Any info is appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Why would you want to do a degree in a subject you have no interest in? Why not just go and do an Arts degree and pick a subject you are interested in along with English?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 me_at

I would. I'm putting Arts down but I really don't have €9000 to spend on a hdip I probably won't get at the end of the day.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

me_at wrote: »
    ... I probably won't get at the end of the day.
    Ach, sprachen sie cliches?

Ich liebe clichés.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

me_at wrote: »
    I would. I'm putting Arts down but I really don't have €9000 to spend on a hdip I probably won't get at the end of the day.

How do you know that? It's a bit defeatist. It just seems daft doing a subject for 3 or 4 years that you have no interest in, that you could end up teaching for the rest of your life. You'd also be better off with two core subjects. I know religion is taught in every school but it's not always taught by qualified teachers. Not saying that's right but you don't see many ads for religion teachers.

• Advertisement

H.dip's are seriously impossible to get into and on top of it you have to pay fees. They're also planning on raising it from one year to two years. It's not that I have absolutely no interest in teaching Religion but I would rather do another subject, I agree. Two core subjects would be handy but there is nowhere I can get a teaching degree with English and something else reliable other than P.E but points are outrageous. You could say that about any degree. Are there job prospects with anything nowadays?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 647 ✭✭✭Terri26

They are considering changing the Mater Dei course into a five year course, The course us at least 50:50 so you would have to have an interest in religion. It is mainly females who attend and has a secondary school feel rather than a university, that however can be a plus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 277 ✭✭UnLuckyAgain

Terri26 wrote: »
    They are considering changing the Mater Dei course into a five year course, The course us at least 50:50 so you would have to have an interest in religion. It is mainly females who attend and has a secondary school feel rather than a university, that however can be a plus.

Correct - all teaching qualifications are being extended (H.Dip from 1 to 2 years, B.Ed 3 to 4 years etc) so you won't be able to 'escape' the change any which way you look at it. It's bad enough doing something you don't like for 3 or 4 years in university but imagine having to do it for the rest of your career. I'd make sure to look at all of the options!

Thank you so much for the info. Yeah, I'm trying to look at and weigh up all my options. I definitely want to teach but doing a H.dip doesn't look like an option with the fees. Do you know if I'd definitely have to do the 5 year course if it comes in or would it be for the following year? They'd have to tell us before we take the course?

definitely wanting to teach and wanting to teach religion are not the same thing. Religion is difficult to teach as students have an apathetic view (quite like your own) toward it. Do you think you could study something for 4/5 years if you aren't bothered about it now?
    Is the only reason you are chosing Mater Dei so you don't have to do the PDE?

• Advertisement

To clarify, I never said I didn't want to teach Religion, I said I don't have a huge interest in it. I would rather study and teach something I am more interested in, yes. Yeah, the main reason I would choose Mater Dei is because it has the concurrent teacher education but I'm also thinking about it as it seems like a small, tight-knit college and that really appeals to me. Like you said a 'secondary school feel'?

That is my point exactly. Why would you study a subject for 4/5 years that you do not have an interest in and then teach it for 30 years? what about science, science and p.e, p.e, home econ, work etc. All of those are concurrent. You need to do something you find interesting not the easy way out otherwise you are in more danger of dropping out

Yeah that's true and I am trying to look at all options for the future. I'm aiming to get P.E and English in U.L and Cork but points are high (looking at 500) which is most likely too high for me. I've put it down. I've no interest in Science Education or Home Ec either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

There are little or no jobs in teaching at the moment and I haven't seen many religion or English advertised. Usually the advice is avoid English if you can because there is a perceived surplus. Religion is worse in that it is not an exam subject in all schools and this is very unlikely to change. You may pay far more in years of substitution by choosing these subjects in order to avoid the HDIP.

Finally I honestly think you would be crazy to go into teaching unless you are absolutely passionate and interested in the subjects you choose. Teaching is a stressful busy profession but it is often the passion and love of imparting the knowledge of your subjects that makes it great at the same time. I cannot imagine teaching subjects that I did not love and definitely not one I didn't take in school.

Not trying to be harsh but I'm a little worried about your motivations and whether you might regret the decision later.

Advertisement