Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Recent Graduate: First Job Interview

• 28-01-2012 9:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 540 ✭✭✭

As the title says, I recently finished college and currently in the market for a job. I've applied for so many, heard back from one or two but have my very first interview on Monday morning.

Its a programming/tech support position. This will be my first "real" interview as such and was wondering does anyone have any advice?

What do I wear? Shirt, tie and trousers?
    What kinda questions should I be prepared to be asked? I already know a bit about the business itself and what they do.

I'm nervous but, to be honest, quite excited. As much as I loved college, I really can't wait to get a job and one I enjoy....This one looks just like that.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

What do I wear? Shirt, tie and trousers?

Full suit
    I know IT people think the rules don't apply to them but you need the job first :P

It's good you know some background on the company

Now to impress them, at the end you'll be given the opportunity to ask a question and you need a good one.
    Something new in the industry? New tax rate in Ireland? Head office signed a new contract?
    I don't know what it will be but have something that shows you're reading the news and the websites for your area

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 540 ✭✭✭SmashingPilot

Thanks for the advice. I've done a little bit more research and have some nice questions to ask them. :)

Kinda just trying to think of the standard questions asked now, getting ideas and answers straight in my head.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

The interviewers will know that you're a recent grad so they will take that into account. If you did any projects or modules in college that may be relevant to the job position I'd look over them as they may ask you questions about them.

Major + 1 on focussing on the project work. Final year project/thesis in particular I would imagine you'll be asked about. Can't comment about IT but most grad positions are looking for lots of the transferable skills - detailing when you have been working in a team, how you have shown leadership, times you have had to make a difficult decision etc.

As said, do your research on the company you're apply for. Go onto Linked In and look who is who in the company. Best of luck with it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 540 ✭✭✭SmashingPilot

Cheers for the advice everyone. Just heard back today and I got the job. There was 180 applications for it too. Makes me feel happy! :D
    My first steps on the employment ladder, start tomorrow.

• Advertisement
Advertisement