Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Possible Cold Reload

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Vudgie

I understand that people hate these specific requests but I thought I would ask anyway;).

I am flying to Luton tomorrow afternoon and I see that snow is being widely forecast for the London area from Friday onwards. Has anyone taken an interest in this region? The snow doesn't bother me and it would be great to see a bit, once the airports remain open without major delays!

Is this a marginal event or as nailed on as weather forecasting can get?

Many thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

It would appear that a lot of central and eastern England are at risk of a decent fall of snow during Saturday and into Sunday morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 130 ✭✭Snowmaker

It would appear that a lot of central and eastern England are at risk of a decent fall of snow during Saturday and into Sunday morning.

And I know exactly why the cold is retreating so soon after it's arrived... has anyone ever taken a really close look at the Data Buoys which surround Ireland? Shocking... :mad:

191031.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭hotwhiskey

It does look like our neighbours across the water will get some decent falls of snow this weekend, some of us will be looking on with envy. Do you know "life is cruel sometimes".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 358 ✭✭YanSno

Am expecting a few showers along the east coast later in the afternoon.theres a band of streamers draging the moisture all the way from finland this will allow those showers to reprouce along the irish see.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,949 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

looks like winter is dying on it's last legs, perhaps some short lived spring snow during March will have to do:) This is a truly forgettable winter. I have a nasty feeling that all the cold spells will come during the Summer delivering another exciting July of umbrella's, heaters and rain-jackets. I hope to god im wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Gonzo wrote: »
    looks like winter is dying on it's last legs, perhaps some short lived spring snow during March will have to do:) This is a truly forgettable winter. I have a nasty feeling that all the cold spells will come during the Summer delivering another exciting July of umbrella's, heaters and rain-jackets. I hope to god im wrong.

Still plenty of time for a proper snowy spell, we're now in the coldest part of the year. A lot of cold inertia has built up so writing it off this early isn't a good idea (unless you're using reverse psychology!).

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Su Campu wrote: »
    Still plenty of time for a proper snowy spell, we're now in the coldest part of the year. A lot of cold inertia has built up so writing it off this early isn't a good idea (unless you're using reverse psychology!).

Su has spoken , Im off out to get the supplies :pac:

On a serious note Su , how do you see this month playing out .

Once again it was an excellent call on this little flirt with the cold :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

siomon keeling has snow charts on his web page, showing up to 4cm of snow,for ireland on satherday,he only put them up today....:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Now guys come on, can some one please tell me what Winter over the last 20 years has been milder than this one.

Dunno what country you may have been in the last 20yrs, mild winters like this one have been quite common up to 2009 in Ireland. In Dublin for example it hardly snowed(sticky style) for a number of years before the big freeze of 2009.

Did you not notice the sudden excitement on boards when we got our first snow in the city in 2009 after waiting a number of years for it to arrive?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭weatherfiend

gurramok wrote: »
    Dunno what country you may have been in the last 20yrs, mild winters like this one have been quite common up to 2009 in Ireland. In Dublin for example it hardly snowed(sticky style) for a number of years before the big freeze of 2009.

Did you not notice the sudden excitement on boards when we got our first snow in the city in 2009 after waiting a number of years for it to arrive?

Snow indeed was very thin on the ground (pardon the pun) but the winters weren't necessarily mild though. We always got a good old blast of frost and cold - I know this from standing on the rugby sideline for the last 30 years.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Snow indeed was very thin on the ground (pardon the pun) but the winters weren't necessarily mild though. We always got a good old blast of frost and cold - I know this from standing on the rugby sideline for the last 30 years.;)

Well, standing still anywhere in any temperature at a match for that long would give you a chill unless a few hot whiskeys helped you ;)

Before 2009, I think the last 'sticky' snow we had in Dublin that lasted for a few days was in 2001, is that correct? If so, an 8 yr gap!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭mcriot29

Well, standing still anywhere in any temperature at a match for that long would give you a chill unless a few hot whiskeys helped you ;)

Before 2009, I think the last 'sticky' snow we had in Dublin that lasted for a few days was in 2001, is that correct? If so, an 8 yr gap!:)
    Ok folks check this out wow rukawebcam.com - 27 and a few foot of snow feckin hell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,474 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Whatever about snow, this is the mildest I remember in terms of frost. I live in the mountains, and even with the last few mornings I think we're still not much more than a handful of days where I've had to defrost the car!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭TURRICAN

Let's all hope for warm weather and no easterly.
    Let's play it backwards this time;) :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

darkman2 wrote: »
    GFS control run going for undercutting low as early as 114hrs

gens-0-1-114.png?12

gens-0-0-132.png?12

Big moment I think. May be the start of a broader swing in the models. Re-establish the block and the jet stream plays ball for an undercutting Atlantic low. Weathercheck will be happy ;)

EDIT: MANY of the ensemble members support this at around 120hrs.

Hopefully it is a trend its torcher watching nearly everywhere in Europe getting decent snow falls apart from our little island.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

From the front page of meteociel:

Extremely childish i know :pac:

212fwnr.png

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

TURRICAN wrote: »
    Let's all hope for warm weather and no easterly.
    Let's play it backwards this time;) :)

I have moved your post in here from the Model Discussion forum, had I had the option to give you an infraction for less than 10 days you would of got one, Luckily I am only a new mod and I dont know how to do that so you are being let off :(

I am spending an awful amount of time moving posts about, everyone please check that your posts belong where you are posting them.

This help keeps the forum flowing smoothly and everyone happy , some of the posters in the models/technical forum spend a lot of time to give there views on the outputs of the models.

On the other hand some posters like to have a bit crack and take a light hearted view on how things will turn out , and this is why we have the chat thread ,so we can carter to everyone's needs.

Thank you all

had I had the option to give you an infraction for less than 10 days you would of got one, Luckily I am only a new mod and I dont know how to do that

Bless your cotton socks pete! :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Ludicrous Control run from the GFS

Could we be on the verge of the biggest model climb down ever?

If it occurred it would be up there.

• Advertisement

Have we ever had any noticeable snow events after a major model climbdown ?

Just had a look at the control there now WC and it is quite an impressive run to say the least! Undercutting showing on the GEM, UKMO, GFS control and the ECM seems to be heading that way too at 120h so the control is very much a possibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭only one

What does this all mean? Lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭Calibos

Climb down from what. Context lad, we need the context!!

Climbdown from all the models predicting the Atlantic pushing the Cold away, ie. it won't and we don't lose our cold temps at the weekend.

Or climbdown from some of the models predicting a bit of a reload next week sometime. ie. Get out the Shorts and T-Shirts?

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭paddymc1

Su Campu wrote: »
    It is purely down to frost hollow effect. I drove from Celbridge to Tallaght this morning and within 1 mile, the temperature rose 5 degrees between Newcastle and Rathcoole, where there was very little frost. The terrain rises around 40-50 metres in that mile and that is enough to cause the cold air to drain into the lowest terrain oveernight. It's most notable in light or no winds.

Was wondering why it was -6 in Celbridge and by time got to Rathcoole it was only -1. Couldn't belive it could change that much in that short distance.

Calibos wrote: »
    Climb down from what. Context lad, we need the context!!

Climbdown from all the models predicting the Atlantic pushing the Cold away, ie. it won't and we don't lose our cold temps at the weekend.

Or climbdown from some of the models predicting a bit of a reload next week sometime. ie. Get out the Shorts and T-Shirts?

The former :) Well briefly but then an easterly reforms next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

I haven't studied the model, but just got in from walking the dog in Helsinki. Minus 20 this morning, minus 18 now and minus 25 forecast for tomorrow morning. With the wind chill factor, it feels more like minus 30 right now. I sure hope the Siberian cold blast weakens before it has spread as far west as Ireland, otherwise my daffodils and tulips will be wiped out before they bloom.:eek:

It's been minus 40+ further north and the railways are experiencing some timetable difficulties, but nothing major.:)

junajumi0202etuMP_503_uu.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭whataboutnow

In all my years following the weather(since i was 4 almost 20years now ha)I've never been as confused,frustrated and genuinely clueless as to what happens next.In fairness I'd be more than happy with heavy snow and it lying for 3 or 4 days.Not asking for much ha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

In all my years following the weather(since i was 4 almost 20years now ha)I've never been as confused,frustrated and genuinely clueless as to what happens next.In fairness I'd be more than happy with heavy snow and it lying for 3 or 4 days.Not asking for much ha

Your not the only one:) but it looks like we are going to miss out this time only by a few 100 miles:mad: But models are hinting of a reload either from the east or north towards next weekend when we get over this mild blip early next week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭whataboutnow

Your not the only one:) but it looks like we are going to miss out this time only by a few 100 miles:mad: But models are hinting of a reload either from the east or north towards next weekend when we get over this mild blip early next week.

Yea,the only thing that's known is the unknown.There's a chance of snow for me tomorrow in Donegal,BBC northern ireland weather mentioned the west of Ulster could see snow.I'd love a northerly blast for a few days then switching around in to an easterly.Nothing like mobile cold weather compared to this mundane crap ha

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement