Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Possible Cold Reload

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭blackius

I suggest everyone get off it to be honest as theres nothing dramatic coming to Ireland.
    Any battle is always going to be east wales eastwards from here on in untill the atlantic eventually heads into germany in a few weeks,that dye is cast in my opinion to be honest

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

blackius wrote: »
    I suggest everyone get off it to be honest as theres nothing dramatic coming to Ireland.
    Any battle is always going to be east wales eastwards from here on in untill the atlantic eventually heads into germany in a few weeks,that dye is cast in my opinion to be honest

That has me lost , the Atlantic moves into Germany ?

Getting on it is what the forum is all about.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,012 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

You weren't saying that earlier!
    It WILL be colder in Ireland from wenesday onwards.
    What happens after that though is FI,we don't know.
    Anything is possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

ECM goes for high pressure dominated cold weather.

There is a chance of some battleground snow towards T120hrs.

And still a shot at a more showery easterly flow.

One thing is for sure, Atlantic dominated weather? appears quite a while away.

That has me lost , the Atlantic moves into Germany ?

Getting on it is what the forum is all about.
    baraca wrote: »
    You weren't saying that earlier!
    Ach,I know it's going to be cold for a while,but with high pressure which is my idea of booooooooooring!
    Meanwhile,no northern blocking means only one thing and that is our high will eventually be displaced.
    Bitter cold is wafting across europe to the extent that it is because there are lows in the med.When they go,the highs will surely sink.

I've every confidence in cold for the next forthnight,best guess but none at all in snow now.
    Thats my hunch now based on behaviour so far and past experience.
    I've no idea whether it will pan out like that.
    I hope not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,483 ✭✭✭weisses

One thing is for sure, Atlantic dominated weather? appears quite a while away.

Try again .... :D

Atlantic dominated weather never left us down here

Drizzly fukcin depressing ****e :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 197 ✭✭Eastcoastryan

I just watch the RTE Weather after 9 news and Siobhan spoke about very cold after Wednesday with a tug of war between Low Pressure and High Pressure with heavy rain moving in from the west, with High Pressure winning out? Maybe I am totally wrong but is that not what caused yesterdays snow in the UK?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

18z GFS sending that "Battleground" as Siobhan called it back over to the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    18z GFS sending that "Battleground" as Siobhan called it back over to the UK.
    I'm shocked :eek::rolleyes:

It is Ryan.
    But the problems are just stacking up against any battle in Ireland.
    High pressure = little or no precipitation.
    Said high pressures anchoring too near us and our friend the Siberian high can't last forever.Its clock is ticking.

We'll see though, we'll see.
    It's all chaos theory that's driving this,with our single biggest handicap being as mentioned earlier, without northern blocking, this huge pond we're on the edge of is a perfect breeding ground for Atlantic rain storms.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

Welcome to the Irish Snow Roller-coaster.. we would like to remind passengers that tickets are on sale at your local chart or model outlet, Sick bags are located under your seat and for your pleasure/agony the exits are difficult to locate and escape from. (Fair warning, its a lot more difficult to walk away from the roller-coaster than you think, we blame wobbly leg syndrome) The Irish Snow Roller-coaster company do not take any responsibility for any mild weather or stalled fronts that may prevent the actual snow from arriving.

Enjoy the trip.... oh and handfuls of straws are handed out a +96h and +180h
    :pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

and if there is any snow out of the reload it will be in Donegal and along the West Coast....ie where the moisture is likely to be.

Well the 18z is a possible solution but i have not been using the 6z or 18z of late as i find them to be less reliable.

But yea, that wouldn't be a pretty outlook, dull and limited frosts. Looking at the ECM Ensembles it would fall within the worst 10-20 percentile ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭aboyro

eskimocat wrote: »
    Welcome to the Irish Snow Roller-coaster.. we would like to remind passengers that tickets are on sale at your local chart or model outlet, Sick bags are located under your seat and for your pleasure/agony the exits are difficult to locate and escape from. (Fair warning, its a lot more difficult to walk away from the roller-coaster than you think, we blame wobbly leg syndrome) The Irish Snow Roller-coaster company do not take any responsibility for any mild weather or stalled fronts that may prevent the actual snow from arriving.

