Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert Higher or A level maths?

• 28-01-2012 9:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭

Hi, I sat Ordinary level maths 10 years ago and took a good few modules of maths in University. I want to take another shot at maths and finish off with a better mark, just for a sense of satisfaction. I know I can do this. But which course would look better on your CV? I heard the A level is more advanced than Leaving cert Higher maths. I only want this grade so I can put it on my cv, I already have a useless degree:P

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

assuming the courses overlap somewhat because maths is maths, why not try both? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Geo10

A level would be more advanced as you take 6+ subjects for the LC but only take 3 for the A levels. So the A level course would be twice as big (I'm assuming)

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭sganyfx

Where are you doing Alevel math of interest?

A level math is the best choice, LC maths does not compare to it in any shape or form.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

I actually heard a few years ago LC HL maths was more difficult than A Levels maths. When I looked at some A Level maths papers and I thought they looked very similar, with LC HL being perhaps a bit more challenging in the C parts. However, that was with the old Leaving Cert HL course, not the new Project Maths course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭TroikaBox

Thanks for the advice:p

A level maths it is. Just for the challenge I guess. The project Maths syllabus looks nothing like the paper I sat at Ordinary level. Guess times are a changing. Now, I must get up to scratch on Integration first:D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

TroikaBox wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice:p

A level maths it is. Just for the challenge I guess. The project Maths syllabus looks nothing like the paper I sat at Ordinary level. Guess times are a changing. Now, I must get up to scratch on Integration first:D

Feel free to ask here, or on the Mathematics forum, if you have any questions.

I'd also recommend this site: hundreds of free videos explaining concepts in Maths very well (he also does a bunch of other subjects, not just maths)
    http://www.khanacademy.org/

For integration, scroll down to calculus and watch the relevant videos!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 338 ✭✭ray giraffe

A Level Maths Books will assume you are good at Basic Maths, watch out!

This book is very good and the material is the foundation for A Level: Link. Agreed to be much better than Irish textbooks.

I did maths at A Level, and I offer maths and physics grinds in Dublin 18: Details here :)

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭lledlledlled

Hi guys,

I know this thread is slightly old but some of you might be able to help me out.

I have an assessment day coming up, as part of a job I applied for in the UK. It "will consist of 2 paper-based ability tests designed to assess abilities relevant to this position. One will be a verbal paper; the other will assess your level in algebra, trigonometry, geometry, and calculus at A Level/Scottish Higher".

I only did Ordinary Level for both my JC and LC but I've had a bit of a recovery in maths since then; am in third year of an engineering course at the minute and the maths hasn't been a problem at all. I'm just a bit worried that they might have different ways of asking things in the UK, or the curriculum, methods, notation etc might be a bit different. Or am I being silly? Surely maths is maths?

Are any text books or revision guides available in Ireland for A-Level maths? The assessment is next week so I probably don't have time to send away to the UK for a book. I'm also really busy in college and broke so grinds are probably out too.

Any help would be really appreciated. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭sganyfx

I would go for A levels, it is far more flexible and clear cut. I started A level Maths and Further Maths before I moved to Ireland, LC is a tad more "cloudy" with the new project maths crap, while A level math is just math.

sganyfx wrote: »
    I would go for A levels, it is far more flexible and clear cut. I started A level Maths and Further Maths before I moved to Ireland, LC is a tad more "cloudy" with the new project maths crap, while A level math is just math.

Do you know of any A-level math books or revision guides available in Ireland?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,237 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Just as a matter of interest, where will you be sitting the A level exam?
    No need to name the actual school or anything. I'm just wondering where is offering A levels.

spurious wrote: »
    Just as a matter of interest, where will you be sitting the A level exam?
    No need to name the actual school or anything. I'm just wondering where is offering A levels.

I presume your question is for me. If so, I am not sitting an actual A-level exam. I am attending an assessment day which is part of the interview process for a job I applied for in the UK. This assessment is based on A-level algebra, trigonometry, geometry, and calculus.

As such, I was wondering if there's a book or revision guide I can get to bring me up to speed with any differences between the UK curriculum and my current knowledge.

The assessment is next week and I'm really busy with college work so I haven't much time to extract what I need from the various revision websites. An equivalent book to the ones currently in every bookshop for Leaving Cert students would be perfect.

Advertisement