Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Any news from charlaois sale tullamore jan 2012

• 28-01-2012 10:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41

As above, would love to know how full throttle went??

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭pajero12

deerejohn wrote: »
    As above, would love to know how full throttle went??
    10 grand, Happy for him considering how everyone was taking the piss out of him for his ridiculously stupid donedeal adds!

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭essgee268

pajero12 wrote: »
    10 grand, Happy for him considering how everyone was taking the piss out of him for his ridiculously stupid donedeal adds!

Nothing Stupid about the Bull or the 10 Grand for that Matter

essgee268 wrote: »

Nothing Stupid about the Bull or the 10 Grand for that Matter
    Did I say that? try reading my comment again.. Good man ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41 deerejohn

Very interesting, bull looked very fleshy in the video, i know he had a very high muscle score, but i was wondering(from a distance!) did the bull look as good as the ad,
    How was the rest of the sale?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/beefcattle/2907651

Fair play to him, who ever he is. Great looking bull and figures to go with it, maybe AI is the place for him.

http://www.icbf.ie/taurus/bull_search/index.php?search_type=name&search=Tawny+Full+Throttle

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 609 ✭✭✭flatout11

who bought him in the end???
    he was at 9500 in the ring first time around
    serious animal long and wide but done to the absolute last, too big of a front for my liking for ordinary cows ada has a reputation for hard calving too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

flatout11 wrote: »
    too big of a front for my liking

+1. I don't know what cow you'd want to throw his calves out!:eek:

I went over just to see him in the flesh. He was twice the width of the bull that bet him to the red rosette. Twas good to see Basil B doesn't just judge on shear size alone and that it's as much about the breeding as the feeding.

Couldn't stay for the sale so good to hear on here how he sold.

Re his donedeal ads.... the lad can afford to be cocky. He breeds good bulls compared to the usual sh*t you see on there. Fair play to him. Tawny IMO is definitely a herd name we'I be hearing alot of in charolais circles in the coming years

Muckit wrote: »

I went over just to see him in the flesh. He was twice the width of the bull that bet him to the red rosette. Twas good to see Basil B doesn't just judge on shear size alone and that it's as much about the breeding as the feeding.

Re his donedeal ads.... the lad can afford to be cocky. He breeds good bulls compared to the usual sh*t you see on there. Fair play to him. Tawny IMO is definitely a herd name we'I be hearing alot of in charolais circles in the coming years
    nice long clean bull that bet him in the class not sure if i would of done it that way but he was a decent bull,
    what did he end up at 5700?

what did he end up at 5700?

I couldn't wait for the sale. So I didn't get any prices.

only stayed for a few myself slow trade to start with id say the premier next month will be better
    who bought full trottle
    did he go north?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭essgee268

only stayed for a few myself slow trade to start with id say the premier next month will be better
    who bought full trottle
    did he go north?

To Northern Ireland, Joel Richardson

serious animal long and wide but done to the absolute last, too big of a front for my liking for ordinary cows ada has a reputation for hard calving too
    As far as I know, it was the man the man that was bidding till the end, he was sitting near me, he left his seat soon after the bull went out of the ring, and it was announced the bull sold for 10 then, I'm just putting 2+2 together :) a fine bull though! Fierce width at the front! He went up north!

...it was announced the bull sold for 10 then, I'm just putting 2+2 together...!
    You put 2 and 2 together, and came up with 10.:D

essgee268 wrote: »
    To Northern Ireland, Joel Richardson
    that the las with angus pedigrees? bit of a switch !! i had a different northern client in mind

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

that the las with angus pedigrees? bit of a switch !! i had a different northern client in mind

Jalex herd???

Jalex herd???
    no a bit sharper and further west not that one of the lasds that works for alexander was there showing alright

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭limo_100

so hes not gone to AI so i take it?

He's not, No!

He looked to have a serious shoulder on donedeal alright. Would that really throw ye off him? The shoulder is never any wider than the hip so why worry. On judging the bull on his breeding muckit that doesnt make any sense to me, Sure all them bulls are fed as much as they can eat of the best quality meal and then encouraged to eat a bit more of it. If the bull happened to be from a new french line not known in Ireland how could he be judged on his ancestors? If that were the case there would be no need for show/sales, the winner could be picked from his ancestory through icbf. In my opinion the most of the bulls sold at the socitey sales are fed the same and the all have the same mouth so why shouldnt the bull with the best power, length, width, height and functionality win assuming he was the best bull there. Not attacking you now muckit, would just like to know your opinion!!

I'd agree with Redz on this. I don't think you can look at a mature bull and say whether it is easy calving or not. Anyone see BLAKESTOWN SEIGNEUR (SEG) at the ploughing. Huge frame of a bull , yet he is average calving for the breed.
    Even the Lim bull FL22 has 5 stars for calving ease, but 5 Stars for Beef carcase too.

