Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

First Part Time Job!

• 28-01-2012 9:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

I am a fifth year student and I am DESPERATE for a job. I really need some advice! I know it's difficult to get a job in todays world, but I could really use some tips! For example, any tips on writing my first CV? Any template someone may have that I could download please? And also, can anyone just give me any valuable advice in general when looking for my first job? What will make me more accessible to employers? I've found that getting your first job is probably down to knowing someone working in the business, and that's really making me upsetv because me or my parents don't know anyone! Also, does anyone reccommend volunterring to gain experience, or do you think it's a waste of time?
    Any help appreciated!
    Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭MyKeyG

I am a fifth year student and I am DESPERATE for a job. I really need some advice! I know it's difficult to get a job in todays world, but I could really use some tips! For example, any tips on writing my first CV? Any template someone may have that I could download please? And also, can anyone just give me any valuable advice in general when looking for my first job? What will make me more accessible to employers? I've found that getting your first job is probably down to knowing someone working in the business, and that's really making me upsetv because me or my parents don't know anyone! Also, does anyone reccommend volunterring to gain experience, or do you think it's a waste of time?
    Any help appreciated!
    Thanks!
    Not being funny but I would say your career guidance councillor would be your best bet as opposed to fifty different opinions on boards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,921 ✭✭✭✭looksee

The kind of work you are likely to get in your situation is retail, fast food or bar work. Your cv is a lot less important than turning up looking tidy, clean and alert. Leg work (or knowing someone) is the best approach. Just go round and approach likely places. Ask to speak to the manager, don't go into - say - fast food places at lunchtime, choose a time when they are likely to be there but not at peak busy times.

Leave in a simple cv and make sure there is evidence of having been on school teams/ voluntary work/ useful stuff you do in your spare time. Do not put - interests - music, hanging out with my friends, computers. (yes really, very common on cvs!) Really all they need is your name, address, phone number and age, so, while you need to say what you have done so far at school, provided it is tidy and literate, the rest is padding.

If you are looking for a summer job you need to be searching around March/April. Be aware that you very likely will be messed about, promised jobs that don't happen, start work only to be bumped when someone with experience turns up. Don't take it personally. Good luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

Any help appreciated!
    Thanks!

Hi Conor

Cover letter advice: http://www.dublinjobs.ie/cover-letter-advice/
    CV advice: http://www.dublinjobs.ie/cv-advice/
    Interview advice: http://www.dublinjobs.ie/interview-advice/
    CV template: http://www.acme.ie/acme-cv-template.doc

The kind of jobs you want to go for are "unskilled". So that means giving your CV (in person, not by e-mail) to the manager of every shop/food outlet/factory/etc. in your area. It is important you give it to the manager as the non-manager may bin it.

Volunteering to gain experience is a great idea! Even if it's just a few hours a week; it is experience on your CV.

You should also look at your family network - do you have cousins/uncles/aunts who could help you get an hour or two per week where they work? My aunts used to hire me to work in their flower shops, and my uncle used to give me jobs delivering leaflets etc.

You could also offer to do some online work for free, just to get a reference on your CV. This could be stuff like proofreading documents for foreign companies. I'm sure a bit of Googling will turn up something.

Advertisement