Enjoy the trip.... oh and handfuls of straws are handed out a +96h and +180h
    :pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

No Selling on the weather forum please, use adverts.ie:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

image9.png

Departure of temperature from average as analyzed by the GFS model, for February 2, 2012.
    Remarkably cold air was present over Europe and western Alaska.

Makes you wonder have we missed the boat on this one.
    Could of been so much different in here if we were invited to the party.

redsunset wrote: »
    Could of been so much different in here if we were invited to the party.
    C Would of been so much different in here if we were invited to the party.

OH! And I forgot to mention that someone will post a 'they have all gone spastic on netweather' post and someone else will post a Vogan with no comment as to the contents of the Vogan because they think that posting a Vogan is of more use than listening to it. All of this in the next 24 hours in this very forum.

Now that's a weather prediction, what! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭pauldry

the snowlercoaster in ireland has more downs than ups.

its quite rare we get snow in winter in general. In the horrid 90s we had barely any. 2000 we got a fair bit at Christmas. Then of course there was the last two spells in January and December 2010. In 2011 there was only snow on the morning of January 5th in Sligo and again early December for a couple of hours.

In 2012 there has been only two more episodes of short lived stuff that turned to rain quite quickly. Has Dublin had any snow since December 2010. Over 400 days ago.

I doubt we will get a lot out of this Siberian High either. Once it comes, if it comes it will probably be a prelude to milder wet weather.

This week will get cold from Wednesday but only frosts and a lot of dry weather. I dont mind that. It has generally been raining here since April 2011.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭rilz

jo06555 wrote: »
    Here we go again : ( ll check back at half 9 and we will be looking at +10 temps for week ahead ;) so unpredictable
    HAHA UR FUNNY!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭konman

not sure where to post this but the better knowledgable here on about a greenland high establishing or not, but if im not mistaken didnt we have a greenland high much of may, june, july, august and september last year?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

The charts so far today don't inspire much confidence in a proper cold outbreak :(

The charts this morning have moved away from a likely wintry cold incursion.

It still looks to remain chilly this week with frosts increasingly harsh towards Thursday, however as we move towards the weekend it is possible we will find ourselves on the mild Atlantic side of the High Pressure zone rather than on the cold, clear frosty, continental side.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

The charts so far today don't inspire much confidence in a proper cold outbreak :(

A slightly chilly no mans land!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,326 ✭✭✭arctictree

Heading off to Germany for a couple of days this evening. At least I'll get a taste of this cold snap...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

arctictree wrote: »
    Heading off to Germany for a couple of days this evening. At least I'll get a taste of this cold snap...

Nice, get pics !

• Registered Users Posts: 26 SandraD

I've been following Simon Keeling most of the winter and he's been pretty much spot on in all his forecasting - he's going with a brief return to colder conditions before a milder westerly influence in the short to mid range and all models (GSF & ECWMF) currently supporting this. http://www.weatherweb.net/wxwebtv2.php?code=ePujQPvp7tc

So for this winter I'm saying adieu and ola a hopefully warm, bright Sping/Summer!!! As for snow, well there's always next winter!!!! Still tis such a shame that all of Europe got invited to the snow party, but we got left out like billy no mates :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

I have to disagree with you about Keeling getting it spot on this winter.
    While I admire him for the time and effort he puts into his forecasts he kept finding cold spells which were more wishful thinking than anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭Vudgie

After being delayed for over 5 hours getting out of London yesterday I almost lost my appreciation for snow (almost!!!!).

I have to disagree with you about Keeling getting it spot on this winter.
    While I admire him for the time and effort he puts into his forecasts he kept finding cold spells which were more wishful thinking than anything else.

Nobody got it rite this winter , The whole winter has been a nowcast ,

The closest I have seen to being anywhere near correct was yourself with the call out Azores High many weeks ago and, MT, Glacier point (NW) and Su Campu although guidance is changing nearly on a daily basis !

Its been a tough winter for the LRF's have not seen such chopping and changing in the outputs from the models before , granted I have only really been following the weather with a huge interest the last 4 years.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

Nobody got it rite this winter

I got it right this winter, discounting the odd blizzard here or there.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement