Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Foreigners Getting Grants In Ireland For Tansport

• 28-01-2012 9:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭
    EMar Sounds

I heard a good one today but i'm not surprised,
    I was discussing how i see foreigners driving around in nice cars.
    And i know a few that are not working in Ireland, maybe they had money
    But for those that don't have any money they can apply for a grant so
    they can buy a car to get around?

I wonder how much they get on these grants?

That was said by someone that is working for a government institution.

What sickens me is the fact that someone with a disabled family member has such a hard time
    getting support off our government, yet someone can move here and get a grant for a car.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Gareth2011

I think thats boll*cks. http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/travel_and_recreation/transport_and_disability/motorised_transport_grant.html
    If you have a severe disability you can get a grant for 5,020 yoyo but you can't get a grant just because you have a car let alone a foreigner get one because they are a foreigner. I don't like using that term on here but im just replying to your question.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Sounds
    EMar Sounds

It is the truth, i'm not making it up.
    It's easier for a foreigner to get a grant that it is for
    an Irish resident to get help with a disabled child.

I have nothing against someone making a better life for themselves.
    But that pi$$ed me off when i heard it today.

Can you provide proof to that? Why would a Foreigner get a grant for a vehicle and an Irish-citizen not get it? Or is that not the case and an Irish citizen can get it too or is it just for foreigners?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

Gareth2011 wrote: »
    Can you provide proof to that? Why would a Foreigner get a grant for a vehicle and an Irish-citizen not get it? Or is that not the case and an Irish citizen can get it too or is it just for foreigners?

I was told that it's an african tradition to hold mass in peoples homes, rather than established churches. I know firsthand of a house where this happens regularly. Cars are parked all the way right up and down both sides of the road all over the place for the duration.

I was told that those africans who live in an area which is not in line of a direct bus route to their place of worship (wherever that may be) can apply for a grant towards the cost of a car in order to attend their place of worship.

I have not seen that part about the grant confirmed but the part about dozens of cars all over the place at random houses deemed to be places of worship is something I have seen firsthand regularly.

I have also heard from several taxi drivers (yes I know) that there was an enterprise grant scheme whereby many africans could avail of a grant to purchase a car making them a self employed businessman or somesuch. I was told this was the reason why so many africans were able to become taxi drivers.

I expect to be flamed for repeating such scurrilous accusations & blah blah blah but that was what I heard and it seemed to make sense to me. No doubt someone will be along shortly to say 'No that's not true you have no proof etc., etc.' but I honestly don't know and wouldn't expect a straight answer anytime soon. In general I think the Irish media are overly sensitive/reluctant to handle such questions in my view.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭marketty

I heard they get free socks

Edit: forgot to say 'in before the pram left behind at the bus stop'

marketty wrote: »
    I heard they get free socks

I heard it was those multi-packs of 5x pairs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Monife

Not this sh*te again!

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭azzie

Tell me you're joking!
    Surely no-one believes this racist drivel do they?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

azzie wrote: »
    Surely no-one believes this racist drivel do they?
    The racist drivelers do and their racist driveling off-spring.

... and why is this rubbish in new & media (I know it may have more3 merit than some of the stuff on the news or in the media, but even so ...

Can it be moved to AH or just dumped please?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

Sounds wrote: »

I'm not sure if you're making it up, but if someone else told you that then they certainly were - it's complete nonsense. I worked in the asylum area and I used to get these stories all the time. Think about it logically, with all the cutbacks that have been made, why would the government spending money on cars for people who probably can't vote? Also, do you have any reports (given this is the News and Media forum) to back this up? I'd doubt it.

Benny_Cake wrote: »
    I'm not sure if you're making it up, but if someone else told you that then they certainly were - it's complete nonsense. I worked in the asylum area and I used to get these stories all the time. Think about it logically, with all the cutbacks that have been made, why would the government spending money on cars for people who probably can't vote? Also, do you have any reports (given this is the News and Media forum) to back this up? I'd doubt it.

Not only that it is also predjudice against Irish Citizens. Why would a foriegner get a grant towards a car (because there off the bus route) so is half of rural Ireland and an Irish person can't to get a job? I still think its total lies. It just doesn't make sence at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

Does it come with a boot full of swans?

Is it driven by Romanians?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭IRE60

exactly - this sh1t again?

Its an arguement for a sub 100 iq - what utter crap

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Salt001

I would have thought by now that pretty much everybody accepts that these stories are urban myths.
    Can't believe there are actually people around that still believe them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Bucklesman

How exactly is this related to News and Media?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,498 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Bucklesman wrote: »
    How exactly is this related to News and Media?

+1 not related at all. The OP 'heard' this rumour - probably from an Irish taxi driver.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭IRE60

Or on twitter, or he's following a taxi driver on twitter!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭JustinDee

Gareth2011 wrote: »
    Can you provide proof to that?

No, they can't and the reason is simple: it is a myth believed only by people who want to believe it. It has also bugger all to do with News and Media too.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

This is not News & Media - I'll move it to AH.

That said, it is all nonsense. The fact that the only people propagating these myths "heard" about it from a friend/stranger/taxi driver only proves that.

If these schemes existed you'd be able to find application forms on the relevant Government websites, never mind articles etc talking about how it works.

As an aside I also love how the OP starts out by asking about a scheme they heard about, and how they want to know if it's real or not but when they're told it's rubbish they are suddenly certain that it is the absolute truth.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Sounds wrote: »

It's bollocks without any foundation in fact whatsoever.

Morlar wrote: »
    I was told that it's an african tradition to hold mass in peoples homes, rather than established churches. I know firsthand of a house where this happens regularly. Cars are parked all the way right up and down both sides of the road all over the place for the duration.

I was told that those africans who live in an area which is not in line of a direct bus route to their place of worship (wherever that may be) can apply for a grant towards the cost of a car in order to attend their place of worship.

I have not seen that part about the grant confirmed but the part about dozens of cars all over the place at random houses deemed to be places of worship is something I have seen firsthand regularly.

....bollocks.

Could somebody build a bot that types "bollocks" for me when this crap comes up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

What the hell is Tansport and why I am not getting a grant for it?!!

What the hell is Tansport and why I am not getting a grant for it?!!

What kind of abuse would ye get going round donegal with a fake tan?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,420 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Salt001 wrote: »
    I would have thought by now that pretty much everybody accepts that these stories are urban myths.
    Can't believe there are actually people around that still believe them.

It's happening in America as well.

http://www.snopes.com/business/taxes/immigrants.asp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

Romas get free gold teeth and free babies to beg with. Its a disgrace joe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭gerryo777

Nodin wrote: »
    ....bollocks.
    Oh FFS, any question about foreigners and nodin is on the high horse again!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

RichieC wrote: »
    Romas get free gold teeth and free babies to beg with. Its a disgrace joe.

That made me LOL. :pac:

• Advertisement

gerryo777 wrote: »
    Oh FFS, any question about foreigners and nodin is on the high horse again!:D

I'm sorry, did I interrupt somebody coming out with lies you'd like to hear?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭gerryo777

Nodin wrote: »
    I'm sorry, did I interrupt somebody coming out with lies you'd like to hear?
    Your a joke.:D:D:D
    Get your mate mango to ban me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Feel free to start threads on immigrants and immigration but have some reliable sources to back your statements up.
    Otherwise it's just hearsay and conjecture.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement