Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New build for gaming/coding

Options

Comments

Will you be gaming or not?
    If you will be, you'll need windows

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

i5 2500K, CX430, Z68 motherboard, 8GB RAM, cheap case, Windows - €400.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭MsStroggatrix

Will you be gaming or not?
    If you will be, you'll need windows

No **** Sherlock :rolleyes:...

Ever hear of dual boot :p?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 638 ✭✭✭theTinker

Regards your comment about coding, and also of not needing an I7.

Are compile times important for you? They're very cpu intensive, If you can afford a I7, i'd go with that, it will improve the performance of every basic task, and i believe the hyper threading will be very benefical to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,757 ✭✭✭✭Encrypted Pigeon

I would think an i5 is more than enough, I have compiled on far worse.

• Advertisement

No **** Sherlock :rolleyes:...

Ever hear of dual boot :p?

Dual boot? whats that? :cool:

How are you willing to pay? Hardwareversand would work out over €50 cheaper than dabs.ie but you'll need to pay by bank transfer.
    Scan.co.uk is also quite good with their prices and selection of stock

Scan appears to be dearer than dabs, never heard of hardwareversand before - will check them out

The heaviest thing I'd probably ever compile is a Linux kernel (rarely). I'd mostly be compiling graphics or game related stuff and maybe some Android apps. May still get the i7, but I've a few days to think about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

theTinker wrote: »
    Regards your comment about coding, and also of not needing an I7.

Are compile times important for you? They're very cpu intensive, If you can afford a I7, i'd go with that, it will improve the performance of every basic task, and i believe the hyper threading will be very benefical to you.

Makes no practical difference to compile times. Hyper threading doesn't really help for most stuff coz it doesn't give you real extra cores, it only helps with simd stuff like video encoding. I have use of an i7 in work, and an i5 at home for similar stuff.

Strangely SSD makes feck all difference to normal compiling tasks either (large solution, multiple projects in visual studio).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 638 ✭✭✭theTinker

srsly78 wrote: »
    Strangely SSD makes feck all difference to normal compiling tasks either (large solution, multiple projects in visual studio).

Found that out too after a dissapointing test..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Fluffy88

An SSD is a must in this build imo.
    You have the headroom in your budget to fit an SSD and what other reason do you need :)

You may not notice the difference in compile times, but you certainly will in boot times(Ubuntu is just amazing for boot time on SSD(even 11.10)) and instead of making a cup of tea when I open Eclipse, now I can just get on with what I was doing.

I would get a Crucial M4 128GB, you could get a 64GB one if you want to be conservative.

Fluffy88 wrote: »
    making a cup of tea when I open Eclipse

My 2 work machines, personal laptop and 4 year old desktop take max 20 seconds to open Eclipse, none of them have SSD.

Anyway, I think I may wait a few weeks and save up some more cash. If I wait a month I can have a bigger budget for the machine.

I probably will get an SSD eventually.

Advertisement