• Advertisement

pakalasa wrote: »
    I'd agree with Redz on this. I don't think you can look at a mature bull and say whether it is easy calving or not. Anyone see BLAKESTOWN SEIGNEUR (SEG) at the ploughing. Huge frame of a bull , yet he is average calving for the breed.
    Even the Lim bull FL22 has 5 stars for calving ease, but 5 Stars for Beef carcase too.
    Too wide of shoulders or wings on a bull typically result in harder calvings, try one you wont be long finding out!
    generally most muscley calves dont devolop a end to match their front for 3 to 4 weeks

Too wide of shoulders or wings on a bull typically result in harder calvings, try one you wont be long finding out!
    generally most muscley calves dont devolop a end to match their front for 3 to 4 weeks
    Typically, but not always the case. If calves tend to be very small at birth, then it's not a problem.

Typically, but not always the case. If calves tend to be very small at birth, then it's not a problem.
    at the end of the day a long wide clean bull is a better bet on commercial cows

I agree.

Assuming he shouldnt be used on commercial cows why should he be used on pedigrees when his progeny will bring his traits. A good shoulder and length is the first thing I would look for on a bull.

Assuming he shouldnt be used on commercial cows why should he be used on pedigrees when his progeny will bring his traits. A good shoulder and length is the first thing I would look for on a bull.
    Dont get me wrong i like a bull with a good shoulder, but not a bull that is too rough of his front with no middle or top aunt much good either, as to the pedigre men some still have notions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Galloways4life

Judging from the DoneDeal ad that fullthrottle is one serious bull and with them figures to match 10 grand doesnt seem bad value, if it was perth or carlisle he was being sold you could add another few grand easily!

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭island of tighe

just on the judging im a limousin man myself and go to the odd premier sale.the limousin society always bring in a british judge who is not familiar with the bulls he is looking at and judges purely on sight.this probably leads to fairer judging

• Advertisement

He looked to have a serious shoulder on donedeal

You'd want to have seen him in the flesh. He had an elephant of a front on him. No way suitable for heifers or average cows. I wouldn't have called him a stylish bull either.

All bulls at society sales are not fed the same or to the same extent. Every breeder has his own preference for type of feed and feed regime. Just look around the pens at sales and see what they have them eating, 9 times out of 10 it's the feed they've been getting up until the sale. Even roughage being fed differs.

I don't follow your argument about judging a bull on his breeding. I'm not a fan of ICBF, so I wouldn't judge a bull on his figures. When I was talking about judging on breeding I was talking about his looks ie frame, muscle conformation and functionality. The bull that has the most condition on from being force fed meal isn't necessarily the best bull.

I could go on, but it's something you either get or you don't. Some lads will never get it, nor have them.

Anyone see BLAKESTOWN SEIGNEUR (SEG) at the ploughing. Huge frame of a bull , yet he is average calving for the breed.

I did.....in 2008. And in Tullamore at their dispersal sale. He's dead now. Like FULL TROTTLE, he wouldn't be a bull I personally would like to put on heifers or average cows. Patsy had the cows and heifers to match that bull. His heifers would be at least 3years old at calving.

You'd want to have seen him in the flesh. He had an elephant of a front on him. No way suitable for heifers or average cows. I wouldn't have called him a stylish bull either.

All bulls at society sales are not fed the same or to the same extent. Every breeder has his own preference for type of feed and feed regime. Just look around the pens at sales and see what they have them eating, 9 times out of 10 it's the feed they've been getting up until the sale. Even roughage being fed differs.

I don't follow your argument about judging a bull on his breeding. I'm not a fan of ICBF, so I wouldn't judge a bull on his figures. When I was talking about judging on breeding I was talking about his looks ie frame, muscle conformation and functionality. The bull that has the most condition on from being force fed meal isn't necessarily the best bull.

I could go on, but it's something you either get or you don't. Some lads will never get it, nor have them.

My bad Muckit. When you said breeding I thought you were referring to his ''breeding'' or ancestery rather than his build length confirmation and functionality. I didnt see the bull in the flesh so cant comment on him but he looked a fair animal on donedeal. I agree that a bull that excels an one trait like muscle but has a bad walk and may be lacking length isint the best bull to have. I would prefer to have a bull more balanced across all of those traits. As for the feeding the may not all be getting the same brand of ration but in all fairness most bulls that go to the society sales be it any beef breed are pumped with meal. Maybe some might have eat a small bit more than others but they still all get their fair share, It's not easy to get a bull onto a normal feeding regime (grass) without them melting after the levels of meal they are being fed. It's hard to see the logic in it but I suppose the buyers are worse for keeping up the demand for them.

I totally agree with you about the feeding. But I've started to notice that some breeders are choosing not to force their bulls on as much. It can only be a good thing. You could see how a bull would melt when he's on 10kg of meal before a sale having a lazy life of it, to then eating just grass and expected to go chasing 20-30 cows!!

It's like getting the chubby lad who's fond of his Supermacs to hop up off the couch and go run a marathon!!

Bulls need to be getting 3-4kg of meal after they're bought and given time to change from fat to fit before mixing with cows. But who does or is told that??

It's like getting the chubby lad who's fond of his Supermacs to hop up off the couch and go run a marathon!!
    QUOTE]

yep - there both well ****ed when there finished ;););)

• Advertisement
Advertisement