Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Possible Cold Reload

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭ZX7R

srocliffe wrote: »
    It's not showing up there, it's showing up here

http://www.met.ie/latest/rainfall_radar.asp
    Looks like there is specks passing over co dublin and wicklow:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭srocliffe

ZX7R wrote: »
    Looks like there is specks passing over co dublin and wicklow:confused:

We're talking about the big blue blob currently near the Isle of Man that has been heading towards Dublin / Wicklow the last couple of hours

As it isn't showing up on rain today, it is hard to know whether it will come to anything.

At its current speed, a few hours yet before it would hit land (if it doesn't disappear in the meantime)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Jean Byrne of Met Eireann on RTE now, didn't even mention the word "snow" and their charts went straight from Cold to Mild and RAIN.

It must be right if it's M.E. !! So RAIN it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭jo06555

vicwatson wrote: »
    Jean Byrne of Met Eireann on RTE now, didn't even mention the word "snow" and their charts went straight from Cold to Mild and RAIN.

In fairness I think I'll stick to met eireann as they don't jump to conclusions so I won't begetting my hopes up as much ;) as I do in here....im just looking forward to the summer now :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

That radar return on the met.ie radar is anaprop, caused by the strengthening inversion, which causes total internal reflection of the signals, allowing them to reach and be reflected off terrain far outside the normal range of the radar. Normally anaprop remains stationary but the movement of the ridge is changing the depth of the inversion and hence causing the apparent "movement".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭srocliffe

Thanks for the explanation.

Any particular reason why this phantom signal is not showing on rain today, just curious.

It's a sad state of affairs when we are so desperate to chase the slightest whiff of something that could be snow :)

srocliffe wrote: »
    Any particular reason why this phantom signal is not showing on rain today, just curious.

Yes, it is only visible on the Dublin radar. The raintoday map uses radar sites in the UK too, which will allow detection and elimination of any anomalous signals.

And before we get the usual ME bashing, it can happen on any radar anywhere in the world!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

It makes me laugh when I read posts like it's gonna remain blocked and frosty! We've had about 7 if not 8 weeks of mild gunk and we must now celebrate frost! Of course the Winter has been so dire its pbly not unreasonable
    The facts are as follows:

1) Ireland get about 3 cold nights with widespread frost
    2) There is little if any hope of snowfall under this current cold snap
    3) The atlantic wins easily over Ireland. ( yes i know kent remains bitter, who cares!!)
    4) it will be heading for mid Feb before we have a chance of a re-load
    5) The deep cold dissapaites over Europe before that re-load can happen

Now guys come on, can some one please tell me what Winter over the last 20 years has been milder than this one. Daffodils have been out since mid Jan....much of the country is snow free....the whole month of January has almost been completely without a frost nationwide.

Yes berlin is -20 and Moscow -25, but in all honesty who gives a ****!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭Yahew

It makes me laugh when I read posts like it's gonna remain blocked and frosty! We've had about 7 if not 8 weeks of mild gunk and we must now celebrate frost! Of course the Winter has been so dire its pbly not unreasonable

3) The atlantic wins easily over Ireland. ( yes i know kent remains bitter, who cares!!)
    Dude, you need to live in the UK.
    Now guys come on, can some one please tell me what Winter over the last 20 years has been milder than this one. Daffodils have been out since mid Jan....much of the country is snow free....the whole month of January has almost been completely without a frost nationwide.

Or Moscow, or Berlin.

Looks like recent runs are bringing snow to most of uk this w/e.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭Dotsie~tmp

You do know nobody actually controls the weather right? Its not personal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Dotsie~tmp wrote: »
    You do know nobody actually controls the weather right? Its not personal.

Understand that but the cold ramping on Netweather is doing my head in.
    Steve Murr will be telling us next that all is well because it's snowing heavily in Lapland and he has a million reasons why this is guaranteed to hit Kent 24 hours later........and that the 06z, 00z and 18z can be ignored as being useless tools and to only trust the 12z when it shows brutal cold.......arghhhhh

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

vicwatson wrote: »

Getting this straight, nobody has had much hope of breakdown snow since for 24-48 hours and even then it was not very high.

We are just discussing the possibilities, at this stage at around 10-20%.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

Steve Murr will be telling us next that all is well because it's snowing heavily in Lapland and he has a million reasons why this is guaranteed to hit Kent 24 hours later........and that the 06z, 00z and 18z can be ignored as being useless tools and to only trust the 12z when it shows brutal cold.......arghhhhh

ha ha its only weather dont take it to heart you sound like you are going to have a nervous break down:D

Well stop reading it then! The outlook for England is way colder than ours.

I really don't get why some of the UK forecasts are being quoted here when they refer to the UK.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

There has been some crazy straw clutching over there , very hard to see the wood from the trees .

I've really enjoyed this forum over the last week or two , not to much over the top hype and a nice bit of detailed discussion ,

I'm still holding onto slim hopes that we may see a decent cold event this winter but won't be the end of the world if we don't , il be straight onto my next conquest.

Looking for less rain more sun and a decent spring/ summer so I can improve on my golf game and hopefully win the boards.ie golf society :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

I wouldn't be getting too excited about radar shadows near the IoM when the pressure is 1038hpa! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,946 ✭✭✭✭Villain

South East England looking good for some Snow if people want to fly over and get their Snow fix!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Su Campu wrote: »
    Well stop reading it then! The outlook for England is way colder than ours.

I really don't get why some of the UK forecasts are being quoted here when they refer to the UK.

Myself I just look over there to get a feel on overall trends and to learn a little bit more about synoptics/charts,but they have no bias towards the Irish weather what so ever,

For the Irish it's here and iwo for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

For the Irish it's here and ... for me.

Cough*** it's here and here surely, lead by example and all that. What. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Lucreto

It is the coldest night I have recorded this winter. -2.3c and still going down.

Pity it won't last.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭weatherfiend

Lucreto wrote: »
    It is the coldest night I have recorded this winter. -2.3c and still going down.

Pity it won't last.

Woah!! -5 here at the moment. Love this.

Posted on the wrong thread this afternoon by mistake :P so I hope I'm not being bold now!! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Lucreto

Woah!! -5 here at the moment. Love this.

Posted on the wrong thread this afternoon by mistake :P so I hope I'm not being bold now!! :cool:

I find it odd Sandyford would be colder than Naas. -2.7 now but I do have it sheltered so the reading might be off.

Off to bed now hopefully the charts will begin to show cold returning.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,946 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Lucreto wrote: »
    I find it odd Sandyford would be colder than Naas. -2.7 now but I do have it sheltered so the reading might be off.

Off to bed now hopefully the charts will begin to show cold returning.
    -5.7c in Naas according to http://naasweather.com/

Found it strange this morning that when I left the House in Newbridge it was -6.2 , as I moved along the N7 the temp was slowly rising .

By the time I reached Saggart the reading on the car was +0.0 and it fluctuated from there to -0.5 for until my destination in Vincents Hospital D4.

Now I had presumed that the colder uppers were going to be hugging the east coast , how is it so cold in Newbridge but a lot warmer towards Dublin.

Given that Newbridge is only around 50KM away as the crow fly's

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

as the crow fly's

Mmmmmm, but did you see any crows flying at that time. :cool:

I noticed a 10c gradient between Sherkin +5c and Ballyhaise -5c in the Met Hourly at 07:00. As near coastal stations like DA and JC are showing -1c and SN 0c I assume they are getting some coastal effect even though near rather than on the coast.

Highest Temp Gradient between Stations at a single point in a given month would make a good Monthly Contest Q some time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭thomasj

Found it strange this morning that when I left the House in Newbridge it was -6.2 , as I moved along the N7 the temp was slowly rising .

By the time I reached Saggart the reading on the car was +0.0 and it fluctuated from there to -0.5 for until my destination in Vincents Hospital D4.

Now I had presumed that the colder uppers were going to be hugging the east coast , how is it so cold in Newbridge but a lot warmer towards Dublin.

Ive noticed that myself over the last couple of days. I dont why but was in blackrock tuesday noticed it was cold but not as cold as when i got back to clonsilla. The city has been warmer than dublin 15 which i found strange given that i thought the cold front was meant to hug the east coast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭blackius

thomasj wrote: »

Ive noticed that myself over the last couple of days. I dont why but was in blackrock tuesday noticed it was cold but not as cold as when i got back to clonsilla. The city has been warmer than dublin 15 which i found strange given that i thought the cold front was meant to hug the east coast.
    Very simple answer to that.
    closer to the coast and you get more variable cloud cover and light breezes

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Was -4 in lucan at 7am this morning and currently -3.5 in eastpoint in clontarf

• Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Was -4 in lucan at 7am this morning and currently -3.5 in eastpoint in clontarf

In Eastpoint myself and can confirm its cooold ! Lakes frozen over :)

• Advertisement

It is purely down to frost hollow effect. I drove from Celbridge to Tallaght this morning and within 1 mile, the temperature rose 5 degrees between Newcastle and Rathcoole, where there was very little frost. The terrain rises around 40-50 metres in that mile and that is enough to cause the cold air to drain into the lowest terrain oveernight. It's most notable in light or no winds.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement